MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
$25,000 AWARD BONUSES AT UFC FIGHT NIGHT 14

Following an exciting night of fights in the Pearl at the Palms in Las Vegas, which included highly regarded pound-for-pound king Anderson Silva dispatching of challenger James Irvin in just over one minute, the Ultimate Fighting Championship handed out fighter bonuses to some of the participants of UFC Fight Night 14.

Following a successful run in the International Fight League, Miletich fighter Rory Markham realized his dream by competing inside the world famous Octagon. He did not disappoint in his debut. After some tough exchanges with opponent Brodie Farber, it was Markham who uncorked an absolutely devastating head kick that knocked his opponent out cold.

With the victory, Markham not only won his UFC debut, but he also picked up a $25,000 bonus for “Knockout of the Night.”

While everyone assumed the match-up would have happened during the seventh season of “The Ultimate Fighter,” it took until Saturday night for former wrestling adversaries C.B. Dollaway and Jesse Taylor to compete in the UFC against each other.

Dollaway helped to erase the memory of his last fight against Amir Sadollah, by submitting his former housemate with his signature move, the Peruvian Neck Tie, and earning himself $25,000 for “Submission of the Night.”

Coming off a loss, Frankie Edgar had something extra to prove, while Hermes Franca had just as much to prove after sitting out for more than a year due to a steroid suspension handed down after his last fight against Sean Sherk in July 2007.

Franca and Edgar went to war for the duration of their 15-minute affair, exchanging positions, working on the ground and feet. For their efforts, they each earned $25,000 for “Fight of the Night” honors.

UFC FIGHT NIGHT 14 AWARD BONUSES
(as disclosed by UFC officials)
Each fighter earned $25,000 for the following awards.

Fight of the Night:
-Frankie Edgar and Hermes Franca

Knockout of the Night:
-Rory Markham

Submission of the Night:
-C.B. Dollaway

Jul 24, 2005
The Top 5 Performances by Top Fighters

by Tomas Rios

Few things in sports can equal the pure thrill of an evenly matched fight. Nothing, however, is quite so awe-inspiring as witnessing a fighter at the top of his game.

Seeing an athlete operate on a level that literally no one else can begin to approach while he picks apart the very best the world has to offer is a rare sight. Yet MMA has been lucky enough to have a select few reach those heights.

With the performances of this past weekend’s two pound-for-pound juggernauts in mind, we take a look back at the fights that kept us all in hushed awe or sent us into postfight hysterics.

Either way, witnessing the best operate at their very best is something that deserves to be remembered, so sit back and enjoy a trip down busted-heads lane.

5. Emelianenko vs. Sylvia -- July 19, 2008

Nearly three years removed from facing a legitimate heavyweight. Rumors of a training camp injury. Closing in on his 32nd birthday. Facing a younger opponent who dwarfs skyscrapers.

Dealing with those circumstances, you could almost excuse a letdown from Fedor Emelianenko (Pictures), whose almost robotic efficiency has become more assumed than appreciated.

The let down, however, came from Tim Sylvia (Pictures), whose gargantuan frame buckled in just 36 seconds under the Russian cyborg’s assault. Just like that, we were all reminded that the “I Never Lose” mantra emblazoned on Emelianenko’s T-shirts is meant to be taken seriously.

So while the evening was meant to be all about the debut of Affliction’s MMA promotion, we all walked away with a reminder that Emelianenko is the greatest heavyweight we’ve seen in our still young sport. Whether it was the skull-jarring punches that sent Sylvia to the canvas or the modified serial killer choke that had him tapping out in short order, everyone left with something to be impressed about -- Sylvia included.

The former UFC heavyweight champion summed up the evening: “I don’t think Fedor is human. He is by far the best fighter in the world.”

Anyone care to argue?

4. Silva vs. Franklin -- Oct. 14, 2006

The general consensus was that Anderson Silva (Pictures) is good, but would he be good enough to beat then UFC middleweight champion Rich Franklin (Pictures)?

Probably not, given Franklin’s reign of terror over the middleweight division and the cerebral style that made him known for zoning in on his opponent’s every weak spot and exploiting them with mathematical precision.

All that changed the evening of Oct. 14, 2006. Silva put Franklin in the Thai plum and proceeded to deliver one of the most stunning displays of pure muay Thai this sport has ever seen. Knee after knee crashed into Franklin’s midsection until Silva started finding openings upstairs. It wouldn’t be long until Franklin was laid out on the canvas, dazed, confused and the recipient of a pro bono nose job.

The result prompted the usual line of “IT IS ALL OVER!” from Mike Goldberg, but it was just the beginning for “The Spider.”

Now one of the premier pound-for-pound fighters in the entire sport, Silva’s muay Thai clinic at UFC 64 will forever be remembered as the night this sport christened a legend.

3. Couture vs. Rizzo II -- Nov. 2, 2001

Randy Couture (Pictures) got lucky. Most in attendance and watching live had Pedro Rizzo (Pictures) up on their scorecards when they faced off at UFC 31.

Luckily, the three ringside judges disagreed, and Couture got to keep his UFC heavyweight title. However, the specter of that controversial win haunted both Couture and the UFC, so a rematch was set for UFC 34.

At first, the bout appeared to be as evenly matched as the first go-round. Then Couture scored a takedown halfway through the first round.

