MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
TapouT is now a sponsor of Kimbo Slice

KIMBO AND TAPOUT PARTNER TO CREATE EXCLUSIVE APPAREL LINE

Grand Terrace, CA (July 28, 2008) – TapouT, the premier mixed martial arts apparel, gear and lifestyle brand, announced today that the company will sponsor MMA superstar Kimbo Slice and create a joint apparel line under the TapouT brand. TapouT will be Kimbo’s exclusive apparel sponsor.

“Kimbo is the real deal,” said Mask, TapouT Founder. “He is the ultimate underdog who kept his nose to the grindstone and rose up to become one of the most well-known MMA fighters out there. Kimbo is tough, but full of heart, and we’re excited to take him from the cage to the clothing.”

“I want to thank the whole TapouT FAM for taking an interest in me and team Kimbo,” said Kimbo Slice. Also thank you guys for allowing us to be a part of your FAM… and the tightest gear out there. Hey man, my team is psyched, team Kimbo is psyched.”

Further details on the Kimbo/TapouT apparel line will be announced in the coming months.

Feb 7, 2006
A Closer Look at Pay-per-view Distribution

In discussing the most recent bond rating for the UFC, it was mentioned that Zuffa has been able to negotiate favorable terms with their PPV partners and that this has lead to greater profitability even though buys have remained flat. With the structure of PPV being a bit Byzantine, confusion on the topic often runs rampant when discussed online.

In order to shed some light on this often murky end of the business, MMAPayout.com spoke with an insider in the PPV industry who has negotiated many ppv distribution deals. While not privy to the exact terms of Zuffa’s agreements with PPV, he was able to clarify his perception of the revenue split and how UFC may be getting favorable terms:

In Demand deals are typically 50/40/10 splits. 50% goes directly to the cable companies, who actually own In Demand. 10% goes to In Demand and 40% goes to the event producer. I would think that it would be tough for Zuffa to modify their deal with In Demand, which last time I checked had approx 35 million homes. There would only be two options:

1) that the cable systems would take a smaller cut than the 50%. I would think this would be a tough sell. Beyond all other reasons, Zuffa would need to convince Comcast, Time Warner, Cablevision and all other MSOs (Multiple System Operators..read: your local cable company) to take less money. Not impossible, but I would think improbable.

2) that In Demand would take less than the 10% they require to act as a buffer between content producers and the MSOs. Not sure that is likely either.

Now, I wouldn’t think that UFC would have a tough time adjusting their deals with the satellite providers - Dish Network (Echostar) and DirecTV. These companies do not have to deal with individual cable systems. That is why prelim buyrate numbers come so quick from satellite providers - they have instant access to everything because it is in house. In Demand has to wait for all their individual affiliate systems to report in - actual numbers could take up to two months and sometimes it takes that long for even prelim numbers. That is why I think it would be difficult for UFC to modify their deal with In Demand and the MSOs - there are too many pieces to synchronize and get on the same page to accept less money.

UFC has always had a great relationship with DirecTV. I could see UFC getting them to change there deal to whatever they want. DirecTV they control their business and their are no affiliates to cut the split with. They also can modify the deal if necessary very easily.

The interesting thing would be how all of this effects the MFNs (Most Favored Nation Clause) in each contract. All of these PPV providers ask for an MFN. For instance, if the UFC told a PPV distributor they wanted a 50% cut, the distributor would ask them to rep and warrant that all other providers are getting no more than 50%, or that UFC is getting no greater than the percentage they are asking for anywhere else.” (MFN covers traditional cable AND satellite. The MFN has to work for ALL PPV distributors.)

This would really all come down to In Demand either taking less than their traditional 10% and/or the MSO’s taking less than their traditional 50%.

I think it is an important point to note that there is no way that UFC would be able to leverage a better deal than the WWE has because WWE would never allow it (AUTHOR’S NOTE: The WWE is THE player in the industry, with 2 decades of PPV history to back them up).

The general gist is that any concessions that are being made are mostly being done by the satellite providers, who don’t have a middleman they have to cut in. This gives them the flexibility to offer the UFC a better percentage than the cable companies.

