Metallica - Best album?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 15, 2002
Master of Puppets is the best IMO, I'd start with that. I'd rank them...

Master of Puppets
Ride the Lightning
Kill Em All
...And Justice for All

I'm kind of indifferent to everything else, although St. Anger is actually one of the worst albums I've ever heard in my life, and I'm not exaggerating.

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
Kill 'Em All & Master of Puppets are tied for my favorite.

I like everything up till and including The Black Album. After that all their stuff is crap in my opinion. I haven't heard the new one yet.

Dec 25, 2003
Black Album - best, most accessible, best number of good songs

KEA and MOP are the 'musician's choice albums, but they're more for people 'into' metal

For the average, non-headbanging person I'd say the Black Album

Anyone who says otherwise is going the artsy insider route

Jake

Sicc OG
May 1, 2003
ride the lightning

has 2 of the best rock songs ever made on it

for whom the bell tolls
fade to black

Dec 18, 2002
Black Album - best, most accessible, best number of good songs

KEA and MOP are the 'musician's choice albums, but they're more for people 'into' metal

For the average, non-headbanging person I'd say the Black Album

Anyone who says otherwise is going the artsy insider route
Correct...but I would say that Master of Puppets is also very accessible. I don't listen to metal but my brother got me into MOP pretty easily.

Dec 26, 2004
I say the 1st 3 albums cause thats how their style was, thrash metal.
But if your jus now gettin Nto them, Im sure you would definitely like the 'Black Album'. Im sure they still makin money off that alone.

I got the 1st 4 on record. 15 yrs ago I bought 'Kill em All' for $35 N 'Ride the Lightning' for $30. 'Master of Puppets' N 'And Justice for All' I bought for like $8.

Mar 18, 2003
I'm going to say Black as well. Like WHITE DEVIL said, it has the greatest number of good songs on it compared to the rest of their CD's. On top of that it was new when I was old enough to appreciate music which has a significant impact on my decision. Next I would say Master Of Puppets.

That being said, some of my favorite Metallica songs are not on either of those albums. Fade to Black and One are two of their best songs, but IMO those albums have only a couple of good tracks on them.

Apr 25, 2002
I hate And Justice.....because the fuckin' mix is HORRIBLE. The guitars and drums are too fucking loud and there is pretty much no bass guitar to speak of.

Oct 5, 2008
"the black album" is their most commercially succesfull album but any fan will tell you "Kill em all" "...And justice for all" "master of puppets" and "ride the lightning' are their best work.