Without anyone realizing it, the end had already begun. Couture unloaded on Rizzo for the remainder of the round with the bell being the only thing that gave Rizzo the slightest spark of hope. A spark that was quickly snuffed out thanks to a flawless ground-and-pound offensive by Couture that turned Rizzo’s face into a Jackson Pollack and forced a merciful stoppage.

As much as the MMA cognoscenti praise Couture’s late-career resurgence, UFC 34 marked the evening that the world discovered a true heavyweight superstar.

2. Silva vs. Sakuraba: March 25, 2001

Just business as usual for then Pride middleweight champion Kazushi Sakuraba (Pictures), who was matched against all-around savage Wanderlei Silva (Pictures). Imposing as Silva can be, this was Sakuraba in the ring, the man who had made a career out of taking out larger opponents with his combination of unorthodox grappling and fearless guile.

Pride 13 was going to be just another opportunity for Sakuraba to impress us all and cement his status as a pound-for-pound phenom.

Apparently no one told Silva, who showed MMA fans the world over that he takes his “Axe Murderer” persona quite seriously. He all but dismembered Sakuraba in the ring. In less than two minutes, he displaced the Japanese fighter as Pride’s middleweight champion and established himself as the most feared fighter on the planet.

The in-ring homicides continue to this day for Silva, but none is remembered quite so vividly as when he destroyed one legend in building his own.

1. St. Pierre vs. Hughes II: Nov. 18, 2006

There is “good” and then there is “scary good.”

When Georges St. Pierre (Pictures) is on his game, he personifies the term and never was he quite so “scary good” as when he avenged his loss to Matt Hughes (Pictures) at UFC 65.

For six long minutes and 25 excruciating seconds, there was nothing Hughes, the supposed greatest welterweight of all time, could do to St. Pierre. It was as if we were witnessing a seminar and St. Pierre had pulled Hughes out of the crowd so he could demonstrate a few moves.

The thought that Hughes had once beaten St. Pierre seemed almost laughable, as he was picked apart in virtually every aspect of the game with seeming ease by his young usurper. Those six-plus minutes remain one of the most aesthetically beautiful displays of what has been decried as a sport built on barbarism and violence instead of respect and skill.

The beauty to be found in St. Pierre’s performance that evening was clear to all. Should anyone come forward to say otherwise, I suppose the only fitting response is pity.

Pity that you’re missing out on something truly special

Jul 24, 2005
Fedor's aura-building victory over Sylvia gives cred to WAMMA crown

By josh gross

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- As introductions go, Fedor Emelianenko's encounter with Tim Sylvia was terse.

Thirty-six seconds after meeting Sylvia, Emelianenko, the 31-year-old Russian widely regarded as mixed martial arts' best heavyweight, pummeled the 6-foot-8 two-time UFC champion into submission.

Visually, it was Sylvia who struck an imposing figure. Yet Emelianenko has never ceded ground to giants, and giving up eight inches and 33 pounds Saturday night hardly proved to be a disadvantage.

Meeting for the inaugural World Alliance of Mixed Martial Arts heavyweight title belt, a championship billed as the sport's first unified non-organizational title, Emelianenko wasted little time in attacking.

"You never know how short or long it is going to be," Emelianenko said moments after finishing Sylvia via rear-naked choke. "But I just wanted to end it as quickly as possible. I just wanted to show the fans my skills."

If it's possible to showcase the breadth of skills needed to be a great mixed martial artist in under a minute, Emelianenko did just that. Having sat atop the heavyweight division of MMA media rankings since capturing the Pride Fighting Championships' belt in 2003 versus Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, much of Emelianenko's greatness resided in seamlessly weaving techniques together.

Flowing from punches on the feet to position on the floor, Emelianenko took hold of Sylvia from behind and unloaded powerful shots that helped him transition to back-control. The Russian moved beautifully and rolled Sylvia to a position where the only recourse was defending his neck.

It didn't help.

"I was hoping I would end the fight then," said the new champion. "I was prepared to fight standing up, but I knew I had a better chance to end it on the ground."

Emelianenko, now 28-1, locked on the submission and Sylvia was compelled to tap.

"I had so many things going through my mind," said the 32-year-old Sylvia, whose record fell to 26-6. "He got off, landed the big punch, jumped on me and got the submission.

"By far, he's the No. 1 fighter in the world."

Showered as much by the adulation of 13,988 fans packed into the Honda Center as he was by red-and-black confetti that poured into the lower bowl after the WAMMA belt was strapped to his waist, the night could not have gone better for Emelianenko or the team that promoted him: Affliction Entertainment and M-1.

While Sylvia presented more than a worthy test, the bout MMA fans have clamored to see would match the Russian against Randy Couture -- the UFC champion until resigning from his post in October 2007 so he could attempt to fight Emelianenko after he turned down an offer to compete under the UFC banner.

In the ring, each man expressed their desire to fight one another. Legal decisions will determine whether that bout will happen, but just seeing the two heavyweight icons in the ring together was enough for fans in the arena to cheer wildly.

"I just wanted to end it as quickly as possible," Emelianenko added. "I just wanted to show the fans my skills."

In many ways, Saturday night marked Emelianenko's introduction to American fight fans. With potential bouts against real contenders on the horizon, Emelianenko should no longer need to concern himself with criticism about fighting chumps.