Feb 7, 2006
which fights are televised on what channel?
CBS:
Middleweight title rematch
Robbie Lawler VS Scott Smith
Nick Diaz VS Tomas Denny
Welterweight title match
Jake Shields VS Nick Thompson
Shayna Baszler VS Cristiane Cyborg

Sho:
Heavyweight title match
Antonio Silva VS Justin Eilers
Rafael Feijao VS Travais Galbraith
Wilson Reis VS Bryan Caraway

Feb 7, 2006
EliteXC's Jake Shields and Nick Thompson flying under the radar

One week after the most action-packed weekend of mixed martial arts the world has ever seen, "EliteXC: Unfinished Business" is receiving noticeably less fanfare than the organization's first CBS broadcast.

Perhaps lost among the Affliction vs. UFC post-fight debates that have carried well into this week is the surprisingly well-stocked card that EliteXC has assembled for Saturday night.

Among those bouts that could steal the show from the main-event rematch of middleweight champion Robbie Lawler and Scott Smith is a match-up between two World Association of Mixed Martial Arts (WAMMA) top-10-ranked welterweight fighters, Jake Shields (20-4-1) and Nick Thompson (36-9-1), for EliteXC's first-ever 170-pound title.

The bout will represent one of the few meaningful match-ups available in the welterweight division outside the UFC. In fact, it is arguably one of the most significant 170-pound bouts ever contested outside the octagon.

Shields, currently ranked third by WAMMA, will bring a nine-fight winning streak into Saturday night. A nine-year veteran of the sport, the California native has fought all over the world and trains extensively with the Cesar Gracie Jiu-Jitsu camp.

Despite competing outside the UFC, Shields has compiled an impressive list of victories in earning his top-10 ranking. Shields first rose to prominence in 2003 with decision wins over Hayato "Mach" Sakurai and Akira Kikuchi while fighting for Shooto.

The break-out moment for the 29-year-old came in 2006, when Shields defeated both Carlos Condit and Yushin Okami in one evening to earn the Hawaii-based Rumble on the Rock's world 175-pound title. Since that night, Shields has won an additional five bouts, including four straight first-round finishes, to earn this title opportunity.

Thompson cracked the WAMMA top-10 list last week for the first time. One of the most active fighters in MMA, "The Goat" has already competed in 46 bouts in just five years of professional fighting.

The 27-year-old had his shot at the big time before, earning a win over Keith Wisniewski at UFC 56. Five months later, at UFC 59, Thompson submitted to strikes from Karo Parisyan -- and then parted ways with the organization.

Since that bout, Thompson has reeled off 12 consecutive victories, with only one bout going the full 15 minutes. While Thompson's record is spotted with several has-beens and never-will-bes, the Minnesota Mixed Martial Arts-trained fighter did earn several impressive wins in the now-defunct BodogFIGHT en route to becoming that organization's welterweight title-holder.

A submission over UFC veteran Ansar Chalangov, as well as TKO wins over Eddie Alvarez and Mark Weir, earned Thompson a spot in the upstart World Victory Road's Sengoku promotion in Japan earlier this year.

For Thompson, a win over Shields would prove his often-contested position in the world rankings as a legitimate contender.

For Shields, the victory is necessary to justify his lofty ranking despite the inability to test himself against the division's elite due to competing outside the UFC.

EliteXC officials have all but conceded that this weekend's Stockton, Calif. show will pale in comparison to its New Jersey predecessor. But for MMA fans, the card -- and the Shields vs. Thompson fight in particular -- should be required viewing.

Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson will be limited to signing autographs. The WWE-style promotion has been toned down in order to focus more on the actual MMA product.

And in arguably the most talent-rich division in the sport, two top-ranked fighters will battle it out on free, network television for a scheduled five rounds to determine a new champion. Catch your breath; the recent MMA frenzy hasn't stopped just yet.

Feb 7, 2006
"EliteXC: Unfinished Business" live weigh-ins

STOCKTON, CALIF. -- MMAjunkie.com was live in "the 209" and on scene at the Stockton Arena in Stockton, Calif., for today's "EliteXC: Unfinished Business" weigh-ins.

The same venue will host Saturday's return to network television for EliteXC, which features a main event rematch between EliteXC middleweight champion Robbie Lawler and challenger Scott Smith.

Two other titles will be also on the line tomorrow night. Jake Shields and Nick Thompson will compete for the vacant EliteXC welterweight title on the CBS portion of the evening's broadcast, while Justin Eilers and Antonio Silva will decide the first-ever EliteXC heavyweight champion during the Showtime broadcast.

All 22 fighters taking place in the event hit the scales shortly after 5 p.m. ET (2 p.m. PT).

