Mixtapes

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 11, 2005
It seems like everybody is doing a mixtape. What makes a good mixtape? Is it the beat? the rap? If the beat is not a familiar tune, is it still considered a mixtape?

Jake

Sicc OG
May 1, 2003
a mixtape is when you have 45 songs that are all 1 min long, the first 15 sec is the host DJ yellin out a bunch of randon shit ..."BRONX!! HOT SHIT!!! DJ WAX FINGERS!!! CHURCHS CHICKEN!!! followed by only one verse and the rest is the guy talkin shit about how great his album is going to be and how its "coming soon". throw in a bunch of sound effects of guns going off and annoying ass sirens,throw a $8 price tag on it and you have a mixtape

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
Jake said:
a mixtape is when you have 45 songs that are all 1 min long, the first 15 sec is the host DJ yellin out a bunch of randon shit ..."BRONX!! HOT SHIT!!! DJ WAX FINGERS!!! CHURCHS CHICKEN!!! followed by only one verse and the rest is the guy talkin shit about how great his album is going to be and how its "coming soon". throw in a bunch of sound effects of guns going off and annoying ass sirens,throw a $8 price tag on it and you have a mixtape
you forgot to mention that the guy will be saying the same shit for two years on ~200 mixtapes before the album comes out and whne it does it will suck

Mar 25, 2006
i dont know mixtapes that i enjoy are the ones were they just make songs out other peoples songs like how clipse does with the we go it for cheap mixtapes

Jan 1, 2006
The hottest mixtapes I've heard are from THE TEAM... mostly because they put personality behind it. I like those tidbits where they go off into some random talking, it's funny and classic.

A mixtape to me has to be continuous nonstop play through. Beat jacking is ok but it sucks when the song is in heavy rotation cause in essence they're tryna get recognized for that.

Apr 20, 2005
Its cool when they drop maybe a couple of mixtapes before the album drops. But it seems like everybody now is droppin like 9 to 10 mixtapes and finally when the albums gets a release date. It gets pushed back. Then the artist has to start doin the mixtape promotion thing all over again.

Oct 16, 2006
www.reverbnation.com
When I make a mixtape track, it always starts with the beat... I never wanna use something that I dont feel I can flip harder... i.e. Im not gonna rap on a Mac Dre instrumental to Cal Bear an expect everyone to love it, or California Love by Pac... Also I dont like hearing beats on mixtapes that are hit singles already... Cuz it jus sounds cheesy to re-do em most of the time. I go for the beats that make people say 'uhh! who made this?!?'... An then I follow up with some dope lyrics to show em what I got.

Like someone else said, my favorite mixtapes are the 1's by The Team... even when the beat is over an they're jus talking its still holdin my attention.

Apr 6, 2005
Jake said:
gold