Rather, combining the emergence of MMA in the consciousness of American sports fans with the Russian's talent and unmatched ledger, the smiling, quiet man from tiny Stary Oskol, Russia, could be this sport's brightest light.

The buzzing crowd also witnessed several compelling undercard bouts, including knockout victories by former UFC champions Andrei Arlovski and Josh Barnett.

Arlovski and Ben Rothwell brought out the best in one another with a rousing heavyweight war the likes of which is rare in the division. Former UFC champion versus former IFL champ, Arlovski and Rothwell opened with a quality frame.

The early advantage belonged to the Belarusian. Keeping Rothwell off balance with low kicks and the occasional right hand, Arlovski pushed forward and showed more aggression than he had in recent UFC-promoted bouts.

Round two was the bout's best.

Rothwell, who came into the fight with almost 25 pounds on his speedy opponent, pushed forward. Arlovski held up well, though the fight wasn't perfect for Arlovski.

Making a poor attempt at a leglock while he sat in Rothwell's guard, "The Pitbull" surrendered position, allowing the big Wisconsin heavyweight to ground-and-pounded his way through much of the round. With 30 seconds remaining, however, referee Josh Rosenthal chose, perhaps unnecessarily, to stand the fighters.

Arlovski (13-5) took advantage by clubbing Rothwell (29-6) around the ring. The crescendo came with a jumping knee that jolted Rothwell's head into the air.

Still hurt after the onslaught to close Round 2, Rothwell was finished at 1:13 of the third when Arlovski fired a beautiful same-handed straight-uppercut combination with his right.

In February 2001 Pedro Rizzo landed a right hand on Josh Barnett that secured its perpetual place among UFC highlight reels knockouts. Barnett exacted a perfect measure of revenge, this time by way of the left hook, in knocking Rizzo cold at 1:44 of the second round.

As with their initial contest at UFC 30, the first card promoted by Zuffa, Barnett chose to trade with Rizzo, a powerful kickboxer who approached the top of the heavyweight division earlier in his career. In recent years, Rizzo (16-8) slipped while Barnett, who defeated Randy Couture in 2003 to become the UFC's youngest champion, fought against some of the best in Japan.

The disparity was as obvious as a left hook to the jaw.

Barnett (23-5) danced in the opening round, choosing push kicks to Rizzo's midsection as an early to set up for punches. In the second period that paid off when a short right hand to the top of the head hurt Rizzo. Barnett pounced, delivering a fight-ending left hook to Rizzo's jaw that made him go limp even before he hit the canvas.

After a slow opening round, featherweights Mark Hominick and Savant Young showed why the division currently dominated by Urijah Faber has struck a cord with fight fans.

Hitting the canvas for the first time, the 145-pounders looked to finish from several places. Though Young slammed his way out of one armbar, Hominick kept up the attack by nearly sweeping his way to the top. Young countered, but so did Hominick.

Calmly, the Canadian calmly maintained position and alternated between triangle chokes and armbars. At 4:52 of the second, Hominick (16-8) stuck an armbar that forced Young (9-8) to tap.

Light heavyweights Mike Whitehead and Renato Sobral gave a good effort over three competitive rounds. In the end, it was the Brazilian, enjoying significant support of the sell-out crowd, who set the pace.

Whitehead (20-6), a large light heavyweight who's fought as large as 260 pounds, had his moments, but for the majority of the fight he simply reacted to the Brazilian's attacks. Judges at ringside scored it 30-27 across the board for Sobral, who raised his record to 30-7.

It's not fun fighting Matt Lindland -- Brazilian Fabio Negao was the latest middleweight to learn that truth.

Over three tough rounds, Negao endured Lindland's awkward strikes and relentless ground-and-pound. The American, who is running as a republican candidate for an Oregon house seat this November, nearly made his evening a short one as he put down Negao with a punch in the opening minute.

Negao (8-4) showed himself to be a worthwhile adversary and survived several attempts at a guillotine choke, both from bottom and top positions.

In round 2, the middleweights made the crowd rise during an exchange of punches, elbows and knees. Negao, however, couldn't muster enough power behind his shots to hurt Lindland (21-5), prompting the mauling wrestler to move forward no matter what his opponent did.

On the floor, Lindland dominated with a relentless string of short punches and elbows. Judges at ringside each scored the bout for Lindland -- 30-26 and 30-27 twice

Jul 24, 2005
Affliction could become MMA heavyweight

By Dave Meltzer, Yahoo! Sports

ANAHEIM, Calif. – The landscape of the mixed martial arts business may have changed Saturday night as the debuting Affliction promotion came out of its debut show with the potential for several of the biggest heavyweight marquee matches in the sport.

The myth of the quiet but unbeatable Russian, Fedor Emelianenko, turned into an undisputed reality as he destroyed former two-time UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia in a scant 36 seconds in the main event at the Honda Center. Emelianenko, 28-1, who was the PRIDE heavyweight champion from 2003 until the company closed in 2007, became the first World Alliance of Mixed Martial arts heavyweight champion with the win.

It was billed as for the first undisputed world heavyweight title, although clearly “undisputed” is the wrong word to describe the first title created by an outside sanctioning body as opposed to a champion declared by a promotional company.