Tomorrow's broadcast will begin at 8 p.m. ET/PT on the premium-cable channel Showtime before switching over to CBS for a two-hour slot at 9 p.m. ET/PT.

Complete weigh-in results were:

MAIN CARD (CBS)

Champ Robbie Lawler (184.5) vs. Scott Smith (185) (for EliteXC middleweight title)
Thomas Denny (159) vs. Nick Diaz (159.5)
Jake Shields (169.5) vs. Nick Thompson (169.5) (for vacant EliteXC welterweight title)
Shayna Baszler (139) vs. Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos (140)
David Douglas (157) vs. Marlon Mathias (161) (swing bout)
MAIN CARD (SHOWTIME)

Justin Eilers (218) vs. Antonio Silva (257.5) (for vacant EliteXC heavyweight title)
Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante (203.5) vs. Travis Galbraith (202)
Brian Caraway (140.5) vs. Wilson Reis (139.5)
PRELIMINARY CARD

Mike Cook (232.5) vs. Carl Seumanutafa (255.5)
Drew Montgomery (224) vs. Brandon Tarn (252)
Jeremy Freitag (205) vs. Anthony Ruiz (206)

Feb 7, 2006
Robbie Lawler and Scott Smith ready for another prime-time performance

Say what you will about EliteXC's initial attempt at bringing MMA to the masses. "Kimbo Slice," Busta Rhymes and booty-dancers certainly proved to be a recipe more suitable for criticism than success.

Tonight, in Stockton, Calif., EliteXC has put together a competitive card far more appealing to the tastes of hardcore MMA fans. And the highlight of the CBS and Showtime broadcasts may very well be the resumption of the May battle between EliteXC middleweight champion Robbie Lawler (17-4) and challenger Scott Smith (13-4).

"I'm excited about this fight," Smith told the media in a recent press conference. "My eye and foot are 100 percent."

The original bout between Smith and Lawler was halted in the third round, when an inadvertent eye-poke from Lawler left Smith unable to clearly see. Smith also expressed additional concerns of a broken foot at that evening's post-fight press conference.

The California-native said those issues will not factor into the rematch.

"It was a non-issue," Smith said of the injuries. "I was practicing and running a week after the fight so the foot was no problem. No breaks. And the eye was just a little blurry that night. It was fine the next day."

Lawler also expressed his excitement for the rematch, and he feels what happened in the first 13 minutes and 26 seconds between the fighters will have no bearing on this evening's results.

"It feels good to be fighting again," Lawler said. "I look at it as a new fight, and I kind of look at as we've never fought before."

Lawler, known throughout his eight-year career for his heavy hands, had won four straight bouts via KO or TKO heading into the first bout with Smith. Three of those wins came at the expense of Murilo "Ninja" Rua, Frank Trigg and Joey Villasenor, and they propelled Lawler to his current position as the No. 4-ranked middleweight by the World Alliance of Mixed Martial Arts.

Lawler credits the recent success to an increased focus on the mental side of the game, as well as learning to relax in the cage.

"I've been working on my game like a professional, trying to work on every aspect," Lawler said. "And working on my mental (game), where I think about fighting all the time. I guess it made me better.

"Before, I was just going out there and trying to kill the guy. Now I just try to pick him apart and look for my chance."

While most experts favor Lawler in the bout, Smith believes he has continued to improve since the first, abruptly halted fight.

"I've improved every day," Smith said. "I made some big mistakes in that (first) fight.

"Obviously in the first round of the last fight, Robbie kicked my butt. And I felt throughout the fight I improved a little bit. And I'm just trying to keep that going and be ready for Saturday night as a different, better fighter."

Lawler is also ready to leave the first match-up behind and defend his EliteXC middleweight title.

"I'm not focusing on that (first fight) anymore," Lawler said. "I'm focusing on this next fight. And I don't care how that last one went. I just need to go out there and get the job done."

Both fighters will bring heavy hands and an attacking style to the cage yet again this evening. And while their first affair may not have been the evening's official main event, it was certainly one of the highlights of "EliteXC: PRIMETIME."

EliteXC officials have publicly expressed their tempered enthusiasm for tonight's television ratings. But if Lawler and Smith's first bout is any indication -- and EliteXC holds true to their promises of a revamped presentation -- the two middleweights may cap off a far more successful venture for EliteXC into MMA than any numbers can indicate.

