MMA News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 7, 2006
SENGOKU 3: Post fight interview 1

** Fabio Silva **
Takahashi was a tough guy. I was actually surprised to see his strength and good punches. I would like to develop myself in SENGOKU and would like to be a champion in my weight class someday.

** Kazuo Takahashi **
I'm disappointed to be KO'd. I had fun fighting such an aggressive fighter. I couldn't have a good result through my training this time. I hadn't fought in MMA quite a while and I was actually nervous. I was impatient and lost my rhythm. Thought I'm not satisfied with the result, I enjoyed the fight and I wish I was tough enough to fight longer. I feel I fit in SENGOKU and would like to fight in this event again.

** Rodrigo Damm **
I'm very satisfied with my fight. I was ready even if our fight developed in different ways. Today's fight gave me an opportunity to show what I learned through my trainings in Muay Thai, wrestling, boxing and Ju-jitsu. I'm very honored to fight in Japan, especially in Saitama Super Arena tonight. I would like to win this tournament and challenge to Gomi at the end.

** Jorge Masvidal **
I was in a good condition and could make good moves. I think the referee stopped the fight too soon, however, he completely got me. I know it's too late to say this, but I wish I could know my opponent earlier, then I could do better.

** Marcio "Pe De Pano" Cruz **
Before the fight, I said I could adjust myself in any situation. I trained standing positions and ground positions including offenses and defenses from the mount and the bottom. As a result of my preparation, I could KO him after pounding. This is my first fight in SENGOKU and I know it's too soon to request who I want to fight next. I want to continue fighting any top fighters in SENGOKU.

** Mu Bae Choi **
Many great heavy weight fighters are in SENGOKU. I think he proved how good he is as 6 time Ju-jitsu world champion. SENGOKU was a great event both experienced and young top fighters fight and compete each other. I will train hard to get another opportunity to fight in this event.

** Sanae Kikuta **
My opponent obviously studied about me and I wish I watched his fight video. I was going to tackle him in the very beginning. He expected and protected himself from getting my tackles. I usually get my rhythm by throwing my opponent in our first contact. However, he didn't let me do that and I was in his game plan for a while. I was wondering if I could change the mood because the start wasn't ideal. Roger Gracie believes a stronger fighter wins even if he fights 2 times in row or hasn't fought for 10 months, no matter what condition he is in. I haven't fought for a while and I wasn't in the best condition this time. I could win because I was eager to fight and believe Roger's theory. I thing SENGOKU is the great event which both fighters and fans can enjoy.

** Chris Rice **
I knew my opponent 2 days before I departed for Japan. I have researched well about Kikuta before I departed for Japan. He is a legend in Japanese MMA. My game plan was to avoid being taken down and to KO in the standing position because I knew he would excel on the ground.

Jul 24, 2005
UFC MAKES MAJOR DEALS, DEBUNKS RUMORS ON CNBC

Unlike most “power tie” executives of billion-dollar companies that take to the set on CNBC’s “Power Lunch,” Ultimate Fighting Championship president Dana White donned an untucked, striped dress shirt and blue jeans as he, on Tuesday, announced the UFC’s latest business deal and squashed some of the rumors that have recently begun swirling.

“We just closed a deal with JAKKS and these are going to be available next Christmas,” said White as the camera zoomed in on action figures of Chuck Liddell and Brock Lesnar.

The announcement includes a four-year licensing deal with JAKKS Pacific, Inc. to produce collector-focused products, with the action figures planned for launch in Fall 2009. The likenesses to be immortalized, along with the aforementioned Liddell and Lesnar, are UFC interim heavyweight champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, middleweight champion Anderson Silva, Forrest Griffin and Michael Bisping, among others.

“These are collectibles,” added White. “Am I saying kids won’t play with them? No. I’m sure kids will play with them. There’s an Octagon and accessories and all kinds of things kids will play with.”

In a statement released by JAKKS Pacific on Tuesday, the company added that along with the action figures, the Octagon, and other accessories, the four-year Master Toy license also includes “role-play items based on the UFC brand and its classic and current roster of star fighters.”

Shortly after the CNBC segment, the UFC released details of other branding deals on its website. According to UFC.com, UFC-branded Bic lighters are already moving into stores and following April’s ‘soft’ launch of UFC t-shirts at 450 JC Penney stores, the retailer will create “UFC Hot Zones” in August that will sell shirts and headwear in the Young Men’s department. Silver Buffalo, this summer, will introduce UFC-branded watches, barware, bar accessories, lighting, wall décor, and billiards and darts accessories. And on June 15, US Bank launches its UFC VISA card with no annual fee and the option to receive points for UFC merchandise.

“There’s going to be incredible UFC-branded product,” said Randy Klein, the UFC’s Vice President of Licensing and Merchandising. “We’re establishing a benchmark of MMA product that no one has ever seen before. We’re going to be in retailers all over the world with our video game, apparel, and sports collectibles. It’s really an exciting time right now.”

In addition to announcing the licensing deal with JAKKS, White denounced some of the rumors that have been swirling about a big announcement he has planned for as soon as Thursday of this week.

The hottest of the rumors, and those that were posed to the UFC president on CNBC, include speculation that the promotion has signed recently retired boxing superstar Floyd Mayweather, Jr.; that they will enter into a partnership with World Wrestling Entertainment and Vince McMahon; that a new television deal with either FOX, ABC, or ESPN is on the table; or that the company will announce it is going public. All of which White responded to with a definite, and at times chuckling, “No.”

The licensing deal with JAKKS and other companies, however, is not “the” big announcement that all the Internet chatter has been about. And with White shooting down the hottest of the rumors, the speculation surrounding the upcoming announcement, that he says is going to be an indicator of where MMA is headed over the next five years, is sure to heat back up until it is revealed

Feb 7, 2006
SENGOKU 3: Post fight interview 2

** Nick Thompson **
I'm satisfied with 1R. I could take his arm and I worked efficiently on the ground. I noticed he changed his game plan in 2R. I'm satisfied and was lucky for sure. I have never fought such a tremendous fighter like him before. He is bigger than other fighters as well as quick and strong. I had sparred with him before and was beaten thoroughly. I remember that I wished I never spar him again. I work hard to get a title in Sengoku.

** Michael Costa **
Nick was a great fighter. I did my best as a representative of Chute Boxe. I didn't have enough endurance. The reason why I lost my stamina was that I was very aggressive to have an exciting fight. I'm satisfied with the detail of my fight. If I have an opportunity to fight in SENGOKU again, I will have a KO victory.

** Logan Clark **
I'm satisfied overall. I realized what I needed to improve through my fight. I should have been aggressive with paying attention to his kick. I almost got a take-down by throwing my right punch. I didn't have good combination of my move and couldn't finish at that moment. He had hard punches and was a good grasper. I have never taken any punches like I had today in my life. I would like to fight in Japan again.

** Travis Wiuff **
I wasn't expected that ending actually. I was the one who was the most surprised to see the way our fight was over in the arena. Fujita was a very tough wrestler and I had imagined that I would win by decision at the end. I prepared well and had a confidence to win. I was lucky today.