ADVERTISEMENT

The industry already has two UFC heavyweight champions, in Randy Couture, the last champion who never lost, and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, who the company is recognizing as interim champion due to Couture’s resignation from the organization. There will be an Elite XC champion after a match with Antonio Silva vs. Justin Eilers on Saturday night in Stockton, Calif. Strikeforce also has a heavyweight champion in Alistair Overeem and IFL has one in Roy Nelson.

Emelianenko, showing amazing reflexes for a heavyweight, came out throwing punches before Sylvia even realized what hit him. The 6-foot-8 fighter, who weighed 263 at weigh-ins but was probably closer to 280 come fight time, went down from the initial barrage. Emelianenko, 6 feet and 230 pounds, choked him out on the ground before the sellout crowd of 13,988.

“I was very pleased with my performance,” said Emelianenko after the match. “Everything I wanted to do, I was able to do.”

“I was prepared to stand up, but I knew I had a better chance to end it on the ground.”

“I know I’m one of the best heavyweights in the world, and I was amazed at him,” said Sylvia. “I really don’t think that he’s human.”

Emelianenko laughed about the comment.

“I’m human,” he said, noting his thumb came out of its socket during the flurry. “I thought I was the guy to beat him,” said Sylvia. “But I’ve never been hit so hard. I think it was a choke across the windpipe because that hurts. But my pride’s hurt, that’s about it.”

The bigger picture after a night in which UFC and Affliction went head-to-head, is not who had the better show, or were seen by the most fans (UFC on Spike TV undoubtedly drew the larger audience), but what it builds for the future.

The Affliction show, with a packed house, had a major-event atmosphere that was a stark difference from most of the promotional opponents UFC has faced off against over the past few years.

Several fighters, most notably former UFC heavyweight champions Andrei Arlovski and Josh Barnett, came across as potential superstars. The key is how well this first show did on pay-per-view, and if expected major losses in putting together such a loaded debut card affect the company going forward. Promoter Tom Atencio talked about a second show in November, and indicated he would like to match Emelianenko vs. Couture, but negotiating the match is out of his hands right now.

Such a match would only be possible if Couture was able to get out of his UFC contract, which from a time frame expires in October, but UFC is claiming Couture owes them two more fights on the four-fight deal signed in early 2007. Ultimately, the courts will decide if and when this match can take place.

Emelianenko vs. Couture, if promoted by UFC, would undoubtedly be the biggest money MMA match in history. However, there is virtually no chance that will happen in that organization. But whatever potential that fight had Friday was magnified by Emelianenko’s performance Saturday.

“Every fighter has his strengths and weaknesses,” said Emelianenko. “Randy has many strenghts, but I can see weaknesses. It’s a matter of taking advantage of the weaknesses. A match between us would depend on who took advantage of the others’ weaknesses.”

The night couldn’t have finished better for the new group after a rocky start to a card that featured just two fights in the first two hours. Not only did Emelianenko answer all critics who questioned whether he had lost a step in the three years since he had faced a legitimate top-ranked opponent, but two potential opponents past Couture were also established.

Arlovski, who left the UFC upon taking a bigger money offer from Affliction, had his best all-around performance in years to establish another potentially lucrative match.

Arlovski, a Belarussan who has been living in Chicago for years, knocked out a game Ben Rothwell in impressive fashion at 1:13 of the third round in the match that stole the show.

Josh Barnett of Seattle avenged a 2001 loss to Pedro Rizzo by scoring a knockout at 0:44 of the second round. Barnett spent the past five years mostly fighting in Japan after being stripped of the title due to a steroid test.

“It was redemption for seven years ago, but seven years is a long time,” said Barnett. “I’m really upset that it was Pedro. He’s a really special person. I’d have rather knocked out somebody else.”

Barnett knows Emelianenko well as they spent years together working on the same shows in Japan.

“He’s a good friend and has an incredible character,” said Barnett. “We have the traits that we can have a great fight

Jul 24, 2005
Sketchy ending kinda ruins DREAM grand prix

Well, we’ve always said that DREAM is basically Zombie PRIDE, and the ending of their Lightweight Grand Prix lived up to PRIDE’s sketchy standards. Shinya Aoki and Eddie Alvarez advanced to the finals early on in the night, but about an hour and a half later into the show it was announced that Alvarez would not be able to continue. The doctors had decided that a cut under his eye was too serious for him to continue.

It would be really nice to believe that the decision to pull Alvarez was made from a completely medical point of view. And when they brought Alvarez out to announce the decision, his eye did look pretty swollen and terrible. But he was still able to see out of it, and the cut was below his eye. His opponent isn’t exactly known for his striking skills, so the chances of more damage were low. So was DREAM justified in pulling Alvarez out of the tournament? Or were they trying to make it easier for Shinya Aoki to win in the finals?

If that was their plan, it didn’t work out the way they’d hoped for. Joachim Hansen, who lost to Eddie Alvarez in the last round of the tournament but won a reserve match earlier that night, came out and landed a solid shot right to Aoki’s face that caused him to roll over and give up. So once again we have a guy who already lost the tournament … winning the tournament. A similar situation occurred during PRIDE’s last Bushido tournament, where Kazuo Misaki lost in the semi-finals but was allowed to advance to the finals anyways and ended up winning the whole thing. Personally, that just leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth.

Jul 24, 2005
White stands by his man Silva

VEGAS – UFC president Dana White has been relentless in his criticism of ex-PRIDE heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko over the past several years.

