Minus The Bear

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 20, 2004
Wow.This is my new favorite band.These guys make sweet fuckin music, goddamnit.

I went on a bunge and DL a bunch of shit. Oddly enough, most of the bands had animal names!:confused:

The Arms Are Snakes-Easter
Pelican(all)
We Versus The Shark-Ruin Everything!
Minus The Bear(all)
Grizzly Bear-Yellow House
Sleeping At Last(all)
The Coma Lilies-Memento Mori
Mae(all)
Saosin(all)(these guys are sick)
The Juliana Theory(all)
Copeland(all)
Lisa Gerrard(all)(check her out, she is the ex-singer of Dead Can Dance)

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
Minus the Bear is dope as fuck. They are from Seattle (well some are from Tacoma too, whatever.) They are made up of ex-members of Botch (one of the best hardcore style bands ever IMO), Kill Sadie and Sharks Keep Moving ( the lead singer of Minus's old band, really good as well, you should track some of their stuff down.)

Minus the Bear puts on really great shows too. I have seen them twice now and each time was amazing.

Funny enough These Arms Are Snakes are made up of ex members of Botch too. Totally different sound than Minus though, more post hardcore. Of course they are from Seattle as well. I think both bands are great but I like Minus the Bear more. I'm telling you Seattle's (and the rest of WA) rock scene is strong as ever these last few years.

What did you think of the Grizzly Bear's Yellow House album Jae? I think it's one of the best albums to come out this year. "Knife" off that album is one of the best songs I have heard in a long time. They remind me a lot of a not so weird version of Animal Collective. You should download some tracks by Animal Collective, really great stuff but a little strange, in a good way.

Saosin is Anthony Green from Circa Survives old band. They are alright IMO. Their best work was the Translating the Name while Anthony was still the lead singer.

Pelican is fucking great Post Rock/Metal. I love all their albums.

I never heard of the rest outside of Mae but I never heard anything by them. I'll have to track some tunes down by the other bands.

May 9, 2002
Nuttkase said:
Minus the Bear is dope as fuck. They are from Seattle (well some are from Tacoma too, whatever.) They are made up of ex-members of Botch (one of the best hardcore style bands ever IMO), Kill Sadie and Sharks Keep Moving ( the lead singer of Minus's old band, really good as well, you should track some of their stuff down.)

Minus the Bear puts on really great shows too. I have seen them twice now and each time was amazing.

Funny enough These Arms Are Snakes are made up of ex members of Botch too. Totally different sound than Minus though, more post hardcore. Of course they are from Seattle as well. I think both bands are great but I like Minus the Bear more. I'm telling you Seattle's (and the rest of WA) rock scene is strong as ever these last few years.

What did you think of the Grizzly Bear's Yellow House album Jae? I think it's one of the best albums to come out this year. "Knife" off that album is one of the best songs I have heard in a long time. They remind me a lot of a not so weird version of Animal Collective. You should download some tracks by Animal Collective, really great stuff but a little strange, in a good way.

Saosin is Anthony Green from Circa Survives old band. They are alright IMO. Their best work was the Translating the Name while Anthony was still the lead singer.

Pelican is fucking great Post Rock/Metal. I love all their albums.

I never heard of the rest outside of Mae but I never heard anything by them. I'll have to track some tunes down by the other bands.
You need to let me know when shows are happening around town, dude. The only shows ive been to in the last 9 years, are ones where someone either gets shot or stabbed at. Never really was my forte'.

Now I know why I like Soasin so much!HA!

Yellow House is soothing to say the least. I like the band as whole, good stuff.

I think you would like Copeland, check the out.

I was looking for Kill Sadie, but to no avail. I just got Botch and Sharks Keep Moving, so im gonna jam them out after lunch (gotta was The Departed again, fuckin excellent film!).

Do you know anything about this band The Casket Lottery? Or Underotath(metalcore)?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underoath

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Casket_Lottery

Also, Coalesce:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coalesce

Im trying to get into the post-hardcore music a bit more, i know i can!

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
I personally like Underoath. A lot on here don't. To me their best album is They're Only Chasing Safety, but I did like Define the Great Line a lot too (I have the feeling Smurf is going to be shaking his head when he reads that lol)

There is much better post-hardcore out there though. It's a really vauge topic on what is and isn't "post-hardcore" though.