** Hidehiko Yoshida **
I was surprised to see he was a southpaw in the beginning because he was an orthodox in his fight videos. Silva escaped when I tried the same submission, neck crank. I'm glad to submit him that time because I definitely wasted my stamina if I missed that timing and couldn't submit in a right spot. My new gi fit well. I was in a good condition and had a confidence to win. This is my first victory in last 2 years. I'm relieved. To be honest, I was going to end my MMA career if I lost today. I didn't see any point keep fighting if I couldn't win no matter how hard I trained. I wanted fans enjoy more by showing more active and aggressive fight. Although, I wanted to win very badly today and didn't want to miss any chance.

** Maurice Smith **
This fight result was similar to my fight with Mark Coleman. I felt like being pushed my body more than chocked my neck. I'm very disappointed to this result. It's hard to fight a fighter who wears gi. Gi prevented me from moving smoothly. I don't' think my age affected to my loss tonight. I'm 47 years old and don't feel any crucial damage to my body by fighting in MMA. I think I had a same result even if we fought 10 years ago. The reason why I lost tonight is that he had great techniques.

Jul 24, 2005
Monson Withdraws from Adrenaline MMA Debut

Brian Knapp
MMA Editor

A broken foot has forced former UFC heavyweight title challenger Jeff Monson to withdraw from his scheduled bout against Mike Russow at the Adrenaline MMA premiere on Saturday at the Sears Centre in Chicago. USA Today confirmed the news with Adrenaline MMA CEO Monte Cox.

Monson (24-8) suffered the injury in his unanimous decision loss to Josh Barnett at World Victory Road: Sengoku II in May.

Jason Guida (17-15) has been booked as Monson's replacement. The brother of former Strikeforce lightweight champion and current UFC mainstay Clay Guida, the Mokena, Ill., native will enter the bout on a two-fight winning streak. Guida has not competed in more than a year, as he has been away from competition since his submission victory against Cristiano Machado in March 2007. Ten of his 17 career wins have come by submission, and he counts victories over UFC veterans Marvin Eastman and Ron Faircloth among his conquests.

A Pride Fighting Championships veteran, Russow (9-1) has won five consecutive fights since his submission loss to Sergei Kharitonov in February 2007. The 31-year-old Chicagoan last appeared in December, when he submitted Roman Zentsov in Japan. Russow has secured six of his nine wins by submission.

----------------------

Adrenaline MMA / Saturday, June 14 / Sears Centre / Chicago

Jason Guida vs. Mike Russow

Terry Martin vs. Daiju Takase

Clay French vs. Jameel Massouh

Forrest Petz vs. Brian Gassaway

Bart Palaszewski vs. Jeff Cox

Rory Markham vs. Tiawon Howard

Mark Miller vs. Anthony Lapsley

Herc Hayes vs. Kerry Schall

Rob Kimmons vs. Hector Urbina

Aaron Rosa vs. Ron Fields

Louis Taylor vs. Adam Maciejewski

Dom O'Grady vs. Mike Stumpf

Joe Jordan vs. Ryan Williams

Joe Pearson vs. John Hosm

Feb 7, 2006
EliteXC/Showtime Media Conference Call Notes

MMANews.com’s Chris Howie was on todays call with KJ Noons, Yves Edwards, Mushin Corbbrey and EXC’s Jeremy Lappin. Cesar Gracie joined near the end of the call because Nick Diaz (who was scheduled to be on) was unable to be there. Gary Shaw was also scheduled to be on the call but was not there. The following notes were taken during the call:

EXC Quick Notes:

-EXC will be introducing a light heavyweight title either before the end of this year or early 2009.

-With Eddie Alvarez success in the DREAM tournament, EXC looks forward to have him and he could possibly fight for the EXC lightweight title.

-EXC are having talks with Tito Ortiz but says that there are a lot of companies are actively pursuing him.

-Lappin says that EXC and CBS were elated about May 31st CBS show. Says that a lot of the negativity came from the more hardcore audience.

-Lappin says that Kimbo get a lot of criticism because he gets so much exposure. Says that they can’t control how some of the fights ended up but they stood by this card and were 100% behind it.

KJ Noons:

- Thanks everyone for helping him get ready for the fight, thanks Showtime, EXC, and Yves Edwards for coming out and being his opponent. Says this is a dream for him to be fighting in the main event in his hometown.

-KJ and Yves worked out a bit years back. He thinks that their styles will make this a unique fight. Says that this will be an exciting fight like his past fights.

-Says there were contract issues leading up to the CBS card that got in the way of him fighting on the card. As far as this being a 7 month lay off he has technically been ready since the fight was first scheduled to take place on April 26th.

-Even though their were contract complications there are no hard feelings being Noons and EXC. Says that if there were any problems he probably wouldn’t be fighting on a Showtime main event.

-Jeremy Lappin cuts in and says that the reason Noons wasn’t on the CBS card was because they wanted him to fight in Hawaii.

-KJ is asked about Yves strengths and says that he believes he has to be ready to go anywhere with Yves because he is so good in every aspect of the sport.

-KJ says that if he doesn’t fight on CBS it doesn’t bother him because he is happy fighting anywhere.

-Says that it is important that fighters show respect for each other. This is becoming a professional sport and it’s time for people to look at it professionally.

-Says that getting a chance to fight in Hawaii on Showtime is really important to him. Says his father used to fight in Hawaii in the 70’s and it will be very special for him to fight in front of family and friends at home.

-Feels he has come a long way on every aspect of the game.

-Noons mention that after this fight with Yves he wants to pursue his boxing career.

-Says that if possible he’d like to have the fight with Charles “Krazy Horse” Bennett next if EXC is willing to do it.

-On the topic of the May 31st show, Noons says that any of the hardcore fans that wanted to complain need to train for a while then get in the cage.

-Yves Edwards:

- Yves thanks everyone from American Top Team and EliteXC. Thinks that his will be an exciting fight and that even though KJ is the underdog he belives he can’t overlooked KJ.

-Says that even though they worked out back in the day, he doesn’t think either of them can go back and think either of them will be the same fighters.

- Looks forward to fighting in Hawaii. Has fought there in the past and is excited to do it again.

- Edwards talks about the importance of organizations all over the world because that means a fighter can go to and get world class experience. .

-Edwards was asked about taking fights on short notice but says that it doesn’t bother him because he prefers to always be fighting and training at ATT means that someone is always fighting within weeks of each other so they are always staying prepared.

-Yves talks about how important it is to have that team he has at ATT. In comparison to the team he had in Houston, ATT has been much much better for him.

-Fighting at 160lbs is a little more comfortable because he doesn’t have to worry about losing the extra 5lbs.

-Edwards says that it would be cool to fight on CBS because of the exposure, but right now he is focused on taking the gold from KJ

-Says this is an the most important fight of his career.

-Wants to leave the sport with a legacy behind him. Wants to be remembered as a pioneer of this sport. The only way he can do that is by fighting the best guys in the world.

-Even though KJ’s stand up is good he feels his stand up is good to. If he has to take it to the ground he feels his ground work is better but he feels he can compete with Noons standing.

-Feels MMA experience could have an advantage in the fight but KJ has had a lot of fights to.