White has criticized and mocked the popular Russian for failing to face top competition and taking on inexperienced and even smaller fighters over the past three years.

But upon learning that Emelianenko had submitted ex-UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia on Saturday in Anaheim, Calif., in less than a minute, White unflinchingly admitted he was impressed.

“It does (change my opinion),” he conceded. “Tim Sylvia was a real opponent.”

But it didn’t change his opinion enough to make him reconsider his opinion that Anderson Silva is the world’s best fighter.

“Not at all,” White said, beaming. “Do you even need to ask me after that?”

In a career filled with highlight reel knockouts, Silva put together one of his best in his debut at light heavyweight Saturday at the Pearl at the Palms. He caught a kick from James Irvin, connected with a straight right hand that all but knocked Irvin cold and then finished the ex-college football player with a brutal ground-and-pound.

“Like a chess game, he happened to move the wrong piece and I countered,” Silva said.

It only took him 61 seconds to win a fight that he accepted on short notice despite the risk of moving to light heavyweight for the first time. Irvin is a powerful puncher who’s had his own spectacular knockouts, having set a UFC record in April when he knocked Houston Alexander out in eight seconds.

None of it mattered much to Silva, though, who looked as comfortable as a 205-pounder as he did in tearing apart quality fighters like Rich Franklin and Dan Henderson at 185 pounds.

Silva’s power against a man that much bigger was stunning, but Brandon Vera, who dropped to light heavyweight and won a lackluster decision over Reese Andy on the undercard earlier Saturday, said it isn’t so much Silva’s power that makes him special as it is the placement of his punches.

“With Anderson, I don’t think it’s really his power, it’s his precision” Vera said. “You could give him a target a mile down the road and have him shoot at it and he would hit it dead center every time. I think it’s his precision and speed, it’s not his power. He’s not relying on power. It’s technique, man. He makes it look like ballet.”

It wasn’t the kind of ballet that Mikhail Baryshnikov would have done well in, though. It’s a sudden, hard, concussive ballet.

Irvin, who once was a defensive back at Azusa Pacific, went down from the right hand as if he were blocked by a 320-pound All-Pro tackle leading a sweep.

Silva pounced on him and pounded away, but it was all but unnecessary, as Irvin was motionless from the right.

As good as he looked against Irvin – not one of the division’s elite, but a solid middle-of-the-road light heavyweight – Silva said it would not change his mind about returning to middleweight.

He’s likely to fight at UFC 88 in Atlanta on Sept. 6 against Patrick Cote. Yushin Okami, who was to have gotten the title fight, broke his hand and won’t be able to make it.

Silva left little doubt that he could be as successful at light heavyweight as he has been at middleweight. But he told White he wants to “completely clean out” the division and will, for the time being, only look at light heavyweight bouts if there is a special event which can be made.

Franklin, the ex-middleweight champion who twice was destroyed by Silva, is moving up to light heavyweight to face Matt Hamill and had to be thrilled to hear Silva is going to remain at middleweight, far, far away from him.

“I say this all the time, but we have a great 185-pound division,” White said. “The problem is, the champion is so damn good that he makes it look like it’s not. The guy is an amazing athlete and an incredible fighter. I expected an amazing fight tonight with Irvin.

“I thought there was going to be some back-and-forth. I thought there were going to bang and, wow.”

Emelianenko hadn’t faced a ranked heavyweight since he beat Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic on Aug. 28, 2005. Since then, he’s faced a middleweight, a man in his second pro mixed martial arts bout and a series of other less than overwhelming opponents.

His performance against Sylvia erased any of those doubts, led most vocally by White, about his ability and may gain him much ground in the pound-for-pound rankings.

Silva, though, said he’s convinced the best fighters compete in the UFC, despite what Emelianenko was able to do to a two-time UFC heavyweight king.

“Once again, I think the UFC proved that it has the best fighters in the world,” Silva said. “If there were any event out there that would have the (courage) to put a team to fight against a UFC team, there is no doubt in my mind that it would be a slaughter.”

White loved everything he saw, and most of what he heard, from Silva on Saturday. But White is notorious for not co-promoting his bouts and he wasn’t about to bend on that even if his best fighter is urging him to do it.

“One more question,” White said, laughing, when asked if he’d put together a show such as Silva described.

There will be much debate how a show like that would come out. But there’s little doubt who would come out on top at middleweight.

“Man, Anderson Silva,” Vera said, shaking his head. “Dana mentioned Anderson is one of the best pound-for-pound fighters in the world, arguably. He showed it tonight. He jumped up to 205 and gave it to James like it was nobody’s business. James is a friend of mine and he went in there like a soldier, but Anderson Silva. Pretty much, all you need to say is his name. It’s almost a household word (in this sport), like Michael Jordan (in basketball). Wow

Jul 24, 2005
UFC back on WOWOW — not much of a wow factor

By Zach Arnold

month after Zuffa LLC purchased the assets of PRIDE and held a press conference in Roppongi Hills, Tokyo, to announce their business deal, the company lost their long-time television deal in Japan with the WOWOW network.

WOWOW had been a partner for UFC programming in Japan since April of 2002, and the network told its viewers that the last telecast would feature Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Mirko Cro Cop from England. The much anticipated Quinton “Rampage” Jackson vs. Chuck Liddell fight would not air on the pay channel, due to what network representatives said was UFC’s request for higher rights fees to air programming. UFC programming on WOWOW was limited to the major PPVs and not any of the Spike TV shows.

