Mandela calls Bush shortsided and arrogant...racist

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
by: Japan Mathebula, Associated Press
JOHANNESBURG, South Africa (Jan. 30) - Former President Nelson Mandela called President Bush arrogant and shortsighted and implied that he was racist for ignoring the United Nations in his zeal to attack Iraq.

In a speech Thursday, Mandela urged the people of the United States to join massive protests against Bush. Mandela called on world leaders, especially those with vetoes in the U.N. Security Council, to oppose him.

''One power with a president who has no foresight and cannot think properly, is now wanting to plunge the world into a holocaust,'' Mandela told the International Women's Forum.

Mandela also criticized Iraq for not cooperating fully with the weapons inspectors and said South Africa would support any action against Iraq that was supported by the United Nations.

White House spokesman Ari Fleischer responded to Mandela's criticism by pointing to a letter by eight European leaders reiterating their support of Bush.

''The president expresses his gratitude to the many leaders of Europe who obviously feel differently'' than Mandela, Fleischer said. ''He understands there are going to be people who are more comfortable doing nothing about a growing menace that could turn into a holocaust.''

A Nobel Peace Prize winner, Mandela has repeatedly condemned U.S. behavior toward Iraq in recent months and demanded Bush respect the authority of the United Nations. His comments Thursday, though, were far more critical and his attack on Bush far more personal than in the past.

''Why is the United States behaving so arrogantly?'' he asked. ''All that (Bush) wants is Iraqi oil,'' he said.

He accused Bush and British Prime Minister Tony Blair of undermining the United Nations and U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan, who is from Ghana.

''Is it because the secretary-general of the United Nations is now a black man? They never did that when secretary-generals were white,'' he said.

Mandela said the United Nations was the main reason there has been no World War III and it should make the decisions on how to deal with Iraq.

He said that the United States, which callously dropped atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, has no moral authority to police the world.

''If there is a country that has committed unspeakable atrocities in the world, it is the United States of America. They don't care for human beings,'' he said.

''Who are they now to pretend that they are the policemen of the world, the ones that should decide for the people of Iraq what should be done with their government and their leadership?'' he said.

He said Bush was ''trying to bring about carnage'' and appealed to the American people to vote him out of office and demonstrate against his policies.

He also condemned Blair for his strong support of the United States.

''He is the foreign minister of the United States. He is no longer prime minister of Britain,'' he said.

May 21, 2002
Sacramento, CA
Villain said:
''Why is the United States behaving so arrogantly?'' he asked. ''All that (Bush) wants is Iraqi oil,'' he said.

He said that the United States, which callously dropped atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, has no moral authority to police the world.

''If there is a country that has committed unspeakable atrocities in the world, it is the United States of America. They don't care for human beings,'' he said.

''Who are they now to pretend that they are the policemen of the world, the ones that should decide for the people of Iraq what should be done with their government and their leadership?'' he said.

He also condemned Blair for his strong support of the United States.

''He is the foreign minister of the United States. He is no longer prime minister of Britain,'' he said.
Eternal RACKS to Mandela.

May 8, 2002
nefar559 said:
what do u have against him?!/!
he just called my president and my country racist which in turn i take as he calling me racist. and i take that personally. i guess that is the thanks that we get for helping liberate him and his people and eliminate the apartide in South Africa.

Apr 25, 2002
Mcleanhatch said:

he just called my president and my country racist which in turn i take as he calling me racist.
Are you saying there is no racism in this country?!?!?!?!?!

The US is very racist, and so are a lot of politicians...republicans and democrats...

Being a minority...if you say you've never been discriminated against, you must be the luckiest person on the planet...

May 21, 2002
Sacramento, CA
Mcleanhatch said:
Thine calleth my King and mine country racist which in turn i dost taketh as thou calling thyself racist. and i taketh that personally.
Please 'hatch, I thought the days of blind loyalty to a force-fed monarchy were long gone. All you were missing at the end of that was a, "...so I challenge thee to a duel".

And rack Vil'. You comments were right on.

Apr 25, 2002
Mcleanhatch said:
i guess that is the thanks that we get for helping liberate him and his people and eliminate the apartide in South Africa.

Just a reminder about people in this administration and their relations with Mandela and South Africa.

Dick Cheney example:

"Nobody was for keeping Nelson Mandela in prison. Nobody was for supporting apartheid." - Dick Cheney

Yet, in 1985 voted against a House resolution urging the release of Nelson Mandela from 23 years of imprisonment because he considered Mandela a terrorist. He voted against sanctions against apartheid South Africa, in various forms, at least 10 times between 1983 and 1988.

May 8, 2002
Villain said:
Are you saying there is no racism in this country?!?!?!?!?!
no, there is racism in alote of places in america

Villain said:
The US is very racist, and so are a lot of politicians...republicans and democrats...
true ^^^^^ but that goes for both whites and blacks

Villain said:
Being a minority...if you say you've never been discriminated against, you must be the luckiest person on the planet...
probly very few minorities could say that and i am NOT one of them. but i aint going to get all mad and turn into a racist myself just because some1 did that to me. 2 wrongs dont make a right. i'll just shrug it off, pick myself up and keep moving forward.

to many people fall into the trap of breaking down and complaining about having been discriminated against and lose focus of their ultimate goal.

May 8, 2002
DeluzioN said:
Mandela for PRES!!!!! dude defines "pimp juice"....fuck Bush's jive talkin ass
ya and that is why his country went to shit and the A.I.D.S. percentage amoungst its citizent shot up to nearly 30%, almost as bad as the 6 fold in violent crimes increase under his presidency