-Yves says he likes to watch tape to prepare for a fight. Has watched a lot of tape on KJ.

-If the fight goes the distance the fight will favour the fans because both guys have good cardio and can bring it.

-Says that he has fought in the past and gotten love from the fans in Hawaii but he has never fought a local boy before. Doesn’t think it will effect him if the fans don’t support him because he is fighting KJ, not the fans.

-Says that for the first time in his career he doesn’t feel any pressure going into this fight because he has so much support behind him.

Mushin Corbbrey

-Excited to be in this fight with Nick Diaz

-Biggest thing he has learned since his last loss is that you can’t take anything for granted. Says that he cut down to 145lbs and shouldn’t have because he is too big for that weight class.

-Says that some things from boxing work in MMA but everything doesn’t transition over.

-Says that he did see Nicks last fight in DREAM and thinks that they match up well.

-Says his boxing experience will come into play against Diaz but that he is dangerous everywhere so he has to be ready.

-Getting a shot at Diaz means a lot to him and the outcome will depend on who wants it more. Thinks he will have to get down a gritty with Nick. Has a lot of respect for him.

Cesar Gracie

-Says that Nick is focused on winning this fight and is not looking past it.

-Nick had surgery on his face so that he would cut less in fights. Gracie feels that now that Nick is not as susceptible to cuts he will be hard to stop.

Feb 7, 2006
Kang Booked for Dream 5

Denis Kang confirmed over the weekend that he will compete at Dream 5 on Monday, July 21 at the Osaka Castle Hall in Osaka, Japan. No opponent has been announced, though the only other middleweight confirmed for the show, Yoshihiro Akiyama, handed Kang the first knockout loss of his career in October.

The bout will complete Kang's current contract with the Dream promotion, which was transferred from K-1 Hero's in 2007.

Kang (29-10-1) returned home Saturday from Costa Rica, where the 32-year-old was a guest on "El Gran Peleado" ("The Great Fighter"), a new Central American MMA reality show similar to "The Ultimate Fighter" series. The Canadian-raised French Korean middleweight will be home just long enough to catch up on rest and laundry before he hops a plane to Montreal. There, Kang will jump into a month-long training camp with UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre, Nate Marquardt, Patrick Cote and Rashad Evans, among others.

Kang looks forward to returning to the ring and redeeming himself after his latest loss - a first-round submission defeat to Armenian Gegard Mousasi at Dream 2 in April. He blames the setback on a number of factors.

"It was a bunch of different things," Kang said. "I found my focus again. I kind of lost it for a little while. I'm training hard. I just can't wait to fight again and to get to Montreal and really train hard with those guys."

One factor Kang pointed to was his continued separation from his American Top Team training facility in Coconut Creek, Fla. Visa issues stemming from a misdemeanor criminal charge have made it impossible for Kang to re-enter the United States, despite the fact he has lived there since 2005. A victim of increased security measures implemented after the 9/11 attacks, Kang remains hopeful his lawyer will have the issues sorted out by year's end.

His inability to gain entry to the U.S. has also limited his options on signing with American promotions. Kang has been in contract talks with several promotions in the past year, but negotiations will remain at a standstill until he can iron out his visa problems.

"I've talked to organizations, like Affliction and the UFC, in the past few months, but this visa thing is what's holding things up," Kang said. "It's tough. If can't fight in the U.S., how am I going to fight for them?"

Kang turned down an opportunity to appear on "The Ultimate Fighter" in order to compete in the Spirit Martial Challenge Heavyweight Grand Prix, but said his interest in one day fighting for the Las Vegas-based promotion has not waned. Kang won the Spirit MC grand prix in 2007 but may have fought his last fight for the South Korean promotion; his contract expires on Monday, June 30.

"I don't know if I'll do another [Spirit MC] grand prix," Kang said. "My contract's almost over with them. We're talking to them, but we'll see."

A couple of options exist for Kang here in Canada, including the Calgary, Alberta-based joint venture between Raw Combat and Legacy Fighting Championships, plus the Championship Fighting Group LLC. Both promoters seem intent on inking top-tier competitors.

Feb 7, 2006
IFL Cancels Aug. 15 Event

Struggling with financial concerns, the International Fight League announced Tuesday that it had canceled an Aug. 15 event at the Izod Center in East Rutherford, N.J.

IFL CEO Jay Larkin is holding a news conference this afternoon to discuss the organization's business plan and future.

An IFL news release explained the situation: "The IFL continues to explore options for maximizing shareholder value. However, if the IFL is unable to successfully leverage any of those options, the company may seek protection from its creditors through a court proceeding."

The IFL's concept of team-based MMA failed to catch on with the bulk of fans. Recently, the company began to downsize its staff and reduce costs. Several IFL fighters will participate on the Adrenaline card Saturday in Chicago.

Jul 24, 2005
Muhsin Corbbrey Expects "Good Technique" and "Amazing Fight" against Nick Diaz

Muhsin Corbbrey fielded a number of questions on a conference call Monday afternoon, and on a Tuesday morning phone call with ProElite. Muhsin, the dangerous, up-and-coming ShoXC alum faces world-class Cesar Gracie jiu-jitsu black belt Nick Diaz at EliteXC: Return of the King this Saturday at 10PM ET/PT.

The internet portion of the card, headlined by Kala Kolohe will be streaming live and free here at ProElite.com immediately following the Showtime broadcast.

MUHSIN'S CONFERENCE CALL/ INTERVIEW QUOTES AND HIGHLIGHTS

Q. Obviously Diaz is a significant step‑up in at least name recognition. What does that opportunity mean for you and what do you think it will take to get a victory on Saturday?

Corbbrey: It means a lot. It's going to come down to who wants it a little bit more. Every fight he goes in to, he fights tooth and nail to the end. This is going to be a tough, hard fight. I'm going to have to stand in there and get gritty with him.

But it's a huge opportunity. I have a ton of respect for him. He's a tough fighter that's been around forever. So, you know, I really appreciate EliteXC giving me the chance to step up and show what I can do.

Q. Having watched some of your fights it seems you bring a paced & measured attack to the cage. Nick Diaz bring constant pressure. How do you feel Nick's pressure matches up with your style?

Corbbrey: I think it's going to match up perfect, man. I think the fact that he's going to bring it-- I like to use a little more footwork. It think it's going to mesh well and bring a great show for the fans.

Q. Muhsin, Nick has an almost taunting, short‑punch boxing style that not a lot of people have been able to figure out, but KJ did. Do you think that's because of KJ's boxing skills? Do you think you're going to be able to take a cue from that and use your boxing experience to cut through that?

Corbbrey: I think I'm definitely going to try. I think KJ's boxing experience did come in and it showed a little bit. But I think Nick is a game guy. He's going to come in and use all of his ability. I've got to be prepared for that.

He's a tall southpaw. He's going to throw his fast punches and probably finish with something a little bit harder. So I've got to be prepared for what he brings to the table. I think my boxing will definitely help me out a lot. We'll see on Saturday night.

Q. Muhsin, having done some professional boxing, what do you think of the level of striking that goes on, and how does it compare in MMA?

