Making Your Own Custom 808 Bass

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 9, 2005
www.kevwestbeats.com

The reason this is better than using 808 samples is because you have more flexibility with how you want the sounds to actually sound. If you want a ringing 808 you turn up the decay if u want a short punchy one you turn down the decay. You can make all kinds of drum sounds using synths but I thought I would start with the 808 kick as its been popular for years.

BASEDVATO

Judo Chop ur Spirit
May 8, 2002
absolutely NOTHING is better the the D16 TR-808 vst... its like having a real 808 at your hands:

this video shows off there vst, verse the modeled hardware, almost identical

Apr 26, 2006
Yeah D16 Drumazon is the real deal. :cool:

You should also check out the "Drumaxx" plugin. It's not a TR808 emulating plugin per se, but it sounds really dope. It uses physical modeling synthesis to achieve it's sound. It can actually sound quite real, a lot more organic sound rather than your typical synthy techno-ish sound.

Jun 9, 2005
www.kevwestbeats.com
An 808 is a synth I am surprised that you wouldn't get that "technoish" sound you are describing from another plug with a similar sound unless I am misunderstanding you booboo619. Either way that vid was cool but my point in making it was to hopefully save some people time and money or hard drive space for the guys who download their stuff from having to get access to or browse for a certain sound. Besides i like having custom sounds too and I feel the best way to get custom sounds is to start at the source.

Mar 17, 2006
An 808 is a synth I am surprised that you wouldn't get that "technoish" sound you are describing from another plug with a similar sound unless I am misunderstanding you booboo619. Either way that vid was cool but my point in making it was to hopefully save some people time and money or hard drive space for the guys who download their stuff from having to get access to or browse for a certain sound. Besides i like having custom sounds too and I feel the best way to get custom sounds is to start at the source.
of course, you can make "custom sounds" from 808 samples as well, especially when they are straight up dry, giving more flexibility in the sound tweaking.

I'm not missing your point though..

STRATEGY

Apr 26, 2006
Well you CAN get that "techno-ish" sound from that plugin. But it uses a totally different approach to achieving it's sound. It uses "physical modeling" synthesis. I haven't really heard a plugin that sounds like it. It's a lil different than your typical saw, square, & sine wave based oscillator synths. That plugin was made to sound a bit more natural. It basically models the characteristics of real drum sounds.

Here it is:

I suppose it's comparable to Reason's Kong Drum Designer. Haven't compared the two though. At least Drumaxx is a plugin though.