Feb 7, 2006
AOKI TALKS TOURNAMENT FORMAT

Mixed martial arts tournaments are among the most grueling rights of passage for any fighter. When populated with top-tier opponents, a fighter’s ability to make it to the finals is based as much on luck as on skill.

Dream’s fifth installment, a Lightweight Grand Prix held on July 21, underscored this fact again when tournament alternate Joachim Hansen, earlier eliminated by Eddie Alvarez in the quarterfinals, stepped in for an injured Alvarez in the finals and defeated Shinya Aoki to take the tournament.

Aoki, 25, was a front-runner in the tournament, and largely fulfilled expectations by submitting his way through most of the contest. But after emerging victorious from a long grappling match with Caol Uno in the opening round of the semi-finals, the physical toll of the tournament began to show.

“For me, the final round was kind of secondary,” he explained to reporters after the event. “The first round was that big. I was so sore in my body as well. He was very strong and powerful. I have never complained about him, but to be honest with you, he is very strong.”

Aoki had Uno’s back for a good portion of the fight, and fought for every inch of positional dominance. Though he took a few shots when Uno was in his much-vaunted guard, his control of the ground game was the key to victory.

Hansen had submitted Canadian Kultar Gill relatively easily in his earlier alternate match, and entered the ring with Aoki a fresher man. Aoki could tell something was wrong from the outset.

“I tried to close in,” he said. “I was tired from the Uno fight. My legs didn’t move. I was trying to go straight after him and got punched.”

Flat on his feet, Aoki felt there was little he could do to sway the outcome of the fight.

“I saw that nothing was going to stop him from doing what he did,” he continued.

After rushing to pull guard in the opening minute of the first round, Aoki’s exhaustion caught up to him. As he tried to ensnare Hansen on the ground, Hansen managed to fire off a crushing left hand that rocked him. Several right hands later, Hansen was the tournament victor.

The format was new for Aoki, and lessons have been learned. He said participation in future tournaments will not be based on his opponent, but whether he feels up to eventually facing two men in a single night.

“It’s not a matter of the opponent,” he said. “I was tired from the fight with Uno. After the fight with Uno, I just felt like I didn’t have the fight in me. It’s very difficult to tell. After the semi-final, how much have you rested physically and mentally?”

To fight the world’s best in one night — that’s the luck of the draw.

Feb 7, 2006
MATT LINDLAND ON HIS VICTORIOUS RETURN

It had been over a year since Matt “The Law” Lindland had last competed, prior to his win over Fabio Negao at this past weekend’s Affliction: Banned show.

In that time the middleweight division has seen its share of changes, but mainly, do to his inactivity, Lindland saw Anderson Silva rise to the top of the division.

However, with a new multi-fight deal with Affliction, and an opportunity to compete on a higher level again with more consistency, Matt can begin to work his way back up the rankings and prove that he belongs in that top spot, starting with his win over Negao.

Speaking to MMAWeekly from his home in Oregon, Lindland discussed his returning performance, his fighting career goals, and what lays ahead for his other pursuits; politics, Team Quest and Sportfight.

MMAWeekly: First off Matt, how did it feel getting back into action for the first time in over a year?

Matt Lindland: I felt great. I was excited to get in there and go. I just couldn’t figure out why I was so winded, and then I got home and I went to the doctor and got diagnosed with phenomena, so I figured it out. But yeah, it was a long break. I was excited when I got in the ring. I ran across the ring and touched gloves even before we got instructions. So, I was ready to go, yeah, for sure.

MMAWeekly: Illness aside, what do you think of what you were able to do in the fight, technically?

Matt Lindland: I felt like I performed pretty well. My technique was pretty good. I threw some nice high kicks and a couple of body kicks. I dropped him, landed punches and was close to a submission – there’s a lot of positive stuff out of that fight. As an athlete you’re always looking to improve, and I certainly came away from it knowing there’s a lot of things I could do better.

You know, he didn’t come after me real hard. He was more of a counter guy in that fight, so it made me push the action and initiate everything. Basically if he would have came at me and pushed to win the bout more, it would have opened up more stuff for me, but I didn’t have that luxury.

MMAWeekly: It appeared you had him in trouble a couple times in the fight on the ground, but the ring didn’t allow for you to control him a cage would have. Was the ring a factor in the fight for you?