Corbbrey: A lot of things work from boxing and a lot of things don't. If you train in MMA, you know what works and what doesn't. You can take a lot from every sport, and you just have to make it work for MMA. Boxing is definitely a huge part of MMA, as is wrestling, so you just have to take what works and leave out what doesn't work.

Q. Muhsin, you think he's going to look more for a submission and go that route against you?

Corbbrey: I mean, it's MMA, and Nick's a fighter. Wherever he's comfortable, he's going to try to make the fight happen. I've prepared myself to be ready anywhere. But like I said, Nick's a great competitor. He'll throw down with you on the eet or he'll grapple with you. It should be a great fight.

Q. Let's talk about the BJJ match up, as you've finshed a number of your opponents by submission.

Corbbrey: II have a few knockouts on my record too, as I have a Muay Thai and boxing background. Sometimes you knock a guy down and finish him with a submission; that's how MMA is. like to end it where I can end it. If it's on the feet, I'll end it on the feet. If it's on the ground, I'll end it on the ground. You know, I'm not afraid to be anywhere with Nick.

Q. As a Muslim fighter, how has that community responded to your fighting career? Do you have a Muslim fanbase?

Corbbrey: The big thing is I love everyone, I love my entire community. The Muslim community does back me heavily. They love what I do and watch all of my fights, but also just the community in general. Not just Muslims. People are people, and we try to get everybody behind it and everyone rallied. We're getting alot of support in that area.

Q. There is some talk that the winner of this fight gets a shot at the title. Is that something you would be open to-- taking a title shot?

Corbbrey: Definitley. Our goal in this sport is to get that precious metal around our waist. Right now I'm 100% focused on Nick Diaz and after that bout I will focus on the next bout.

Q. Being that Diaz and KJ are continually talking trash back and forth, do you feel that he is over looking you?

Corbbrey: He may be, he may not be. Nick's a good guy and he comes to fight in every fight. Hopefully he brings his A-Game becuase I'm going to bring mine. I'm fighting for my wife, my kids, my gym, and me; so I've got do my best out there. I've been training hard, so hopefully it will show in the ring.

Q. For people who have never seen you fight before, what should they expect to see in this fight with Nick?

Corbbrey: Just good technique and a lot of banging. It should be an amazing fight for the fans. You know Nick's going to bring it, and I'm going to bring it. It should be a knockdown-dragout.

Closing Comments:

Corbbrey: I want to thank everyone for having me here. I want to thank EliteXC for the opportunity to get out there and show what I can do. I think it's going to be a great fight. Nick Diaz is a great competitor, a hard‑nosed guy. It should be a fun fight for the fans. That's what I want to do. I want to give the fans something fun to watch. So tune in on Saturday, and hopefully you'll see something special. Thanks a

Feb 7, 2006
The Top 10 Fights in European History

The history of mixed martial arts more or less takes place in three countries: Brazil, Japan and the United States.

Brazil is the cradle of vale tudo, a Portuguese phrase that means "anything goes," which was the more violent and less regulated predecessor of MMA. On the beaches of Rio de Janeiro and in the gyms of São Paulo, boxers, wrestlers and jiu-jitsu practitioners squared off against one another under a limited set of rules as early as the 1920s.

Japan is the homeland of Kakutō, which means "fighting." The Japanese style of shoot wrestling has its origins in Puroresu, the counterpart to what Americans know as professional wrestling. In the mid to late 1980s, pro wrestlers looking for a more realistic style separated themselves from the present scene and founded Shooto, Rings and Pancrase -- three promotions that still exist today.

MMA in the United States has its roots in NHB, or No Holds Barred, events organized by previous UFC owner Semaphore Entertainment Group. SEG paved the way for what began as a spectacle to become a respected and recognized sport by introducing weight classes, gloves, five-minute rounds and a unified set of rules.

While Europe has produced some of the greatest fighters of all time like Bas Rutten (Pictures), Fedor Emelianenko (Pictures) and Mirko "Cro Cop," the northwestern part of the Old World has not been able to make a mark as a fighting continent quite like the three aforementioned countries.

Still, European MMA does have a history that goes back as far as 13 years. This article shines a light on 10 of the most significant fights to take place in England, Holland, Russia and Scandinavia during this time span. The bouts presented are not necessarily the most spectacular or entertaining but instead were relevant for the movement as a whole at the time.

10. Akira Maeda (Pictures) vs. Chris Dolman on Feb. 19, 1995 -- Amsterdam, Holland

Chris Dolman was a European champion in judo in the 1960s and one of the elite few to beat the Russians on their home turf in their national martial art of sambo.

He also ran the biggest security company in Amsterdam. As a result, he employed several bouncers whom he also trained at his dojo. Since his students -- among them Hans Nijman, Joop Kasteel, Dick Vrij, Herman Renting and the Overeem brothers -- were all trained martial artists (mostly wrestlers and kickboxers) themselves, Dolman was searching for a way to test their skills without getting into conflict with the law.

Enter Akira Maeda (Pictures).

The insanely popular pro wrestler at that time was just starting a new project called Rings and looking for teams from all around the world. Dolman knew Maeda from his stint in New Japan Pro Wrestling in the late 70s and agreed to send a selection of his fighters to Japan.

Maeda returned the favor by putting Dolman in charge of Rings Holland and faced him in the first real superfight on European soil in the history of the sport. The bout was a rematch from their first encounter six years earlier, which had taken place under UWF rules. In a highly entertaining scrap, Maeda had emerged the winner via leglock early in the fourth round at Osaka Stadium.

Six years later, Dolman got his revenge.

In the main event of the first Rings Holland show, Dolman defeated the legendary Japanese submission fighter by leglock. Two months later, he retired from active competition at 50.

Looking back, the impact Dolman had on the Dutch fighting scene was outstanding. He not only still runs shows under the Rings banner, he also paved the way to Japan for many of his more popular countrymen like Gilbert Yvel (Pictures), Peter Aerts (Pictures) and Semmy Schilt (Pictures). That is why it is not an overstatement to call Chris Dolman the father of Dutch MMA.

9. Igor Vovchanchyn (Pictures) vs. Paul Varelans on March 30, 1996 -- Kiev, Ukraine

Only months after the first European "free fight" event took place in the Netherlands, Russian promoters followed suit.

The former Soviet Union put its own spin on the sport by holding tournaments in one night that often had 16 or even 32 participants. One of the most star-studded tourneys at that time was the first International Fighting Championship, which took place in the capital of Ukraine in March 1996.

The marquee bout of the night was the semifinal between crowd favorite Igor Vovchanchyn (Pictures) and American trap fighter Paul Varelans. It was a true duel between David and Goliath, as the 6-foot-8, 300-pound Varelans towered over his opponent by 10 inches and outweighed him by more than 100 pounds.

Still, the outcome was the same as in the Bible. Vovchanchyn peppered his much larger foe with strikes on the feet, held his own in the clinch and eventually put him away with a series of punches and kicks at 2:22 of the first round.

Vovchanchyn went on to win that tournament and another six to set a record that is unmatched in the history of the sport. When he stepped into the Pride ring for the first time in October 1998, only two of his previous 25 bouts had gone the distance. He was rightly known as the most dangerous striker in MMA in the 1990s.

