Mars Volta-Frances the Mute

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 20, 2004
I remembered when i first got my hands on Mars Volta's first album...a buddy of mine said it was dope and different...i never listened to it...one night i went to this bar and this illuminating song was belting from the jukebox...i was in a trance...i went over to see who and what it was..wouldnt you know it?MARS FUCKIN VOLTA!!!!I went home...slapped that bastard in...and played it non-stop for a WEEK...and now ive lost it...so i need to buy BOTH albums when i find em....

M-1

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
i finally started listenin to this album this week, and it's amazinG. As of riGht now, I think De-Loused is a little better. I aGree on this one they seem more focused, but I think I appreciated the chaos, it seemed fittinG. On a side note, can somebody school me on Interpol? What kind of sound do they have?

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
M-1 said:
i finally started listenin to this album this week, and it's amazinG. As of riGht now, I think De-Loused is a little better. I aGree on this one they seem more focused, but I think I appreciated the chaos, it seemed fittinG. On a side note, can somebody school me on Interpol? What kind of sound do they have?
Id say theyre kind of like a new wave, prog rock british sound. Ill let Nuttkase take this one...

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
B-Buzz said:
Id say theyre kind of like a new wave, prog rock british sound. Ill let Nuttkase take this one...
For a second there I thought you were describing The Mars Volta sound LMFAO. I was like what the fuck. Than I re-read the question. LOL

It is kind of hard to categorize Interpols sound. They do have some moments where they sound prog. rock. They get alot of comparisons to Joy Divison which is a great band from the 1980's. I can see the similarities but Interpol does have their own sound. I am not good at describing how bands sound but Interpol for the most part are pretty mellow but not like Coldplay type mellow if that makes sense LOL. If you have heard and liked their song "Evil" that is getting good play on MTV2 then I would say you will like their albums.

Persoanlly I can listen to both their albums from front to back. I would pick up "Turn On the Bright Lights" first and then quickly go and buy "Antics" LOL.

Hope maybe that helped a little.

Nuttkace

I

INDIGO

ye ye ... just got tickets for their show out here.. i'll post how it was in a couple weeks :eek:

Psilo707

Complete O.G.
Jun 25, 2002
Gimcheon, South Korea
www.seoulhunter.com
I saw Interpol in concert at BFD2003, and god damn, the thing I remember most about them is the amount of cigarettes they smoked. Now i got a lot of friends that chain smoke, but these fools EACH went through a pack during their set, im positive... not one of them was on the stage without a cig in their mouths, hahaha

that was the first time i heard em, and there music is pretty good.

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
B-Buzz said:
^^ Im going to see Queens of the Stone Age, Interpol, and Hot Hot Heat on June 3rd. Its gonna be awesome
You lucky fucking bastard :angry:...I hate you...I really do...LOL.

Hot Hot Heat are pretty cool too. I think Interpol and Queens of the Stone Age are alot better though. That is a pretty diverse line up acctually now that I think about it.

Nuttkace

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
ya Ive only herd a couple songs from hot hot heat, I like the new single they got. Theres 2 shows on the 3rd and 4th to benefit a YMCA in chicago, on the 3rd its those 3 and on the 4th its Sum 41 (eww), Rise Against, Unwritten Law and someone else. I might go on the 4th to see Rise Against and then just check out the second stage the rest of the day. Should be dope

May 3, 2002
I know this post is more then a couple months old.. but i didnt know people from the siccness posted something about TMV.

I got Frances the Mute maybe a couple months after it dropped because ive seen a lotta people postin TMV in there sigs.. i was like who the fuck are these fools, in a kinda dissing way.. i mean im very opened minded with my music i listen to rap to metal to rock.. whatever.. so i'll be honest i downloaded the album.. Took a listen and couldnt believe how different sounding it was from anything ive ever heard.. i maybe listened to it twice and put it away, but after around the 3rd or 4th listen i was hooked, i couldnt stop playin it.. i just ended up wanting to play it always, and till this day i still do.

What do u guys think about the album/group now.. I think its just really refreshing to listen to this totally original album.. and to get away from all the stuff ur used to hearing.. i mean ive heard some people diss them about there live preformance, especial SOAD fans, because some just dont get The Mars Volta.. To tell u the truth i had only got half of it.. Later i wanted to find out more about them.. i visited a forum "The Comatorium Community" and wow did i find out a lot more.. and just how DEEP this band is.. I dont know if anyone else goes there, but the album they made is pure genious.. i found out that the album is a whole story, and each title of the track is a real person, which also are names in greek mythology.. i dont know its just so crazy how much thought was put into this album.. each line you hear might not mean much when u first listen but then you have to think about it and put everything together and it becomes a story.. each cover they put out has meanings to the story too.. This is one of my all time favorite albums.. its just so unique. anyone else really liking the album?

Nuttkase

not nolettuce
Jun 5, 2002
at the welfare mall
I am a huge SOAD fan (as you can tell by my sig) but I really like The Mars Volta alot. Their performance here in Seattle with SOAD was pretty good. They are more of a "jam" band live and I think they would be better in a smaller venue (not in Key Arena like they were.) They put on alot better show when I saw them play with A Perfect Circle IMO...even though they had a ton more fans at the show with SOAD.

I go to the Comatorium but I don't post.

De-Loused was written about a good friend of theirs (a artist from El Paso) that was in a coma for a month before he came out of it...and like a few weeks later he killed himself.

Frances was taken from a journal that Jeremy Michael Ward (RIP) found in his car when he was a cabby in El Paso.

Even though Cedric sings Omar does most of the writing.

Besides De-Loused and France they have a EP called Tremulant (their first album) and a live album that just came out called Scab Dates. Both are very good IMO.

Omar Rodriguez-Lopez has a album out called A Manual Dexterity: Soundtrack Volume 1 that is really good. It is all instrumental except for the last song that Cedric sings on.

Cedric and Omar were in a really really good group called At the Drive In before TMV. I own all their albums and they are all great. But be warned that they dont really sound anything like TMV (except they Vaya EP where a few songs sound like they could be TMV songs.)

I don't know if you knew any of that or not...but there you go. lol.

Nuttkace

May 3, 2002
yeah i pretty much found out all about that reading at the Comatorium ..

I agree that TMV isnt for the world.. it just wont work because people are not open to it..yet they complain about mainstream music all the time. I also think there better for smaller venues.. i have yet to see them live, but i have seen there preformance on some bootlegs, they do just do a lotta random stuff, but they build up the tension, then they play somethin u know and BAM, everyone's lovin it...

I think its kinda funny, this is such an (open-minded band).. Everyone either pretty much LOVES this band/album or they just dont get it and understand it.. so they HATE it. U know? its like theres people out there that listen to it and then theres people out there that LISTEN to it.. i kinda have to laugh at people complaining about the "wasted space" in between the vocals.. I actually love how they did that, because they are still telling the story with it.. Most closed minded people are just like.. "What the fuck is this shit. there just fucking around.. start signing again!"

I got into Frances the Mute, before any other TMV album, i cant stop playin it.. i havent listen to anything else in a long time, it kinda pushed me away from Rap even. De-Loused, and Scab dates im just startin to get into.. cant wait for the next album.. but im not getting my hopes up for it to pass FTM..