MIXTAPES SHUTTING DOWN LIQUOR STORES

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 26, 2006
I RECENTLY WENT TO MODESTO TO THE RECORDING STUDIO LIKE LAST WEEK. I WENT TO GO GET SOME DRANK AT THE LIQUOR STORE. I THEN ASK THE OWNER IF I COULD ADD MY CDS AND RACKS. I RECENTLY GOT A LIQUOR STORE CHAIN DISTRIBUTION DEAL (50-100 STORES), AND WANTED TO SEE IF I COULD GET THE SAME IN THAT AREA. SO ANYWAYS, THE OWNERS WIFE YELLED, "NO NO NO," MY BROTHERS STORE AND A FRIENDS STORE GOT SHUT DOWN FOR SELLING CDS." SHE SAID THAT THE REASON WAS PIRATE CDS "MIXTAPES-TAKING OTHER PEOPLES MUSIC TALKING RAPPING/SHOUTING, OVER IT SLAPPING THEM ON THE COVER WITHOUT PERMISSION." ANYWAYS 2 STORES GOT SHUT DOWN AND CASES WERE FILED DUE TO COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT. THATS FUCKED UP RIGHT THERE. SO TO ALL MIXTAPE DJ'S AND MC'S IM JUST MAKING YOU AWARE MAKE SURE YOU GO THROUGH THE RIGHT CHANNELS BEFORE RELEASING MIXTAPES "TITLED" "BOOTLEGS," SHUTTING DOWN PEOPLES STORES FOR A QUICK $5 $10 HERE AND THERE. SOONER OR LATER YOUR CONTRACT YOU HAVE BETWEEN THE LIQUOR STORE AND YOU WILL LINK YOU TO A CASE. "THE JUDGE GONE WANT TO KNOW WHO THE STORE GOT THEM FROM AND WHO WAS INVOLVED. THE OWNERS WIFE IMMEDIATELY STATED, "HER BROTHER AND THE FRIEND ARE USING THE CONTRACTS SIGNED FOR CONSIGNMENT IN THE CASES. IF THE MIXTAPE DJ AINT PROPERLY PROTECTING HIS MIXTAPES AND YOUR ON THEM...HM GO FIGURE.

JUST LETTING YALL KNOW.

May 26, 2006
autistic said:
Thats the first Ive heard of this type of thing.
Me too. That's why Im posting it on the siccness.

Furthermore,

Harry Fox Agency I would imagine issues licenses for copyrighted works. Like you put in that you want a license for 500 sold only. That means you cant sell no more then 500 copies "legally." After you sell those 500 you have to put in another bid. See you have to pay them the calculated fee upfront to obtain the license. You can go up to 2500 copies or more. Whatever you want the amount to be you have to pay for the license to use/sell. FOR EACH ARTIST ON YOUR MIXTAPE. With my deal at the liquor stores I only use copyrighted material I own, with permission slips from all the other artists on the mixtape to use what "they own." Plus copies of their copyrights for the music they've made. Stores become more trustworthy when there's documentation behind your product.

Most mixtape Dj will use a disclaimer like "All music is not for sale, only the sticker." Meaning, The music is for promotional use only, the dj is only selling the packaging in order to continue to promote the artists on the mixtape. But still the above is the way to go...Most are like they aren't worried about me Im off the radar, too small to trip off, then a store gets shut down....somewhere...

Jun 6, 2006
what many people fail to realize is that because of technology and the current market,the industry is cracking down on laws big time...cats need to get they publishing straight,licences,copyrights,all that shit

i kno of hella cats thats being spun on kmel right now they aint even got they publishing and performance rights worked out,niggas aint finna get no type of royalty$$$...get yo paper work game up before u put it to the public....im tellin u mayne,its gettin real crucial...plus they turnin down more and more deals

May 26, 2006
C.M.P CEO said:
what many people fail to realize is that because of technology and the current market,the industry is cracking down on laws big time...cats need to get they publishing straight,licences,copyrights,all that shit

i kno of hella cats thats being spun on kmel right now they aint even got they publishing and performance rights worked out,niggas aint finna get no type of royalty$$$...get yo paper work game up before u put it to the public....im tellin u mayne,its gettin real crucial...plus they turnin down more and more deals
THANK YOU.