8. Semmy Schilt (Pictures) vs. Bob Schrijber (Pictures) on Oct. 22, 2000 -- Haarlem, Holland

The battle between Schilt and Schrijber was a passing of the torch in the Dutch MMA scene around the turn of the millennium. Although Schrijber was just coming off his stint in Pride and had won four out of his last five fights, the 35-year-old was already in the autumn of his career. Schilt, 10 years younger, had just successfully defended his open weight King of Pancrase title twice and was the clear favorite going into the fight.

"Dirty Bob," not only notorious for being one of the dirtiest players in the game but also an avid player of mind games, brought a ladder into the ring and had to climb onto the third rung to look Schilt straight into the eyes during the staredown.

None of that really helped him, though, as Schilt controlled the standup as expected. Schrijber took an incredible amount of punishment in the bout, including Schilt's devastating knee strikes from the clinch. In the end it was a standing guillotine choke that put Schrijber away early in the second round.

Schilt went on to a short stint in the UFC before making Pride his home in Japan and eventually becoming the most dominant kickboxer of the new millennium in K-1.

Schrijber had one last hurrah. He won the M-1 heavyweight title by knocking out heavily favored Russian wrestler Martin Malkhasyan (Pictures) in November 2001.

7. Gilbert Yvel (Pictures) vs. Carlos Barreto on March 18, 2001 -- Rotterdam, Holland

There was a huge rivalry between Holland and Brazil around the turn of the millennium, and the Brazilians were getting the better of the exchange.

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (Pictures) had just beaten Valentijn Overeem (Pictures) in the Rings King of Kings 2000 tournament final; Jose "Pele" Landi-Jons had come to Holland to win a decision over Martijn de Jong in Rotterdam; and Alexandre "Cacareco" Ferreira had submitted Bob Schrijber (Pictures) at the ninth edition of the World Vale Tudo Championship in the Caribbean. A Dutch fighter needed to break the spell if the Netherlands didn't want to sustain a permanent inferiority complex against the Brazilians.

In the main event of the second 2 Hot 2 Handle show, Gilbert Yvel (Pictures) was booked to face Carlos Barreto, a black belt in BJJ and a member of the newly established Brazilian Top Team. After being kicked in the groin by Barreto's compatriot Wanderlei Silva (Pictures) six months earlier, Yvel was ready to explode.

Barreto took down Yvel right off the bat, knowing well how dangerous it would be to stand toe to toe with the 25-year-old muay Thai specialist. He even had the "Hurricane" mounted, but Yvel knew enough submission defense to stay out of trouble. When the referee stood both men, Yvel seized the opportunity to connect with a short right hook that sent the Brazilian crashing to the canvas.

After a brief dispute between the referee and the panel of judges, the fight was allowed to continue. Yvel took a run and caught Barreto with a flying knee straight on the button. The Brazilian was out cold immediately, his legs twisted like a pretzel.

Holland had finally scored revenge against Brazil, and the knockout is still played in highlight clips today.

6. Ian Freeman (Pictures) vs. Frank Mir (Pictures) on July 13, 2002 -- London, England

In its 10th anniversary year, the UFC came to London for the first time.

Ian Freeman (Pictures), a 36-year-old stalwart of MMA in the United Kingdom, was set to clash with undefeated heavyweight prospect Frank Mir (Pictures). Although sporting a record of 2-1 in the Octagon, Freeman hadn't been invited back for the last 10 UFCs and had hit a rough spell, losing four straight fights at one point.

Mir, a BJJ specialist out of Las Vegas, had taken the heavyweight division by storm, submitting multiple-time BJJ world champion and ADCC winner Roberto Traven as well as Coleman-conqueror Pete Williams. Accordingly, Freeman rededicated himself to training in a way he had never done before. His camp for the Mir fight reportedly cost the man from Sunderland in northeast England in excess of 6,000 pounds.

It was money well invested.

Freeman established his presence in the Octagon right from the opening bell. The wily veteran resisted the submission attempts of his young and cocky challenger and put him through an absolute pounding on the mat. After 4:35 of vintage ground and pound, Mir, bloodied up and totally exhausted, could not continue.

Freeman made the U.K. proud that night and eventually retired when he was 38. After coming out of retirement for a second time, a now 41-year-old "Machine" defeated knockout artist Paul Cahoon (Pictures) in May for the Cage Rage British light heavyweight championship.

In addition to their similar styles, Freeman is now officially the English version of Randy Couture (Pictures).

5. Jose Landi-Jons (Pictures) vs. Lee Murray (Pictures) on July 13, 2003 -- London, England

A year later a bout took place that was even more important for the establishment of England as an MMA fighting nation.

Upstart promotion Extreme Force had the lofty ambition of becoming the United Kingdom's counterpart to the UFC. Blessed with wealthy backers, the London-based newcomers had signed top international talent like Jens Pulver (Pictures) and Renato "Babalu" Sobral for its debut show and also brought back Ian Freeman (Pictures).

After an almost unparalleled injury plight removed all three of the aforementioned fighters from the card, the bout between Brazilian vale tudo legend Jose "Pele" Landi-Jons and breakout star Lee Murray (Pictures) suddenly became the main event. Even though Murray had gained notoriety for knocking out then UFC champion Tito Ortiz (Pictures) on the streets of London a year before, most experts figured that Pele was simply too skilled and too experienced for the young Londoner.

The opposite was the case.

Murray, a pupil of Dutch grappling master Remco Pardoel and local boxing coach Terry Coulter, did the unthinkable. He handed the Brazilian, who in his prime had been a role model for Anderson and Wanderlei Silva (Pictures), his first knockout loss. Critics were quick to point out that Pele was already on the down slope of his career, but it was also a case of him meeting a rising star that night.

Two and a half years after this fantastic achievement, Murray was again in the news, this time in connection with the February 2006 £53-million Securitas raid -- Britain's biggest cash robbery.

Murray is currently held in custody in Morocco, where he was arrested for the possession of a large amount of cocaine. Morocco and England are negotiating his extradition, but the fact that Murray is also holding a Moroccan passport has delayed and complicated matters.

4. David Baron (Pictures) vs. Sauli Heilimo on March 12, 2005 -- Stockholm, Sweden

When David Baron (Pictures) challenged Sauli Heilimo for the Shooto European title in March 2005, big wins for French fighters over top international competition were a rare sight.

His opponent, Finland's Heilimo, had made a name for himself as an excellent and durable ground fighter. He had won two of the grueling FinnFight tournaments and competed both in Japan and the United States.

In the second Shooto sanctioned event in Sweden, the duo clashed for the welterweight belt. Both men put on a wrestling and submission fighting clinic with Baron surviving numerous choke attempts in the opening round. After the break the French judoka found his rhythm and stuffed Heilimo's takedown attempts, then punished the Finn with a series of leg kicks on the ground. Inside the guard of his opponent, Baron also scored with punches and knee strikes to the ribcage.

From side control, the Frenchman eventually risked losing dominant position and went for an inverted triangle choke, one of the most difficult submissions to pull off. Baron crossed his legs in front of Heilimo's face, and within seconds the Finn was forced to tap for only the second time in his career.