The lasting image that hardcore UFC fans in Japan have of the company involve PRIDE icon Mirko Cro Cop getting his head kicked in by Gonzaga. It was a symbolic and ironic ending of the UFC/WOWOW relationship that a PRIDE icon got blasted by a relatively unknown fighter.

Now comes word that UFC has reached an agreement with WOWOW to start broadcasting PPVs again on the pay channel. To put WOWOW into perspective, it’s long-been Japan’s answer to HBO except nowhere near the subscriber base. WOWOW has a long history of airing fight-related programming. The network first got in bed with SWS, which was a big-money pro-wrestling gamble led by Gen’ichiro Tenryu (who left All Japan to go to the new promotion). SWS and then-WWF worked together on shows and WOWOW aired those events. The TV coverage simply didn’t translate into good business for SWS and the promotion closed its doors within a couple of years.

However, the crown jewel of all combat-related programming on WOWOW was RINGS, the promotion owned by Akira Maeda. RINGS started in 1991 and had a decade-long relationship with WOWOW. When Akira Maeda held his retirement show at Yokohama Arena a decade ago (his fight was against Aleksandr Karelin), he stayed with WOWOW and let the network air the show. There had been several rumors that big free-to-air broadcast networks in Japan were interested in airing the show, but Maeda reportedly turned those offers down due to his loyalty with WOWOW. After Maeda’s retirement from RINGS, RINGS went into more of a shoot-mode with their King of Kings tournament. However, there wasn’t enough support for RINGS from WOWOW and the promotion would soon collapse.

Given all of this back history, what does UFC’s new deal with WOWOW mean for business in the Japanese marketplace? Not a lot.

While it’s not a 100% accurate analogy, the best comparison to describe UFC being on WOWOW is K-1 having DREAM shows air on HDNet Fights. If anything, the only real benefit UFC is getting by airing on WOWOW involves rights fees. Nothing more, nothing less, would be our best guess.

In an interesting way, UFC re-upping with WOWOW is (in our view) the equivalent of throwing in a white towel on the Japanese MMA marketplace. Remember, Zuffa LLC got burned over the PRIDE deal and they never even managed to run a single show there. With all of the aggressive talk from both Dana White & Lorenzo Fertitta about expanding their business operations, you never hear them address the Japanese marketplace these days, do you? Wonder why?

Let’s say that for argument’s sake that UFC did, in fact, want to run in Japan within the next five years. What kind of promotional options would they have on the table if they wanted to run a show in Japan?

a) Cut a deal with K-1 to do a 50/50 revenue split involving a co-promotional UFC/DREAM event

This is likely the most solid option for doing business. K-1 would be able to get UFC fighters over with the mainstream Japanese audience by using their free-to-air TV deals to put over the foreign stars. K-1 handling the promoting-end of the house show would alleviate a lot of pressure on UFC’s end to have to deal with questionable or shady characters trying to screw them over.

The flip-side to this option is that many ex-DSE employees work under the DREAM banner… the same ex-DSE employees that Zuffa LLC failed to keep around when they tried to run shows under the ‘shinsei’ (newborn) PRIDE banner.

b) Cut a deal with Total Sports Asia to do a sold-show (w/ or w/o % split) in Japan

This is the option that WWE chose to use for several years this decade in Japan. When Smackdown aired on Fuji TV (free-to-air television), WWE had a platform to basically run cookie-cutter sold shows in the Japanese marketplace. By allowing TSA to handle the promoting end of the deal, it was a simple business transaction. Very much cut-and-dry.

The problem with this kind of deal is that UFC likes to have total control over their promotional operations. Sure, if the numbers made sense and added up for a small-scale event (like a Spike TV special), UFC would be foolish not to work with TSA. However, UFC has no free-to-air TV deal in Japan and there may not be enough money on the table for TSA to spend energy promoting a UFC event in Japan

Jul 24, 2005
Jesse Taylor says Rampage Is getting what he deserves

By Steve Cofield

You've been labeled an alcoholic and lunatic, you'd think keeping a low-profile would be the way to go. This is why MMA is the best sport to cover. The guys have no filter. Jesse Taylor, who is due to make his comeback tomorrow during Ultimate Fight Night 14, was asked about Quinton Jackson's arrest earlier this week.
"What goes around, comes around, I guess," said Taylor when Jackson's name was brought up. "I didn't even know until I watched the show, but he said 'He doesn't deserve to to represent the company,' and look what happened to him."
Taylor is referencing the moment during the show when he was tossed off the The Ultimate Fighter 7 Finale after an out of control night of party. When Jackson saw Taylor's drunken rampage video, he did say that UFC didn't want someone like that representing the company.

Taylor sounded a little insensitive when he spoke with the media during Thursday's UFN 14 workout day especially considering Jackson was hospitalized yesterday for mental evaluation. It's not clear that Taylor was actually aware of the latest news. AP didn't pick up the story until around 3p PT and the media session took place around 1:30p PT.

