Microphone preamps.....

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 6, 2003
www.midwestinvasion.com
IM interested in making my mic sound better. What are some good preamps and ad converters that you guys sugest. Im budgeted around 4500 dollars. Im running a mxl v69 thru my tascam fw 1082 strait to my daw. any suggestions will be apreciated. Thank you very much

Im not to familar with pres and ad converters so any knowledge will be helpful

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
I figure with a budget like that you'd know what your looking for.

For Vocals alot of people use the avalon 737, different pres sound better on other interuments or vocals etc, depends on what your trying to do. I never heard them but i'm curious on what those liquid channels can do. they are supposed to be able to emulate all kinds of different pres and compressors

Jan 6, 2003
www.midwestinvasion.com
I figure with a budget like that you'd know what your looking for.

For Vocals alot of people use the avalon 737, different pres sound better on other interuments or vocals etc, depends on what your trying to do. I never heard them but i'm curious on what those liquid channels can do. they are supposed to be able to emulate all kinds of different pres and compressors

Yea I was researching the focusrite liquid channel it looks like it has potential. I heard the 737 was pretty sicc to but I really dont know what Im looking for. I budgeted around there not just for my pre amp but for my whole sound to get better(mics, pres dacs, ect.)

man if you got bread like that, I'd get a better mic to start. . and yea the Avalon vt737 is nice..
What mic do you suggest. I was looking at the akg c 414 has any ever used this mic?

Mar 22, 2004
i haven't used any AKG's , but I know some are pretty good.
I like the Neumann mics. You can usually find some deals on craigslist or Ebay. I've used the U87 and Avalon many times, and it's a good combo.
My boy uses a Blue Mic and a Focusrite Liquid channel and that shit is nice too!

Feb 2, 2006
What mic do you suggest. I was looking at the akg c 414 has any ever used this mic?
i recorded that one song i posted in the other thread on the c414 its on my page too "money and pussy" - just a quick mix not mastered

www.myspace.com/malkimeansking

c414 actually grew on me i didnt like how it made my voice sound a few years ago when i first started recording but i recently started using it over the nueman tlm103. that thing sounds good just off the m-box 2. u cant do that with neuman mics they need nice pre's to sound decent. if i were u i would cop that as your main vocal mic unless you get a u87. BLUE mics sound good i just have no expereince with using them so i cant recommend them to you.

i recorded that one song i posted in the other thread on the c414 its on my page too "money and pussy" - just a quick mix not mastered

www.myspace.com/malkimeansking

c414 actually grew on me i didnt like how it made my voice sound a few years ago when i first started recording but i recently started using it over the nueman tlm103. that thing sounds good just off the m-box 2. u cant do that with neuman mics they need nice pre's to sound decent. if i were u i would cop that as your main vocal mic unless you get a u87. BLUE mics sound good i just have no expereince with using them so i cant recommend them to you.
right on i can dig it. Im thinking bout going with the focusrite liquid channel and the akg c414 or the u87. but I dont know should I get a better audio interface? I have a tascam 1082 and was wondering if it would lower my quality if i dont get a better interface and thoughts.......

Thanks again

Mar 22, 2004
mics on ebay? Vince is CRAAAZAAYY.. who knows what they got brewin in they chops... get a package deal.. sell the OK stuff on ebay and put it towards your other shit..
lol, man I've bought tons of shit on Ebay and craigslist, just know who you're buying from. I don't think I'd ever buy shit from the store unless I couldn't find it elsewhere first. The markup is so high on equipment at the store,

Feb 2, 2006
right on i can dig it. Im thinking bout going with the focusrite liquid channel and the akg c414 or the u87. but I dont know should I get a better audio interface? I have a tascam 1082 and was wondering if it would lower my quality if i dont get a better interface and thoughts.......

Thanks again
so u are using cubase? i just peeped the interface looks allright to me! 24 bit/96 khz pretty good. personally i prefer pro tools but i see no reason to get it if u have that.

so u are using cubase? i just peeped the interface looks allright to me! 24 bit/96 khz pretty good. personally i prefer pro tools but i see no reason to get it if u have that.

Yea i use to work with pro tools until I got this interface..... the daw controller didnt work well with pro tools so I switched to cubase and actually I found in the long run I like cubase much better..... Its just my preference

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
vince or someone in the know aughta make a buying on CL and ebay thread, i see alot of smoking deals on both but am apprehensive bc i dont want to get burned. I saw an MPC 2500 for a grand on CL and was thinking about copping it

yea. ebays a good tool. but somtimes you get burned. I ordered a motif from there it said brand new and it was used with dings and scratches. I filed a dispute and all they told be was he would refuned 2 hundred dollars. I think thats bs because i like my shit new with no or very little use.... o well I got the board for $600 it was a used motif es6 model.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
i just wouldnt want to buy something that was broken or all out burned. the mpc is on local phoenix though, i'd check that shit out personally before i'd give dude anything. Just seems too good to be true, someone is selling a mpc 1000 for like 300 bucks. sounds like someone is trying to pull a jack.

on topic on the mic pres though, you would probably want to buy one of those new if you don't know exactly what your looking for. make sur eyou are getting the sound your looking for and can take it back if you dont like it you can also peep gearorphanage.com they got all kinds of stuff and they are legit

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
Man I came up on Craigslist the other day lol. The problem I've had, and Vince can verify this cause I showed him the shit, is that some people put ads up when they aren't ready to sell the equipment. I was gonna buy a Fantom X (6, 7 OR 8) and I ran across two people selling fantoms. The first guy was in Citrus Heights, we agreed to $50 his asking price, and the only thing I asked for was to meet halfway at a public place. I had cash on hand and offered to pick it up that night, but he said he wanted to sell it next week. WTF? The other guy, I didn't even try to negotiate, he was in Sunnyvale, and again all I asked is to meet me somewhere in the middle. Guess what this fool said? I'll sell it on sunday morning, but it was already sunday night. So we agreed to do the transaction on monday at 7 pm and guess what happens shortly before I'm to leave the house? I get an email, not a call, with this fool saying meeting at the meet up spot was too far.

I can see buyers being flakey but sellers? LMAO! Anyway, both those fools ended up putting the boards back on CL, and I laughed at them and sent them emails mocking them afterwards.

But I'm glad it did happen, cause I got a great deal on some shit by those fools actin funny.

Back to the topic.

Upgrade your mic (s). Upgrade your pre amp. Upgrade your interface. What you want to do is try several mics out, but try to spread your money so you have a selection of things. Also, those liquid channels are cool. I've heard them before, and while some of the replicas may not be very close, some of them are spot on. But if you don't know what you're listening to/for anyway, it doesn't matter.