Baron went on to clean up most of the welterweight division in Europe and recently returned to Japan for a career-defining win over legendary Shooter Hayato "Mach" Sakurai.

3. Mattias Awad vs. Fabricio Nascimento (Pictures) on Oct. 8, 2005 -- Stockholm, Sweden

Seven months later Sweden again took center stage in Europe by hosting what many experts felt was the best show on the continent at the time.

Promoter European Vale Tudo had built a reputation in the previous two years by bringing in established professionals like Guy Mezger (Pictures) and Travis Lutter (Pictures) from the United States and pitting them against Scandinavia's best.

The recipe for the fifth show, called "Phoenix," was a different one. EVT put on a quartet of four-man, one-night tournaments to find the best fighters in Europe at 154, 168, 183 and 201 pounds. The welterweight grand prix was particularly talent-laden with rising French star Mohamed Khacha (Pictures), Nova Uniao Italia representative Fabricio Nascimento (Pictures), German kickboxer Dennis Siver (Pictures) and local hero Mattias Awad filling the brackets.

Nascimento, a BJJ black belt under André Pederneiras, had dispatched of Siver in a mere 47 seconds by kimura and was well rested. Awad, however, had to fight for eight hard minutes and needed a controversial referee stoppage to move into the finals. There the athletic Swede controlled his Brazilian opponent on the ground while persistently breaking down his defense with hard strikes from the top position.

Then, in the second round, something happened that even the most diehard Awad supporters wouldn't have expected. With less than a minute to go, the 30-year-old shootfighter took the back of Nascimento and submitted the Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt via rear-naked choke.

As the first and only European Vale Tudo welterweight grand prix winner, Awad put Sweden on the map as a fighting nation.

2. Melvin Manhoef (Pictures) vs. Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos on Feb. 4, 2006 -- London, England

Fans looking to get their buddies interested in the sport need to look no further than this fight -- one of the fiercest stand-up wars ever.

Former UFC light heavyweight champion Vitor Belfort (Pictures) had been considered as a challenger for Manhoef's Cage Rage title. Luckily for the fans, "The Phenom" turned down the fight, citing that Manhoef was not up to standard to fight him.

Although title fights often fail to live up to expectations, this clash between Dutch and Brazilian muay Thai stylists far exceeded the anticipation. Both men stood in the middle of the ring and banged it out for almost two rounds before one of them went down.

Cyborg fought a smart fight early, avoiding a direct exchange of blows by clinching and even putting Manhoef on his back. In the second round, though, Santos punched himself out.

Totally out of gas, both men stood in the middle of the cage trading shots. With his hands hanging at waist level, Cyborg gave Manhoef the opening he needed to end the fight. A vicious three-punch combination followed, sending the Brazilian crashing to the canvas.

It was Manhoef's penultimate fight for Cage Rage before permanently moving to Japan to fight exclusively for FEG's Hero's brand. The rough Dutchman has gone on to take all of his wins in Japan by knockout. Cyborg has recently arrived in Japan as well, and a smart promoter should immediately book a rematch between these two warriors.

1. Fedor Emelianenko (Pictures) vs. Matt Lindland (Pictures) on April 14, 2007 -- St. Petersburg, Russia

There isn't a superlative that hasn't been used for Russian heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko (Pictures).

That's why it was a major sensation for "The Last Emperor" to return to fight in his home country for the first time in six years. When Emelianenko left for his new sporting home in Japan in 2001, he was a solid samboist who also knew how to punch a bit. When he returned in April 2007 to take on Olympic wrestling silver medalist Matt Lindland (Pictures) in Russia, he was celebrated as the pound-for-pound best fighter in the world and acknowledged even by Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin.

While the sporting value of the bout is still debated today -- Fedor outweighed Lindland by 20 pounds and illegally grabbed the ropes to gain a decisive advantage at one point -- it gave fans a glimpse of what Russia could be as a host for the MMA industry in the future.

Emelianenko's return to St. Petersburg also had consequences for several fight promoters. A disagreement between Fedor's management team and upstart MMA league Bodog Fight, which had co-promoted the Lindland fight, contributed to Bodog's eventual demise. The event also put M-1 Mix-Fight, the series of events hosted by Emelianenko's manager Vadim Finkelstein, in an international spotlight after it had secured sponsors from the United States.

Those who have followed the seemingly endless saga about the Russian heavyweight know the outcome: The American and Russian branches of M-1 Global parted ways, making Fedor a virtual free agent again. He is now booked to take on former UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia (Pictures) on clothing company Affliction's July 19 debut show.

Whether it will take Fedor another six years to return to his homeland for a fight remains to be seen.

Feb 7, 2006
UFC 85 FIGHT JOURNAL: MARQUARDT TALKS LOSS

It has been two days since my fight with Thales. I haven't seen the fight yet, but from what I remember and from what I hear, I won the fight hands down, but lost on a technicality.

Let me first explain. The first point deduction seems like it was good. I thought Thales was standing up as his hips came up and his posture made it seem he was standing, however, his knee was still on the ground. The second point deduction was bad in my opinion. Thales had a single leg and his head was facing down. My elbow came at a horizontal angle and hit him in the side of the head, not the back (of the head).

Later that night, Joe Rogan told me that he pulled Herb Dean (the referee) aside after the fight to watch the replay from several angles. Joe said that even Herb Dean believed it was not an illegal elbow when he watched.

If the second point deduction had not been taken off, the fight would have been ruled a majority draw. Either way, I should have finished Thales. I had him very hurt a few times, but he is a tough guy.

It would be great if I could get a rematch with him to settle the controversy. I know if I was him, I would not be happy with winning a fight in that fashion.

I made several technical mistakes in that fight, but I am still happy with my performance. I can't control the outcome of the fight, only how I fight. And I did what I came to do, which was beat somebody up!

On a side note, our room was robbed last night and my computer, iPod, passport and several other items were stolen. That means we got robbed two days in a row here in London! HA :)

I want to thank all my fans here in London and back home and above all I want to thank God for blessing me with so much!

----------------------------

Nate Marquardt lost a split decision to Thales Leites at UFC 85 on June 7 at the O2 Arena in London. You can check out his personal websites at NateMarquardt.com and myspace.com/natemarquardt. He has his own academy in Denver called High Altitude Martial Arts and also trains at T’s KO Fight Club in Denver and at Jackson’s MMA in Albuquerque, N.M. Marquardt is sponsored by Tapout and is currently ranked as one of the Top 10 middleweight fighters in the world by MMAWeekly.com.

Feb 7, 2006
Doug Marshall vs Phil Collins PFC fight on July 18

Former WEC light heavyweight champion Doug Marshall (7-3) — who just lost his 205-pound belt to Brian Stann at WEC 33 via technical knockout in March — will return to action since on July 19.

The only difference is that he will now compete under the Palace Fighting Championship (PFC) banner, taking on Phil Collins. No, not the musician, but a worthy fighter who sports a 6-3 record. In fact, he relinquished his opportunity for the organization’s middleweight title to take on the “Rhino.”

Collins on taking the fight against Marshall:

“No disrespect to Nate, as he’s a great fighter. Nate’s already beat me, but if he’s walking around the Palace nobody knows who he is. If you see the ‘Rhino’, you know it’s the ‘Rhino’. Doug has been at the higher level and that’s what I want to get to. If I can beat him, then I think I can get there, too.”