Matt Lindland: Yeah, I think for that fight – since we spent so much time on the ground – that a cage would have been better, but esthetically I like the ring better. Personally, just for esthetics I think it looks more sporting. Honestly if it’s a ring or a cage, I don’t really have a preference to tell you the truth.

MMAWeekly: Having fought in a multitude of shows over the years, what do you think of what Affliction did this past weekend?

Matt Lindland: I was impressed with them. I think they did a great job. I don’t know if they’re going to make their money back on Pay-Per-View or not, or if they’re making money off selling merchandise, but they’ve got Donald Trump involved, so I’m sure they have a good business plan.

They’d said that they were ready to lose money the first couple of shows, and I think anyone who gets into this business has to be ready to make those kind of investments to put together a new show and organization.

Look at all these other shows… Bodog had the money to continue, they just decided it wasn’t worth it. The IFL, I think they made mistakes along the way and spent maybe more than they needed too. But these guys (Affliction) sold a lot of tickets. I don’t think the IFL did a show close to this number of tickets sold.

MMAWeekly: Did they give you any indication afterwards that they were going to make a push and bring in more talent for you to round out the middleweight division?

Matt Lindland: There was some guys, some names mentioned. Certainly the guy they have on the roster now at 185 was Vitor (Belfort), and he looked phenomenal. But yeah, they mentioned some other big names. I certainly hope so, because I have a couple more fights with them. I certainly hope that the Affliction guys use me on their next show. It was great to back in there, and getting my legs back under me, it was fun. I want to compete as much as I can.

MMAWeekly: During the broadcast, Jay Glazer mentioned how good it was to see you fighting again, and the fans sure appeared to have the same notion. It’s got to feel good knowing you’ve still got a ton of people behind you that missed you this past year.

Matt Lindland: Absolutely, I felt like there was a lot of support. I don’t think it was necessarily my best performance, but I step up to the level of competition I face, and I think it was stylistic-wise, Fabio wasn’t in there to make me look good. He was in there to make a statement that he could hang for three rounds and he didn’t allow me to show how I have improved over the last couple of years. I still think I was able to show a lot.

I had a lot of people telling me that they were looking forward to watching me. Honestly, I had 37 text messages after that fight telling me congratulations and it was good to see me fight. That’s a lot of people; I didn’t even know I had that many people in my phone book. I was getting all that support going into the fight, so it was great.

MMAWeekly: Okay, now tell us about some of the things you’ve got going on outside the ring. Can you update us on Team Quest, Sportfight and your political run for office?

Matt Lindland: I’ve got a couple guys coming off IFL contracts, so we’re in negotiations right now to find all those guys homes. I’m sure you’ll be the first to hear pretty soon when we’ll get everyone landed, but those negotiations are going well. I’ve got a great gym manager, Scott McKendry, who is doing a real phenomenal job increasing memberships.

The weekend I was fighting at the Affliction show, he hosted the FILA grappling event, and we had over 50 competitors there. We qualified a bunch of guys for the new FILA grappling tournament, world team trials. He’s experimenting some in Marketing, adding Gi classes with Fabiano Schrener there teaching, a Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt. The gym is really becoming a turn-key operation for us, with the base we built and the new manager we got in there.

The Sportfight promotion is continuing to go. I’m just trying to pull myself away a little more and just become more of the match-maker and the guy that oversees things, rather than the guy who does everything. I’ve got Chris Moss on the production side, and I’m looking to get someone new to help come in on the promotion side and help with the marketing and all that kind of stuff. I’m just really getting myself more organized. I just recently hired a personal assistant, so I have that in place.

I have a great campaign manager named Tootie Smith, she was the former representative in the neighboring district, and she’s on board with my campaign now. We had a strategic meeting the other day and we’ve got some fundraising events being set up; some door-knocking, campaigning event scheduled, and just getting the game plan in place. Now it’s just a matter of executing everything and moving forward. I’m still looking to raise more money to win this election. MattForOregon.com is the website to direct people to if they want to see me legislature.

MMAWeekly: Sounds good, Matt. Thanks for taking the time for this interview. Is there anything you want to say in closing?

Matt Lindland: I want to thank my new sponsor for this event, that were great to have them behind me, Grenade Gloves. They make snowboarding gloves and apparel right here in Oregon. Danny Kass, an Olympic silver medal winner, X-Games champion, and one of the co-owners of the company came down and supported me. I’m looking forward to continue a long relationship with those guys. Dirty Boxer, this is the year that we’re going to see a lot of promotion for them and getting our apparel line out. And, a special thanks to Clinch Gear for making my custom shorts.

Keep blowing up the message boards and letting people know you want to see me back in the ring. Make some suggestions on opponents, because I’m open to fighting anybody. So if there anyone in particular that fans want to see me fight, let us know. There’s a couple guys that I’d like to avenge some losses against like Murilo Bustamante and David Terrell, but I’m open to fighting whoever the fans want to see me fight.

Apr 25, 2002
Good lookin out on that Inside MMa. It wouldve been nice to see Joseph Benavidez shock the world winning against Kid. Hes a good kid with so much potential, its just the beginning of whats gonna be a bright n golden future....

Apr 25, 2002
I think theres one probably a few pages back. Thats why Im proud of the city where I'm living after the fight the news started off with them on location in Stockton. they give it up to the local fighters. Nicky KO'd the fuck outta Denny. Im glad I caught that one as soon as the margarito fight finished. They was giving Diaz his shine time....

We was gonna hit up the red rhino last night in Antioch where Diaz was gonna party at, but instead we hit up a bar downtown Sac. Joseph Benavidez was chillin, chopped it up for a min wit him before a big ass fight started haha....

Feb 7, 2006
Wilson Reis moves one step closer to EliteXC title shot

STOCKTON, Calif. -- In just 12 short months as a professional fighter, EliteXC 140-pound ground wizard Wilson Reis (5-0) has propelled himself to the forefront of the organization.

With a scrappy, unanimous-decision win over a capable Bryan Caraway at Saturday's "EliteXC: Unfinished Business," Reis now appears to be at the top of the list for EliteXC's inaugural 140-pound title.

"I said before the fight that Wilson Reis is a guy that we would put up against anybody at 140 pounds," EliteXC Head of Fight Operations Jeremy Lappen said. "I think he had a real test tonight. I think it was tougher than he thought it was going to be."

Reis, who has won three bouts in 2008 under the EliteXC and ShoXC banners, was indeed tested by his opponent. Caraway brought in a seven-fight win streak of his own, and he seemed intent on keeping that streak intact.

Caraway took advantage of a sizeable reach discrepancy, and he tagged Reis often during the brief moments he was able to keep the fight standing.

"[Caraway] caught me," Reis told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "I felt one punch right in my eyes. I was kind of seeing both of him.

"When I tried to take him down with a single leg, he caught me with a knee. I'm in real good shape. I work hard on my conditioning training everyday. I think being in good shape helped me to handle all of the shots."

Caraway told the media that Reis' tenacity was difficult to deal with.

"Wilson had a good game plan, came out and stuck to it," Caraway said. "I forgot I was a wrestler. He threw my game off a little bit."

Reis said the staunch opposition offered by Caraway will prove valuable in the future.

"It was a big lesson for me, this fight," Reis said. "I made mistakes in my boxing. ... My hands didn't work well. I'm going to go back to the gym, work my stand-up. He was taller, and that was tough, too. It gave me trouble. I will get better in my striking."

Lappen also felt that Reis would be served well by improving his striking. But the PreElite official also felt the world-class ground game of Reis put him on the short list for a title shot.

"I think [Reis] showed some things he needed to work on tonight," Lappen said. "But the skill that guy has is amazing.

"We want to do 140-pound title soon. And there's some good 140-pounders out there. We've got them coming in, and we'll probably bring a title in by the end of the year."

Reis, just 23 years old, is excited for the opportunity, and he believes his time has already come.

"I won," Reis said. "That's all that matters to me -- I won.

"I will watch the tape and see what I did wrong and try to fix that. I won my fifth fight, and I'm undefeated. I'm going to go home and train hard for my next one. I'm happy here in EliteXC, and hopefully, I get bigger and better fights. I think I deserve it."

Feb 7, 2006
Terry Martin well-prepared to bounce back from recent defeat

On July 19 Terry Martin (17-6) suffered a crushing knockout defeat at the hands of a resurgent Vitor Belfort at Affliction's debut event, "Banned."

But if anyone can overcome adversity, it's Martin, a Chicago native who has been seemingly fighting to survive since grade school.

The hard-hitting knockout artist divulged a very personal side of his non-fighting life while a guest on a recent edition of TAGG Radio (www.taggradio.com), the official radio partner of MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), and revealed a Terry Martin that many fans don't know.

