MENTOR

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 28, 2006
I been a long time trying to make something happen with some musik and almost got real serious a couple years ago until i got faced with some charges and spent alot of time and money fighting it but thats besides the point .. what i'm getting at is i'm way behind on doing anything with making an album.. i need something like a mentor you know to lace my boots since i dont know anyone in the area doing the musik thing.. i know foolz ask all the time how to start and thizz and that but instead of looking thread to thread for info i just wanna find someone with credentials in the game to help put me on a correct level where i can make shit happen..what ya'll think?

Apr 7, 2006
If you have a junior college in the area that teaches a digitial recording class, that can be a good start... It'll get you up to speed on the universal language of Pro Tools and potentially offer you some good networking possibilities....

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
I think you have an idea in mind, that if your truly serious about, you could pursue easily.

If your looking to gain a high dosage of knowledge and really invest the time and effort it takes to learning the process of how the industry works, what knowing yourself and how being experienced in what you do know can make you a valuable player, and most importantly who you know.

A place to start would be to find a solid and credible local Producer/Engineer and basically offer to work for him/her for free, just to be in that environment, and soak up game, even if it's only 2 hours a week, on the weekend, if you contact and reach out to these people, on a local approach, and be professional, they will reach back, and this will immediately give you a network or a database of people who you know, with similar interests and goals, that you can start, and build upon the more you network, and reach out respectively.

Basically Market yourself, in a smart way, and create your own mentoring program by being professional and educated.

So that's only one idea, from there you could pretty much go in any direction you choose, whether it be just a recording artist, or a composer and songwriter, or a producer, engineer, or all of the above. What's important is knowing exactly what you want to do, what you have a passion for, but knowing also that your there to learn and if that means incorporating all of the above eventually, and becoming a Maverick in the game, that should be your ultimate goal.

Researching for the right person online isn't the best idea, first of all, who has time? Time is money, even if you were willing to pay someone online to mentor you, is that even a good idea to begin with? What are there credentials if any? How much would it cost? I could go on for days, you end up getting scammed, or fucked either way.

But, you can go on You Tube and find hundreds of channels that have ideal mentoring figures with inside footage of day to day business along with video tutorials, information on hardware, technology.

There is no lazy or easy way regardless, it just depends on how motivated you are and passionate are, to be willing to get out there and achieve whatever it is you want to do in the industry, or become.

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
..what ya'll think?
Pursue another career. You aint got what it takes. If your not willing to do what it takes, and need someone to hold your hand, with out putting the littlest effort it takes to find some information on your own...keep it movin. Making an album is the easiest part, and might become a thing of the past at least in the form of a C.D.

Feb 28, 2006
ya ya well i'm a work at mine.. we ain't got no studios no professionals no artists no nothing out here no joke either.. but when i put my mind to it i can go far so i'm a get up get out and get mine..regardless.. but learning game from someone with a foot up wouldn't hurt or having a partner to learn with but that shit ain't happening .. but still good lookin out folkz..

Apr 25, 2002
www.idealsentertainment.com
ya ya well i'm a work at mine.. we ain't got no studios no professionals no artists no nothing out here no joke either.. but when i put my mind to it i can go far so i'm a get up get out and get mine..regardless.. but learning game from someone with a foot up wouldn't hurt or having a partner to learn with but that shit ain't happening .. but still good lookin out folkz..
Where you from, fam?

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
It aint hate.
You come from a place where...well the rest of the world doesn't realize there is a rap scene...is there?
Aint no major labels set up in your back yard like L.A. NY or Atlanta...So why is me sayin its a strike where you from hate... Its reality you have to go where you will be heard nowadays...
So you have 1 strike from that, and another strike for being lazy needing someone to teach ya every step of the way, with out doing the research yourself.
Ive messed with a gang of rappers/ producers..been to a few big studios chopped it up with big artists, managers for platinum artists etc, and alot of this was outside this rap shit when I wasnt even trippn off no rap.
From what i understand is music and talent is secondary to the hustle, ambition, drive determination it takes to get noticed...so if you askin someone to do all your homework for you that shows you lack the ambition, drive, determination and hustle it takes...so I stand by that as a strike.....so thats two strikes
post up some music...let's get that third strike out the way G.

Feb 28, 2006
Na fuck it homeboy this ain't cali where a motha fucka can just hit school or there's a nearby studio i can go offer my time to learn and shit .. nobody'z born with a source or any of that you gotta get out and look for it which is why i came here where a more experienced person could come out and shoot game like homeboy did about a class that i should look into.. this is doing my homework and research everybody needs advice from somewhere i didnt get on and say who wants to make my album?? i asked for some sort of guidance. I just asked for a where to start from some more experienced brainz sharing knowledge and shit. i could probably be somewhere far if my area had music interested G'z but right here I gotta hold down the block first and music second but fuck it cuz i'm still tryin homie to do somethin i wanna do and like to do.. I'm just sayin bro don't come at me sideways without knowin my point of view

WayCide-Ridah

Evergreen Hustlah
Sep 13, 2005
Tha Eva Green
if u from artesia, your ass needs to be in burque. atleast up there u can network more with some local artists, hit up a studio and shit like that. Get some recording equipment, brush up on your skills, buy some beats if u don't make them yourself and find a recording studio to record a real album after some practice...I know alot of local cats who wanna rap or tell me they rap and I'm supposed to be like really??? let's hear it, then they say they've had some concerts and when I hit one up I'm underwhelmed...it ain't polished and the only people feeling them would be there crew and their gf's...I was one of them at one point who thought I was the shit cuz a few of my homeboy's like my songs...then a 3rd point of view came in and broke it down, I wasn't as good as my boys said I was and I needed a shit load of work....be willing....be ready.....and have a strong heart and mind cuz not everybody gonna like ya' shit.

Feb 28, 2006
good words waycide.. ya homie like i said i realize i'm rock bottom in this but good advice though homie once i familiar myself with this shit and i can talk more to fools without completely makin a fool of my self i'll hit up burque and el paso and spots like that and work on networking and doing bigger and bigger things ya know but for now i'm a concentrate on crawling before i jump up and take off ya know concentrate on the work part of it.. but i like the advice homie and appreciate that shit for real

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
Krazy, if you don't have the connections in your area right now, or the commute to travel and make connections outside your local region, work on other aspects.

Educate yourself bro!

Use You Tube, there are thousands of videos on there of people you may want to connect with, and they have material out there available for you to watch and gain insight on certain aspects of the business. There are many blogs out there for music groups, with insight into the industry as well.

Research. Soak. Apply. Grow.

Start from wherever you can, we all started from the bottom, what you need is something that will separate you from the others.