McGregor vs Mayweather 8/26/17

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 10, 2006
i didnt realize the fight is in a few weeks. they got until the 16th or some shit to drop the gloves to 8 oz. TMT talkin bout gettin Nate Diaz to walk out with them.
NSAC already said they wont allow it. The truth is people are losing interest in the fight so they need to continue to promote because they do actually expect it to break the Floyd Manny record but it probably wont.

Apr 25, 2002
NSAC said they can both come in to make their case by a certain date. who knows with Floyds expertise and power and McGregor always fighting in 4 oz. but of course its promotion. them dudes are the best in the businesses.

Apr 25, 2002
Mayweather vs McGregor: Beating UFC rival Nate Diaz was key to Conor McGregor's boxing licence
Mayweather vs McGregor: Beating UFC rival Nate Diaz was key to Conor McGregor's boxing licence

By James Dielhenn
UK, Friday 11 August 2017

Conor McGregor’s UFC victory against Nate Diaz was a key reason to license him as a boxer, the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) confirmed.

McGregor needed licensing to make his boxing debut against Floyd Mayweather on August 26, and the NSAC approved him on the basis of avenging his defeat to Diaz.

"I reviewed UFC 202 which was a perfect indicator of Conor's boxing abilities," NSAC chief Bob Bennett exclusively told Sky Sports.

"Then I gave renowned trainer Virgil Hunter a call. I said: 'I heard Diaz was a sparring partner for Andre Ward?'

"Virgil confirmed that Diaz has sparred with Ward at least 12 times. As we know, Ward was a world super-middleweight champion and now a light-heavyweight champion.

"Diaz had also sparred a dozen times with Brandon Gonzales, a super-middleweight with a record of 18-1-1. He also sparred a dozen times with Andrzej Fonfara, a light-heavyweight with a record of 29-5.

"Virgil believes that Diaz could have been a world class boxer if he hadn't become an MMA fighter. Virgil holds Diaz's boxing ability in high regard.

"But then look at UFC 202 when McGregor fought Diaz, predominantly striking. McGregor knocked down Diaz in the first and second rounds. McGregor took some hellacious shots to his jaw from Diaz, and they didn't move him. McGregor fired a number of shots that hurt Diaz.

"Watching McGregor in that fight did contribute to me finding [the Mayweather fight] approvable."

McGregor, then the UFC's featherweight (145lbs) champion, was initially submitted by short-notice replacement Diaz in March 2016 before winning their rematch by unanimous decision five months later. Both fights were contested at 170lbs.

Watching footage of the rematch was the final vindication to license McGregor for the NSAC, who had already been researching his credentials.

"I met with McGregor's manager on three occasions and viewed video that he provided from McGregor's sparring sessions in Ireland," Bennett said.

"I did my own research in addition to watching him spar. This is an approvable bout - he's the taller, longer, stronger, younger fighter. He has a 21-3 record in MMA with 18 TKO or KO wins."

The NSAC are currently considering requests from Mayweather and McGregor to use 8oz gloves instead of the regulation-sized 10oz. The UFC champion has also requested the use of one international judge.

Jan 29, 2005
PHX
lol Paulie flat out lied saying he got shoved to the mat. Conor's camp released the footage. It wasn't a huge dramatic knock down by any means, but Conor slipped everything Paulie threw then hit him with a left and a right uppercut while Paulie was off balance. Definitely a legit knockdown. Definitely not the type of knockdown to brag about by any means, but it's funny that Paulie lied about it lol

Sep 3, 2002
i could see that being scored a knockdown. There was some shove/trip in there as well.

Paulie is the weakest puncher to make it as far as he did in boxing and Paulie is out of shape, retired, and overall not prepared to spar 12 rounds. He was probably the safest choice in a sparring partner one could find.

HOWEVER ------

In that clip Conor McGregor is legitimately shitting on everyone (Paulie included) who acted like he would be just destroyed by amateur boxers/child boxers/female boxers etc. and had no business sharing the ring with the lowest tier of fighter in boxing. There's no denying this. Even if this is just a small moment in the spar, its still a moment that he was not supposed to have according to most.

That being said---This is NO Indicator of how McGregor will do against Mayweather.

or even this guy for that matter...

And like most people say "it's just sparring"...

Apr 25, 2002
most McGregor fans dont know shit about mma. they'll be the heartbroken ones. mma fans already know a loss is most likely.

i can see Mayweather stopping McGregor but i see that due to McGregor's conditioning, not Mayweathers power. McGregor's better off switching stances (not just southpaw/orthodox) every round so Mayweather can't get a hold of it. Mayweather likes to throw a body jab he gonna have to reach extra if McGregor uses his typical stance. i can see McGregor catching Mayweather off that. if McGregor loses a decision then that looks pretty good on McGregor.

Apr 26, 2002
Realistically how much does this help Conor's chances?
Only advantage for Conor, it would limit Floyds defense. He wouldn't be able to blocc punches as good cuz more surface area is exposed on your face with smaller gloves- while bloccing.

Disadvantage would be, floyds wearing smaller gloves too, lol. More speed.

Last edited: