Mastodon- The Hunter

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
Release Date: 9/27

1. Black Tongue 3:27
2. Curl Of The Burl 3:40
3. Blasteroid 2:35
4. Stargasm 4:39
5. Octopus Has No Friends 3:48
6. All The Heavy Lifting 4:31
7. The Hunter 5:17
8. Dry Bone Valley 3:59
9. Thickening 4:30
10. Creature Lives 4:41
11. Spectrelight 3:09
12. Bedazzled Fingernails 3:08
13. The Sparrow 5:30

Download (VBR Scene)
Mirror

Buy

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
I'm gonna listen at work in a couple hours. All the songs I've heard were a lot heavier than the Crack the Skye stuff. Sounds like they went back to all harsh vox

Apr 25, 2002
Thanks for posting this. Been Hella anticipating this one. Crack the Skye was the shit. Anyone have a link to the deluxe version?

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
I'll do a quick review in between eating pizza and playing spades at work.

1. Black Tongue- Heard it a bunch but not on good speakers. Good song.
2. Curl of the Burl- Main riff is sick.
3. Blasteroid- This is so fucking rad. It's like something off Songs for the Deaf but on acid. Listened to this 3 times before going on to the next song.
4. Stargasm- Brann's drumming is super badass. Has the spacey vibe Crack the Skye had to it. Awesome clean Brent vocals.
5. Octopus Has No Friends- I pictured an octopus playing every instrument at the beginning of the song and it made me crack up. They brought back robot vocals, along with clean Trent vocals. Main riff's awesome but weakest song so far.
6. All the Heavy Lifting- I want to see vids of Brann's drumming on all these. Sounds like their older stoner metal stuff. Double bass pedal towards the end, fuck yeah.
7. The Hunter- Sounds like the "Don't sayyyy stay awayyyy" part of a song on Crack the Skye whose name I can't remember. You guys will know what I'm talking about. Some crazy ass shredding.
8. Dry Bone Valley- Whoa. Crazier shredding on this one towards the end. Not sure what kind of effect that is but I like it. Another one that's making me think of something off CTSkye.
9. Thickening- Nothing really stood out the past 4 songs but this one's better. Has a little bit of everything you'd expect from them.
10. Creature Lives- Oh man it's the return of weird random shit Mastodon. Can't really say I missed it. ...the fuck is this? Is this still Mastodon or did I accidently put a 30 Seconds to Mars cover of Black Sabbath on?
11. Spectrelight- More classic sounding Mastodon. Getting slightly disappointed.
12. Bedazzled Fingernails- Was hoping this would be crazy from the title but same ol' shit.
13. The Sparrow- Starts out sounding like some CTSkye shit, with an organ. Better than most of the songs have been. Still sounds like CTSkye stuff. Little acapella thing to end the album.

Loved it to start then it got pretty repetitive. 6/10

Apr 25, 2002
After one listen I feel about the same B-buzz. Hopefully it gets better after soaking it a few times, but I was disappointed after listening once.

Apr 25, 2002
Listened to it a lot @ work today. Pretty solid album but I miss the long epic mind blowing songs that were on CTS. Stargasm and The Hunter are getting a lot of play right now.