Looking for a synthetic keyboard...

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 10, 2005
...and I have a question: what to buy? I'm looking for any keyboard that can create quality SYNTHESIZERS for my hip-hop beats. I know the great models cost $2000+, but I'm looking a lot lower.. between $200-400; up to about 600, if it can be financed. Is it even possible? I won't entirely need to use the preset instruments - I'm looking for a keyboard with PC Mode so that I can LOAD MY OWN instruments from my computer onto the keyboard to play the melodies. Is that possible?

Can anybody lead me in the right direction?

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
...and I have a question: what to buy? I'm looking for any keyboard that can create quality SYNTHESIZERS for my hip-hop beats.
What do you mean by this?

I know the great models cost $2000+, but I'm looking a lot lower.. between $200-400; up to about 600
It depends on what you mean by "create quality SYNTHESIZERS". Are you talking about keyboards that are synthesizers (moog, juno,jp-8000, andromeda, access, nord), or are you talking about keyboards with synthesized sounds (meaning the board has artifically reproduced sounds that sound like other sounds; your average keyboard.)

I'm looking for a keyboard with PC Mode so that I can LOAD MY OWN instruments from my computer onto the keyboard to play the melodies. Is that possible?
I do not recall being familiar with the term "PC MODE" can you explain that a bit more? Do you mean an "open" system that allows you to import your own instruments/vsts to the keyboard for playback? Yes, they exist but not at your price range. You are going to pay at LEAST $3,000 for that type of workstation. Do you mean load your own instruments as in your own SAMPLES? If that is the case an ASR-10 or MPC will do the job. Do you mean load your own instruments as in the keyboard is capable of reading from 3.5 floppies (or a smart media card) and has the ability to playback midi 0 and midi 1? Yes, but the "instruments" you import will sound ENTIRELY DIFFERENT when loaded in the other board if GENERAL MIDI sounds were not used. If GM sounds were used they are still going to sound similar, but the QUALITY of the sounds playing back will be determined by the quality of the keyboards tone generator and gm patches.

If you can clarify what you are asking and what it is you want to do maybe more people can help you.

Apr 26, 2006
VSTi synths + Midi Controller is in your price range.

Unless you go with something like:

Alesis Micron
Korg MicroKORG
Roland SH-201

That Alesis Micron is probably the best choice. I believe a few guys from here have that Micron synth and like it. Though if your willing to pay a lil bit more, that Roland SH-201 seems bad ass for it's price (check out the video of it on it's website).

I personally like using "software" VST virtual analog style synths like:

FL Studio (Host/VST Plugin)

-Arturia MiniMoog V
-G-media Minimonsta
-Novation V-Station
-Novation Bass-Station
-reFX Vanguard
-Native Instruments Pro-53
-LinPlug Albino3
-Applied Acoustics Ultra Analog VA-1
-Sonic Charge MicroTonic
-Synth1 (Freeware)
-SuperWaveP8 (Freeware)
-MDA JX10 (Freeware)

Check out kvraudio.com if you decide to go the software route. I would say I probably use the MiniMoogV and the MiniMonsta the most, I love the sounds I can get out of it for basslines (some really PHAT stuff), leads and brassy sounding stuff, great for HipHop, RnB style. You can also achieve that classic gangster WestCoast hi-pitched lead sound with those. I also love using Synth1 since it's so easy and fun to mess around with, great sound as well. That MicroTonic is also lovely for synthesizing your bass kicks and other percussion style sounds, you can create some wicked 808 sounding kicks, zaps and what not. The rest of those synths in that list are all awesome as well IMO.

Jul 10, 2005
Okay, I've done some more research and bascially my original post was speaking nonsense. Let me try again:

I need a synthesizer keyboard to use the notes on it to create my "synth" melodies for my beats. However, I can use my computer for the drum patterns and such.. the keyboard needs to have good synth sounds (and maybe some basslines). Anyway, I did some looking and found this one..

Roland SH201 Synthesizer

I watched the demo videos and I like some of the sounds that came from the keyboard. Would this be what I am looking for to make synth melodies to use with the drum patterns on my computer?

Apr 12, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
Kaijin said:
Okay, I've done some more research and bascially my original post was speaking nonsense. Let me try again:

I need a synthesizer keyboard to use the notes on it to create my "synth" melodies for my beats. However, I can use my computer for the drum patterns and such.. the keyboard needs to have good synth sounds (and maybe some basslines). Anyway, I did some looking and found this one..

Roland SH201 Synthesizer

I watched the demo videos and I like some of the sounds that came from the keyboard. Would this be what I am looking for to make synth melodies to use with the drum patterns on my computer?
yes that would definatley work....also look into the new korg microkorgx..it has the 32mb sounds that the original triton had and 32mb new sounds....cant go wrong with that..

Apr 26, 2006
Just download FL Studio + some VSTi plugin synths like the ones I mentioned above in my last post + buy a midi keyboard controller and your set for making beats.