Oct 21, 2006
Damn thanks. I didn't know you could put out a mixtape legally with other people's beats on it. How expensive is Harry Fox Agency, say for 20 copyrighted beats?

Its like Monte said, Most cats dont wanna get the paperwork done, but that just limits them. I try to tell people to get the paperwork in order.

Sep 9, 2006
Real talk. My homie got his LIQ shut down here in Sacramento for selling bootleg cd's. It was the spot though, dude always had the new shit before it hit the stores. He got folded like 3 years ago. Shortly after that I found RN.com and now i'm the one with all the new shit before it hits the stores.

May 26, 2006
City Situation said:
Damn thanks. I didn't know you could put out a mixtape legally with other people's beats on it. How expensive is Harry Fox Agency, say for 20 copyrighted beats?

Its like Monte said, Most cats dont wanna get the paperwork done, but that just limits them. I try to tell people to get the paperwork in order.

HERES THE GET DOWN.... http://www.harryfox.com/index.jsp

Mechanical Licensing

Description

Mechanical licensing is the licensing of copyrighted musical compositions for use on CDs, records, tapes, and certain digital configurations.

HFA and Mechanical Licensing
HFA was established as an agency to license, collect, and distribute royalties on behalf of musical copyright owners.

If you would like to make less than 2,500 copies of your recording as either physical products (CDs, cassettes, and vinyl) or permanent digital downloads, we suggest you request your licenses using HFA Songfile. If you plan on making more than 2,500 copies, please open an HFA Licensee Account.

Licensees with established HFA accounts can also register to use HFA's online licensing system, eMechanical. Click here for more details.

If you have an HFA Licensing Account, you can use the HFA Royalty Reporting Form for your quarterly reporting and payment of mechanical royalties. If you are interested in reporting digitally, please contact HFA Publisher Services

For current royalty rate information, please review the Statutory Royalty Rates page. It should be noted that a mechanical license does not include the right to reproduce an already existing sound recording. That is a separate right, called a Master Use Right, which must be procured from the copyright owner of such sound recording.

* HFA issues mechanical licenses that are valid for products manufactured and distributed in the U.S. (including its territories and possessions), or from computer servers located in the U.S. and its territories and posessions, only.
* Mechanical licenses are available only to U.S. manufacturers or importers with U.S. addresses.
* Note: An HFA mechanical license does not include the right to display or reprint lyrics or the right to print sheet music. Nor does it cover any use of the song or lyrics in karaoke or "CD+G" products. For these rights, you must contact the publisher(s) directly.

Mechanical Licensing Laws

Under the United States Copyright Act, the right to use copyrighted, non-dramatic musical works in the making of phonorecords for distribution to the public for private use is the exclusive right of the copyright owner. However, the Act provides that once a copyright owner has recorded and distributed such a work to the U.S. public or permitted another to do so, a compulsory mechanical license is available to anyone else who wants to record and distribute the work in the U.S. upon the payment of license fees at the statutory "compulsory" rate as set forth in Section 115 of the Act.

Mechanical Licensing Forms

BASEDVATO

Judo Chop ur Spirit
May 8, 2002
I doubt a liq would be closed for that, sounds like tribal word a mouth
Worst would be a fine, 2nd record stores have millions of mixtapes and won't close over that

Shit like that makes headlines, like RIAA shuts down small time mom and pop corner store for selling cd's...

Jul 6, 2007
SQMonte said:
Real talk. My homie got his LIQ shut down here in Sacramento for selling bootleg cd's. It was the spot though, dude always had the new shit before it hit the stores. He got folded like 3 years ago. Shortly after that I found RN.com and now i'm the one with all the new shit before it hits the stores.
what rn.com