Marshall, on the other hand, signed a one-fight deal with the orgainization to get back on track since losing to Stann last March. It’s more than likely after this fight that Marshall will return to the WEC and look to avenge his loss to “The All American.”

Marshall on fighting for PFC:

“I wanted to fight back at the Palace because of the Central Valley fans. I love watching the PFC. There’s a lot of young hungry fighters and I love the blackjack table. The fans can expect the same thing they can always expect from me and that’s to serve up a Central Valley ass whopping.”

Marshall will look to get back on the winning track at the Tachi Palace Hotel and Casino in Lemoore, Calif., on July Friday, 18. A win here and it will be the first step toward getting back in the WEC light heavyweight title picture.

Jul 24, 2005
DARK DAYS AS IFL CANCELS SHOW, FUTURE IN DOUBT

Several IFL athletes are already scheduled to fight for other various promotions. Bart Palaszewski, Rory Markham, and Mark Miller are all fighting on this weekend’s Adrenaline MMA debut event in Chicago. Andre Gusmao recently signed to fight for the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

While the IFL has ruled out the current possibility of selling off fighter contracts as a part of their asset liquidation, Larkin said that they have no intention of holding back their athletes from being successful.

“We’ll treat every case on a case-by-case basis, and the fighters are certainly a priority of ours,” he said in regards to fighters leaving the IFL for a different promotion. “We certainly would never hold anybody back from an opportunity.”

During the call, Larkin also alluded to the fact that the IFL has struggled to catch on with fans and become a successful business model in mixed martial arts, and he blames part of that on the success of the UFC.

“I think there is a halo effect over the UFC and there are fans of the UFC who are not necessarily fans of MMA, but they appreciate the UFC product, and not necessarily the quality of the fights,” commented the IFL CEO. “They certainly have good nights and they have bad nights, just like anybody else. But I do believe there is an element of the MMA fan base that believes if it’s not UFC, it’s crap. And that makes it very difficult for anybody to operate a business in that environment.”

The IFL was originally created by Kurt Otto and Gareb Shamus under the guise of adding a team concept to mixed martial arts, similar in mind to that of other professional sports league’s such as the National Football League or National Basketball League. Combat sports by its nature being an individualistic pursuit, the concept never really caught on with fans.

The IFL CEO mentioned several times during the call that the previous model and “team concept” were a large part of the company’s struggles, but also seemed to fault fans for their criticism of the IFL product or other shows, such as the recent CBS-EliteXC Saturday Night Fights broadcast on CBS Televsion.

“Suddenly, everybody who has an Affliction t-shirt and drinks energy drinks is now a television producer,” Larkin snapped about fans reactions to the CBS show.

The promotion has gone through several changes and facelifts over the past year to try and rescue it from its turbulent beginnings, but such attempts have not gained traction and everyone is left to wonder if an upturn will ever come.

Feb 7, 2006
Warrior's Sport

The World Series unites the American league and the National league to launch one team into greatness. The Super Bowl puts politics aside and solidifies one team’s greatness. The U.S. open gathers athletes from around the world and produces one winner- a definitive champion. Why then, does the booming sport of MMA lack a unified system where true champions are determined?

Superlatives like “best” and “greatest” plague our growing sport of elite athletes, carrying a sense of false substance. The true King of the KO, the ultimate Guru of Grappling, the decisive Wizard of...Bad Ass- for lack of a better metaphor, can only be determined through co-promotional fight cards.

In essence, the fighters you see are warriors in the purest sense of the word- acting courageously to defend his honor and battling the best to prove his greatness. Professional mixed martial artists carry this warrior mentality with them throughout all aspects of life, and pride themselves on going to war, and standing toe-to-toe whenever necessary.

Innovators in the mixed martial arts world, such as CEO of the International Fight League Jay Larkin, understand the importance of the best fighters fighting each other, regardless of what promotion they are affiliated with. “You’ve got to co-promote, or else your talent pool will wither. Also, by being protective of your fighters you’re diluting the value of that fighter’s championship,” Larkin stated. Proving to be a man of his word, Larkin has lived up to his statements, allowing IFL contender Bart Palaszewski to participate in this Saturday’s Adrenaline event. “It’s great, the IFL allowing us to fight on a different show,” Palaszewski, who’s determined to prove the fighters from the IFL can throw leather with the best, told MMAWeekly.

As certain leaders in the MMA industry prevent their fighters from participating in other promotions, the fights that hardcore fans dream of seeing become more and more unlikely. Ultimately, fans should determine the fights. If there is a desperate cry for Fedor vs. Couture, then by God, make the fight happen.

With other enlightened leaders in the industry such as President of Elite XC’s Live Events division Gary Shaw, who has been rumored to be discussing possible collaborations, there is still hope on the horizon for co-promotional dream bouts such as Benji Radach vs. Robbie Lawler or Yves Edwards vs. Ryan Schultz.

Why aren’t all MMA organizations enthusiastic about co-promotional fights you might ask? Well, certain seemingly invincible “icemen” might be proved to be mortal after all, as was the case at PRIDE Final Conflict in 2003. While it is understandable that a promotion may not want to risk an athlete’s reputation against a dangerous fighter, the various and plentiful titles of the different promotions will become increasingly devalued if true champions are not established.

The bottom line is, whether it be in a cage or a ring, fans crave to find out who the toughest fighters really are. In order to legitimize mixed martial arts as an elite sport rather than a spectacle, promoters must put egos aside and allow the fighters to prove themselves to be the best, and enable them to leave a lasting legacy in the fight world. After all, true warriors wouldn’t want it any other way.

Feb 7, 2006
Jon Fitch – The Wait is Over

For much of his career, Jon Fitch seemed destined to be MMA’s Charlie Brown, ready to kick the football only to have it pulled Related News
out from him at the last moment. Whether it was being left off the cast of the first season of The Ultimate Fighter while about to board the plane for Las Vegas or having most of his early UFC fights off television, it looked like Fitch couldn’t have any breaks go his way.
“Fighters and trainers and people who know the sport behind the scenes know about me and how good I am,” said Fitch. “It’s just that casual people really haven’t had the opportunity to learn anything about me. They haven’t got to see a lot of my fights live. Seeing things in real time is different than watching it back on tape delay. It’s a little bit harder to build a fanbase that way.”

But the Indiana native didn’t sulk, didn’t cry ‘woe is me.’ He did what true fighters do – he put his head down, trained with an almost religious fervor, and kept winning. And in this sport, if you win enough, no one can keep you away from the top prize forever.

On August 9th, Fitch gets his shot at the welterweight division’s crown jewel, and he’s not about to let this opportunity pass him by.

“I’m just excited,” said Fitch of his UFC 87 main event against UFC welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre. “I’m working out, starting to put the gameplan together, and just having a great time with it already.”