"A lot of people don't know this, but I had gangbanged my whole life -- since the age of 10," Martin admitted.

Street life and low expectations were simply a way of life for Martin, who grew up in one of Chicago's roughest neighborhoods on the city's south side.

"I was always told, 'You will never amount to anything. ... You won't live to the age of 16,'" Martin said.

Many of his naysayers were almost proven right in the summer of 1996, when a 15-year-old Martin was a victim of a drive-by shooting. The attack left Martin in critical condition from five bullet wounds sustained to his leg and chest.

"If you have ever seen me fight, and you see those cuts in my side and those holes in my back ... those are bullet holes," the 27-year-old fighter said. "I still have a bullet lodged in my lower back."

The ordeal convinced Martin to focus less on life in the streets and more on his education, and he eventually became the first in his immediate family to graduate high school. In fact, the former gang member has since gone on to earn a bachelor's of science degree, a master's degree, and he is currently a doctoral candidate at the Adler School of Psychology in Chicago.

And Martin has accomplished all of this while competing in 23 professional MMA bouts and his recent pro-boxing debut.

The soft-spoken fighter is now so demure that even his closest peers in academia are shocked to find out about the other Terry Martin.

"I was sitting in class, and one of the other students recognized me from a (UFC) pay-per-view (event)," Martin said. "She was like, 'Oh, my God. I never knew (you were a fighter). You are so mellow.'"

When he is not studying or training, Martin is telling his story to the next generation. The college graduate hopes to inspire others to follow his example.

"Now I talk to little kids," Martin said. "I have a lot of people who look up to me."

Martin has made a name for himself in MMA through his heavy hands. But it is his heavy commitment to his education that has made him a hero in his old neighborhood.

"I ended up turning my life around ... by staying in school," Martin said.

Feb 7, 2006
Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos levels the path to Gina Carano

EliteXC didn't have a Russian to answer Affliction's main event this past weekend. But the organization was able to bring in a "Cyborg."

At Saturday's "EliteXC: Unfinished Business" event, women's MMA was once again broadcast nationwide via CBS. And while May's debut broadcast focused on the looks and charisma of Gina Carano, Saturday's action saw a Brazilian terminator, Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos (5-0), make a splash on the female MMA scene.

"[Santos] is one of the most vicious, brutal women in the sport," EliteXC Head of Fight Operations Jeremy Lappen told the media at a post-fight press conference. "She has an unbelievably aggressive style."

Santos weathered an early storm, as opponent Shayna Baszler flashed signs of the ground prowess that has earned her nine career submission victories. Diving for leg locks early and often, Baszler slowed Santos' aggression by putting her on the defensive.

But when the second round began, a fatigued Baszler allowed Santos to find her range. What followed was part bizarre, part chaotic, but all brutality deserving of any "Greatest Knokcouts" DVD.

Baszler, who was trapped against the cage, began eating heavy straight punches from Santos. Eventually, the onslaught crumpled Baszler to the mat, and Santos began her celebration -- prematurely.

"After I saw [Baszler] on the ground, I went to celebrate," Santos said through an interpreter. "It took a little while to realize that it wasn't a knockout, and I went and did it again."

In a repeat of the pre-celebratory beatdown, Santos resumed her aggressive demeanor and delivered more shots that would make any of her Chute Boxe training partners proud -- female or male.

"[Santos] fights like a Chute Boxe fighter," Lappen said. "I think you're going to hear a lot from this lady. I think she took the world by storm tonight."

With the face of female MMA a few feet from the cage, the immediate assumption from those in attendance was that a Carano vs. Santos bout was on the horizon. Lappen told the gathered media the fight was not a foregone conclusion.

"Gina's one of our superstars," Lapen said. "I think [Santos] just entered that superstar realm as well. That's a fight we'd definitely love to see. Whether it's next, I don't know."

Santos, for her part, cared less about who would stand in front of her next furious onslaught and more about what might adorn her waist following the bout.

"I have a lot more to show," Santos said. "And I would like to entertain the fans. I have a lot more coming.

"I would like to compete for the belt."

Carano has already proven herself an undeniable marketing success. With Santos emerging as an immediate force in the women's division by delivering a measure of aggression not yet seen by most women's MMA observers, a Carano bout would seem to be imminent.

And while Lappen was unready to commit on when we may be able to see the match-up, the EliteXC official understood it's a bout that fans will certainly demand.