Even though Jackson's situation is still playing out and nobody knows what punishment, if any, the former light heavyweight champion may face, Taylor took it upon himself to rip the UFC's discipline policies.
"Oh yeah, it's a big double standard. I'm sure if I was the ex-middleweight champion, I could get away with stuff. I'm sure if I would have done (what Jackson did), I'd be banned."
Is Taylor in a position to judge anyone? Do we even know that he's been a model citizen away from UFC the last four months? And who knows how he'll handle potential stardom in the future

Feb 7, 2006
Leonard Garcia agrees to Sept. 10 bout with Jens Pulver

After a recent title loss to WEC featherweight champion Urijah Faber, Jens Pulver (22-9-1) will look to reclaim top-contender status when he meets Leonard Garcia (11-3) Sept. 10 at WEC 36.

Garcia today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that he's agreed to the bout, which could be finalized as early as this week.

The fight is slated for the televised main card of WEC's championship double-header, which takes place at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Hollywood, Fla.

The event, which features a title fight between Faber and Mike Brown, as well as a WEC middleweight title fight between champ Paulo Filho and Chael Sonnen, airs live on VERSUS.

Pulver, a former UFC champion who made his WEC debut in late 2007, suffered a unanimous-decision loss to Faber in June. The event, which drew record ratings, was arguably the biggest and most successful show in WEC history. Although Pulver remains one of the WEC's biggest names, he's lost three of his past four fights, which included recent UFC losses to B.J. Penn and Joe Lauzon.

During a recent interview with MMAjunkie.com, Pulver said he underwent minor elbow surgery after the event. He predicted an October return and said he wanted to fight former Shooto star Alexandre Franca Nogueira. Nogueira, though, recently tested positive for steroids following a recent loss to Jose Aldo and faces up to a year's suspension.

Instead, he'll get Garcia, who will fight for the first time since a February TKO victory over Hiroyuki Takaya. Soon after the win, though, the former UFC fighter was arrested for alleged involvement in a Texas-based drug ring. Garcia, who continually maintained that he was simply the victim of guilt by association, was recently cleared of all pending federal charges.

In a recent interview with MMAjunkie.com, he said he hung around with the wrong person three years ago and suffered the consequences. However, he's vowed to choose his friends much more carefully.

"You can't change things in your past," said Garcia. "But looking back, I knew what [that friend] was doing, and I shouldn't have been around him. But you get the dog, you get the fleas. ... Had I known I could be in this much trouble for hanging around with him, I would have never done it. Now if I see him, I'll definitely turn the other way."

Feb 7, 2006
Report: Jesse Taylor perhaps out of the UFC … again

Jesse Taylor — the first-ever finalist from The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) to be kicked out of the house before the Finale — is perhaps in jeopardy of losing his job with the UFC once again, according to Steve Cofield.

“Mr. Sunshine” has the scoop, saying the Taylor has irked management with some disparaging remarks directed toward former light heavyweight champion Rampage Jackson in the wake of his recent troubles.

Taylor had this to say last Thursday on the situation:

“What goes around, comes around, I guess.”

He apparently made that remark after he caught wind that Jackson had told UFC President Dana White that the company doesn’t need a guy like Taylor representing it. That’s because Taylor was booted from the 16-main tournament-style competition after he went on a drunken rampage (no pun intended) in a Fertitta-owned casino after the show wrapped.

Taylor then approached White at the Finale last month and pleaded his case, saying he had cleaned up his act and was ready for a second chance. White was convinced and offered him an opportunity to return against CB Dollaway at UFC Fight Night 14 this past weekend.

He lost via first round submission.

According to the report, Taylor has since backpedaled on his Rampage remarks and “feels bad about what he said.” However, it may be too little too late.

Here’s a snip from Cofield:

“Taylor clearly felt badly about what he said on Thursday especially considering that he’d just found out that Jackson was hospitalized for mental evaluation. From the tone of the UFC official who spoke with Yahoo! Sports at the event, the apology may not matter. The lesson here may be to make sure you choose your targets carefully. Jackson is tight with UFC higher-ups and is the last guy any fighters on the roster should be cracking on right now.”

Feb 7, 2006
Anthony Johnson responds to Kevin Burns eye poke at UFC Fight Night 14

“They didn’t say nothing [about why the fight wasn’t ruled a no contest]. Nobody has given me an excuse. The only thing I’ve heard from fans and even the staff of UFC was that it’s bullshit…. All I know I turned around and I was screaming. Honestly, his finger went in my eye. It hurt like hell. I’ve never had that happen before, not that deep at least.”

Anthony Johnson talks about the technical knockout loss to Kevin Burns at UFC Fight Night 14 last night. “Rumble” received an accidental finger in the eye in the third round, which caused him to crash to the floor in agony. The referee thought he was dropped because of an uppercut (which grazed him) and waived off the fight. It was controversial; however, the officials don’t have the benefit of instant replay. And Johnson’s reaction to the eye poke made it appear that he was hurt with a punch and not a finger. Regardless, both fighters were classy after the bout. Perhaps we will see a rematch down the road sometime soon.

Feb 7, 2006
Couture says courts could decide on his contractual status this week

Current UFC heavyweight champion Randy Couture had indicated that a court is expected to rule on the status of an emergency stay filed by the Ultimate Fighting Championship. He added that if he wins his appeal, the decision on his contractual status will revert to a Texas court and that a declaration of his status would be made soon after.

Couture revealed the news in a new interview with Alex Marvez of FoxSports.com.