You should checkout...

Alexisonfire (primarily their first two albums)
From Autumn to Ashes
glassJAw
Quicksand
Hopesfall
Funeral for a Friend
Poison the Well (except stay away from the album You Come Before You, everything before that is amazing.)
The Bled
As Cities Burn
He Is Legend (a mix of post-hardcore and southern rock, really good stuff)
Hell Is For Heroes
Silverstein

Ummm I'm sure I'm forgetting quite a few really good ones because I have been on this whole Screamo kick for the last couple of months.

Kill Sadie is from Minneapolis but the members moved to Seattle before breaking up. It took me forever to track down one of their albums (Experiments In Expectation) but it's a great album. They are post-hardcore too.

The Departed is a great fucking movie by the way. I've seen it twice now too. Have you seen Apocalypto yet? I can't really stand Mel Gibson at all but it was a great fucking movie.

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
Highly Refined Pirates 4TW
Closely followed by Menos El Oso and ...Beer Commercials.

We Vs. The Shark?! Fucking ripoff. Bear VS. Shark was the shit till they broke up earlier in the year. They're like a heavier Minus teh Bear.

Anyways, Minus The Bear is in the studio right now, I think. I know they've been doing new songs at small shows lately, a friend of mine saw them and said they were great. So I'm hoping there's gonna be a new album this year.

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
Yeah last I heard they are in the studio again. They are also droping a remix album of Menos El Oso titled Interpretaciones del Oso in 2007. That should be interesting to say the least.

I was so fucking bummed when I heard Bear Vs. Shark broke up. I like both of their albums a lot but Right Now, You're in the Best of Hands... is by far the better of the two IMO. I can listen to that album all the way through a few times in a row.

@ Smurf...I haven't heard the newest FATA yet. Does it totally suck or just not as good as their first two? I guess they are going to becoming out with a new album in 07 called Holding A Wolf By The Ears.

Aug 20, 2004
a star impaled said:
How is We Versus The Shark?

What did you think of The Coma Lillies?

Also if you're really digging may they have an album (wich they prefer to pretend doesn't exist) under the name Sky's The Limit

I don't really care for These Arms Are Snakes they are too zanny in the same fashion as Blood Brothers and Soiled Doves for me.

Juliana Theory fucking rules! (haha the dawson's creek band) Especially the songs Jewel To Sparkle, Into The Dark, Believe Me and I forget the name but it starts out "I won't nurture and feed this bitterness..." If you like them you really should check out Matchbox Romance's Stories and Alibis

Underoath has some pretty good shit. They're only Chasing Safety and the album before it are great. Define The Great Line has like 3 songs I actually like and the rest just sounds blah to me. You'll probably run into alot of people who are bored that will either say: "Eww that's a faggot christian band they suck" or "Their old stuff was soooo much better" <-----Not true at all!

I co-sign for alot of the stuff Nuttkase mentioned. Make sure if you check out FATA that it's the first 2 albums. Their new one is pretty weak.

Also:

Armor For Sleep
A Second Chance
Small Towns Burn A Little Slower
Novella
The Postman Syndrome/Day Without Dawn
City and Colour
The Kidcrash (new ruins)
The Getaway Plan
Behind Crimson Eyes
The Amity Affliction
Monday In London
Lorene Drive
Jack's Mannequin
In Reverent Fear
Later Days
Lazarus
Waking Ashland
Autumn Wind Thesis (Now known as The Pax Cecilia and one of the most creative bands I've ever come across)
Bedlight for Blueeyes
Dead Red Sea
Jesu (although I honestly find Jesu boring as fuck alot of others disagree)
Ever We Fall
Ariel Kill Him
Superstitions of the Sky (ex joshua fit for battle)
A Thorn For Every Heart
A Day Past Forever
30 Days To Febuary
Adair
Dead Star Diary
Holy beJesus man. Just when i thought i was up on my rock game, here you come with more scomptious bands to persue, good lookin brotha!

We Vs. The Shark is cool. THey are Indie rock "ruffed out" if that makes any sense. They sound much more "garage".

Juliana Theory is good. They get the same rap as Mae, who is signed to a Christian label, but is not considered Christian rock.