"I think after tonight, people are going to want to see that fight, so look for it in the future."

Feb 7, 2006
CBS/EliteXC press right buttons in round two of "Saturday Night Fights"

The second installment of EliteXC's "Saturday Night Fights" last night in Stockton, Calif. delivered a sharply different telecast than the inaugural broadcast in May and showed that the CBS/EliteXC partnership is clicking.

While the May 31 telecast produced blockbuster ratings, making it the most-watched MMA event in the sport's history, many longtime fans blasted the show. Everything from the announcing crew to the officiating to the show's production came under heavy scrutiny.

Whether CBS or EliteXC will admit it or not, much of what was criticized in the first show was changed dramatically for the second telecast. Last night's broadcast emphasized the action in the cage, not the spectacle around it. Gone were the absurdly long walks to the cage and the gyrating dancers that turned a portion of the first broadcast into a music video gone bad.

In addition, the pace of the show was much improved, moving from fight to fight with just enough in the way of packaged video vignettes for fans to develop a measure of understanding about who the fighters are and what makes 'em tick.

Unlike in the first broadcast in which there was a conscious decision not to show the "agony-of-defeat video" of Kaitlin Young after she was beaten to a pulp by Gina Carano, this time, the producer cut to a post-fight shot of Shayna Baszler following her meltdown against Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos. As viewers, male or female, we want to see the entire outcome of a fight -- and that includes the sometimes-brutal pictures that tell the tale. We also want to know that fighters are OK, and, in Baszler's case, we saw that she will live to fight another day -- though probably not against Santos.

By the way, what a tremendous fight. Baszler did everything she could to keep the match horizontal and apply her submission skills, but Santos was just too strong and, whoa, that woman throws some devastating leather. At only 5-0, Santos is a neophyte in MMA, and virtually no expert gave her a shot against the more-seasoned Baszler, but Santos' Muay Thai background and strength make her a legit contender.

Setting the stage for Kimbo and Carano

While the No. 1 objective of the broadcast was to highlight compelling fights, a secondary goal was whetting the MMA appetite for what's to come.

While discussions of definitive opponents were not part of the interviews, both Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson and Carano were hyped on the show, with Karyn Bryant conducting interviews with both fighters. The Q-and-A with Carano was particularly good, as she was pumped up by Santos' performance and made it clear that she wants "Cyborg" in October.

Slice talked about how his life has changed now that he is one of the superstar faces of MMA and how his next fight in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. will be a thrill for his hometown fans in nearby Miami.

It also was a smart move to put Nick Diaz on this card. Love him or hate him, Diaz stirs the pot, which is good for business. If he keeps winning, he will be an important part of the CBS-EliteXC mix going forward.

With the right opponents for Slice and Carano -- and that's Brett Rogers and Santos, respectively -- plus a couple of other high-profile fights, such as a KJ Noons-Diaz rematch, the Oct. 4 CBS show would have the necessary star quality to take a run at the record ratings produced in May. The added competition of college football will tamp down the audience to a degree, but with the right build-up, mega-ratings are possible.

Advertisers on board

Any question as to whether MMA on network TV would resonate with Madison Avenue was answered with the May 31 telecast, when CBS sold out its advertising inventory for the show. The network hasn't commented on the going rate for a 30-second spot on its MMA telecasts, but a commercial during typical Saturday night programming sells for approximately $60,000.

CBS might have dropped the price a bit to entice advertisers the first time, but after the ratings win in May, no discounting was necessary last night. Burger King was back as a presenting sponsor. And, in an interesting move, the new animated Star Wars movie "The Clone Wars" also was a presenting sponsor, with the movie logo stamped on the fight match-up graphics. Apparently, MMA fans like Star Wars, too.

Last night's show didn't have the necessary pre-event hype or star power to challenge the May ratings. However, the telecast itself was a far better production and the fight action was stellar.

The aforementioned Baszler-Santos match-up was highly entertaining, as was the standup affair between Diaz and Thomas Denny, and Jake Shields showed the boys and girls at home what submission technique is all about in beating Nick Thompson to claim his long-overdue welterweight crown. And, at the end of the night, the middleweight title fight between Robbie Lawler and Scott Smith proved it was worthy of its main-event status.

This time around, fans should have little to gripe about, as CBS and EliteXC produced a polished telecast of a top-flight sporting event -- not a circus.