Fitch sounds genuinely happy about his shot, even though some fighters would look at Montreal’s GSP and hope for an easier route to the title. That’s not Fitch’s way, and he’s always sought out the toughest challenges on his road to the crown – a road that has seen him win eight in a row in the Octagon over quality foes like Thiago Alves, Diego Sanchez, Luigi Fioravanti, Roan Carneiro, Brock Larson, Josh Burkman, Kuniyoshi Hironaka, and most recently Chris Wilson.

But his eighth win in the organization may have been his toughest as he was pushed for three rounds by Wilson at UFC 82 in March before scoring a unanimous decision win.

“He was as tough as I expected,” said Fitch of Wilson, a Team Quest standout who was making his UFC debut. “I expected him to come forward and try to finish more. I wasn’t cutting off the ring and he was picking his spots looking for that one big shot and wasn’t really looking to put in the work to dig out a win. It was his opportunity to showcase himself a bit and show that he belonged in the UFC, so you can’t blame him for having that strategy.”

The win firmly established Fitch as the top challenger for the title, but first there was the business of April 19th’s rematch between Matt Serra and St-Pierre. If St-Pierre won, Fitch’s title shot was secure; if Serra retained the title, Matt Hughes would have likely leapfrogged Fitch into the next championship fight. Guess who Fitch was cheering for that night?

“Of course, I was going for St-Pierre to win,” chuckled Fitch. “He’s arguably one of the pound for pound best out there, so he’s the guy I want to beat to get the title. I had a feeling GSP was gonna pull it out. He came out with a great gameplan, controlled the fight and finished it quickly.”

And now the stage is set for their August showdown.

“He’s tough,” said Fitch of the champion. “He’s good on his feet, has good wrestling and jiu-jitsu, and it’s gonna be a tough fight. I can’t get into too much to give away a gameplan, but he’s athletic and quick and the only way to deal with that is timing, so I’m gonna have to make sure I’m very sharp that night.”

Luckily, helping him out during training camp will be a former opponent of St-Pierre – Josh Koscheck, who was decisioned by GSP back at UFC 74 in August of last year.
“I’ve been picking Koscheck’s brain since they fought,” said Fitch. “I’ve already got all the information out
of Koscheck about him. Just knowing Kos and training with him so much and watching their fight, I can get a feel for St-Pierre and what he’s able to do and not do.”

Fitch, a student of the game, has not only watched the St-Pierre-Koscheck fight, but he has studied all of the Canadian’s bouts and has even mirrored his style in the gym to find out what makes him tick when the bell ring.

“He’s been out there for so long and I’ve been imitating him and mimicking him and trying to figure out what he’s doing and watching him for so long that’s going to be an advantage right there,” said Fitch. “Having all that film and time and experience watching him, I’ve been able to come up with ideas and ways to deal with him.”

That’s going to be the easy part; the tough part is executing against one of the game’s best, pound for pound, especially when you have a wrestling base and St-Pierre has shown spectacular wrestling skills in dismantling recent foes Serra, Koscheck, and Hughes. Fitch isn’t worried though.

“It’s a fight and wherever it needs to go, that’s fine with me,” he said. “If he takes me down, fine, I’ll get back up. I might take him down or might not take him down at all – who knows. It’s a fight and I don’t have to pigeonhole myself into one mindset to win this fight.”

Jon Fitch is ready. You can hear it in his voice, where a quiet confidence lurks behind the excitement of getting his first world title shot. It’s been a long time coming for the 30-year old, but the wait is over and he’s eager to take his place on top of the 170-pound weight class.

“I can be in the position where guys can’t duck me, they can’t run away, they can’t say ‘no, I don’t want to fight him. He’s not big enough, he doesn’t have enough of a name,’” he said. “They have no excuse now. If I have the belt, there’s no excuse, and if you say you’re the best, then we’re gonna fight.”

Feb 7, 2006
TRUMP VP NAMED COO OF AFFLICTION ENTERTAINMENT

Last week at a press conference in New York City, Affliction announced its partnership with Donald J. Trump. On Tuesday, Michael D. Cohen, Executive Vice President & Special Counsel to Mr. Trump, was named Chief Operating Officer for Affliction Entertainment.

Affliction and The Trump Organization, in association with Roy Englebrecht Events, will present their entry into the world of professional mixed-martial-arts (MMA) with its first event, “Affliction Banned,” scheduled for July 19, 2008 at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.

“I’m extremely honored to serve as COO for Affliction Entertainment,” Mr. Cohen said. “MMA is the fastest growing sport in the world and I’ve been a tremendous fan for years. I can assure everyone – fans watching on pay-per-view and those in attendance from all over the world – that our upcoming pay-per-view show will be the greatest MMA night ever. I’m nearly speechless knowing Mr. Trump and Affliction have the trust in me for an event that features the greatest assembly of MMA fighters for one show in MMA history. This is like having Ali, Frazier, Tyson, Holyfield and other top heavyweights all on the same boxing card. It’s unprecedented and will revolutionize the way MMA fans view this sport.”

“Affliction Banned” will be headlined by the much-anticipated return of Russian heavyweight superstar and former undisputed Pride champion Fedor Emelianenko in association with M-1, against former 2-time Ultimate Fighting Championship heavyweight titleholder Tim Sylvia.

Feb 7, 2006
Georgian Olympic Medalists Invade SENGOKU!

SENGOKU III is over and the fourth event in August will be the beginning of the SENGOKU Lightweight Tournament to find an opponent for Takanori Gomi in the first ever SENGOKU Lightweight title fight. The only surprise at SENGOKU III was that former DEEP Lightweight champion Kazunori Yokota will participate in the tournament. The other four names were expected.

Also announced were five new SENGOKU fighters. Frank Trigg was rumored to fight at SENGOKU III but it didn’t happen. Instead he was announced as a new signing at the event and it seems that he will make his debut at SENGOKU IV according to MMAJunkie.

The other four new signings are all top players in their respective martial art. What I find very exciting about this is that three of these four fighters are below 30 years old. They are all big guys who will probably fight in the Light Heavyweight or Heavyweight divisions and they are all from Georgia. Here is a quick look at these four fighters achievements, more detailed posts will come soon.

Eldari Kurtanidze

The only one older than 30 is Eldari Kurtanidze who already made his MMA debut when he lost to Kazuyuki Fujita at Pride Shockwave 2006. He is a 1996 & 2000 Olympic Freestyle Wrestling bronze medalist and a 2002 & 2003 Freestyle Wrestling World Championship gold medalist.

Georgi Gogchelidze

28 year old Georgi Gogchelidze is a 2001 Freestyle Wrestling World Championship gold medalist and a 2006 Freestyle Wrestling World Championship silver medalist.

Ramaz Nozadze

24 year old Ramaz Nozadze is a 2004 Olympic Greco-Roman Wrestling silver medalist and a 2007 Greco-Roman Wrestling World Championship gold medalist.

Zurab Zviadauri

27 year old Zurab Zviadauri is a 2001 & 2003 Judo World Championship silver medalist and a 2004 Olympic Judo gold medalist.

SENGOKU IV
Date: August 24th, 2008
Place: Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan

Takanori Gomi vs. TBA
Frank Trigg vs. TBA

Lightweight Tournament Participants:
Satoru Kitaoka
Eiji Mitsuoka
Kazunori Yokota
Rodrigo Damm
Duane Ludwig