Couture’s position in the case is that he became a free agent when the term of his contract expired on July 19. Meanwhile, the UFC contends that the date of the term is irrelevant if he has fights remaining on his current contract. Under the terms of his current deal, Couture still has two fights remaining on his UFC contract.

While Couture and WAMMA heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko indicated that they both would like to fighter each other following Emelianenko’s 36 second submission over Tim Sylvia at Affliction: Banned on Saturday, do not look for the two to fight any time soon. Even if the court rules in Couture’s favor, the losing side of the case is expected to file an appeal. Couture indicated that the next highest court in which the appeal would be heard is the Supreme Court.

Couture is also subject to the terms of a non-compete clause in an employment contract he had with the UFC. Couture must wait a full year from his resignation last Oct. 12 before he can conduct business with other MMA promotions.

Last but not least, there is also the issue of a champions clause in Couture’s UFC contract that could affect his status. As of now, Couture is still legally considered the UFC’s reigning heavyweight champion.

Despite the protracted legal process, Couture is still insistent that the mega-fight between he and Fedor will happen. He’s just not sure where or when.

“When, where and with what promotion — we don’t know,” Couture is quoted as telling Marvez. “It could happen in UFC. We just don’t know. I want it to happen. Fedor wants it to happen. In some way, shape or form, we’re going to make it happen.”

Feb 7, 2006
"Elite XC: Unfinished Business" Betting Odds

Robbie Lawler -220 Scott Smith +180
Jake Shields -400 Nick Thompson +320
Nick Diaz -600 Thomas Denny +450
Shayna Baszler -155 Cristiane Santos +125
Antonio Silva -550 Justin Eilers +400
Wilson Reis -170 Brian Caraway +140
Rafael Cavalcante n/a Travis Galbraith n/a

Feb 7, 2006
Cane and his biggest challenge

He only needed a great knockout over Jason Lambert (UFC 85) to earn a chance against a Top 10 of the category. Getting ready to face Thierry Sokoudjou at UFC 89, Luis “Banha” Cane told TATAME his expectations to the fight. “I believe it’ll be a very tough fight. Undoubtedly he’s the biggest challenge of my career, a Top 10. He hits tough, proved that beating two of the best of the MMA, but I’m confident and know what I can do. I can knock him out, I can submit him”, said Cane, that is already studying Sokoudjou’s style. “I’m training to develop my game and get there with my best, and I’m studying his defects. Nobody is perfect. He’s good, but has his defects and I’m going to work on it”, told the Brazilian fighter, that wants to win to grow on the category: “I wanna win to grow, and beating a Top 10 I’ll certainly go up”.

Cane also bet on Anderson Silva, that faces the man he fought at UFC 79, and was disqualified. “ Anderson is a phenomenon, the best pound-for-pound and will show that today. Irvin has no chances against him, he’s the best. The bad about all this is that he came to out division… Stay down there, Anderson … The light-heavyweight is already tough and you came here? (laughs)”, said Cane, that faces Thierry Sokoudjou at October 18th at Birmingham, .

Feb 7, 2006
Assuério wants to go back to UFC

Pancrase’s former champion and coming from victory at Jungle Fight by Pozil, over the American fighter Terroll Dees, Assuério Silva is now dreaming with a possibility to go back to UFC. Assuério suffered three losses at UFC, to Brandon Vera, Cheick Kongo and the former champion Tim Sylvia, but guarantees that if he has another chance, he’ll show all his potential at the cage.

“We’re working hard. My manager spoke with Joe Silva (UFC matchmaker) and I guarantee that if I have another shot, I’ll do my job with all my heart. I’m here to fight that’s my job and I know that you only survive on it if you’re on the top”, said Assuério, that commented about his fast victory at Jungle Fight, when he submitted Terroll with a leg-lock with only 1min42s on the first round.

“My preparation was intense, like always. I believe that rings are like wars, and I have to be always better than I believe my opponent will be. I didn’t knew this opponent, I was going to face another one, but he got hurt and changed my opponent. I did this great fight and won”, said Assuério, trying to rebuild his way back to Ultimate Fighting Championship.

Feb 7, 2006
Belfort: “The Phenom is back”

Away from fights since 2007, Vitor Belfort faced a tough battle to make weight at middleweight division, months away from the family and living by himself at USA, but all that suffering was forgotten after his fight at Affliction. Facing Terry Martin, the Brazilian started with a good job, studying the opponent, but on the first round he broke his hand after punching Martin’s face. While he was at the hospital, Vitor spoke to TATAME about his fight. “I thought it was a great fight, he was so prepotent. It was a beautiful knockout, he landed well on the ropes”, commented the fighter, that hit his opponent with a flying knee after finishing the job with two tough punches.

“That was our strategy. Another fighter told me that the ring was very sliding, so I used the first round to study his game and came to the second round to knock him out. It was perfect”, analyzed the Phenom, that guarantees his good times are back. “The Phenom is back, like Batman, got out of the cave”, celebrates Belfort, that watched Rogério Nogueira and Renato Sobral victories on the event.

“It was perfect. He (Nogueira) fought really well, it was great. Babalu fought good too, he faced a tough guy and did a great job”, said Vitor, that only regretted Pedro Rizzo’s loss. “The only thing we were said is about Pedro Rizzo’s loss, it was sad. But I’m sure that he’ll come out of the cave too, now he deserves another rematch (against Josh Barnett)”, guarantees, Belfort.