Little Brother... Will they ever get the respect they deserve?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 12, 2006
I'm serious... Little Brother has dropped 2 of the best albums in the past 5 years... Why don't people talk about them? I know I'm not the only one who likes them... Little Brother is the best thing to come out of the south since Outkast... Who else agrees?

Feb 8, 2003
They tight Mistreal show is classic. but far as the best thang since outkast i disagree. The problem is they just slept on heavily thats usually how it is the real artist are slepted on while the characters blow up

Mar 12, 2006
I just don't see the south coming out with anyone else that could even match Little Brother... Please people, don't say T.I... He ain't that tight and his albums don't compare to Little Brother...

Actually, Luda is from the south... Ludacris is tight... But I still don't know why Little Brother ain't getting air play besides on college radio and I'm sure everyone knows about why their videos aren't on tv... If you don't know, BET deemed that LB's video "Lovin' It" was just "too intelligent" for their audience...

Feb 8, 2003
its just one of those unanswered questions, i guess it just takes some people a long time to catch on. since you mentioned t.i. use him for example he didnt blow up until his third album

X-NINE

Chi-Illinois
Sep 16, 2006
CHICAGO
IM A FAN OF THEM, I THINK MOST PPL HATE ON EM CUZ THEY GOT AVERAGE LYRICS AND ARE BORING TO THEM, AND OVERRATED AND DONT SOUND ANYTHING SPECIAL

Palmer

RIP SouthernComfort
Apr 10, 2006
SEAHAWKS!!!
Crash '85 said:
...If you don't know, BET deemed that LB's video "Lovin' It" was just "too intelligent" for their audience...
Damn, that's funny. I have all Little Brother albums and like 90% of their tracks, "Lovin It" is probably the only track that I instantly loved, but BET doesn't like it.

I like it = BET doesn't like it - BET likes it = I don't like it(95% of the time)

Jake

Sicc OG
May 1, 2003
cause they have talent....

hey nutt...got that new justus league-soldiers of fortune,pretty cool little compilation. nothing too special though,was kinda dissapointed

Jan 28, 2006
i agree that they dont get the respect they desrve, minstrel show did 80,000 copies which is pretty good for underground, imo the cunninlyguists are better

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
They are tight but you are not going to make it with conscious lyrics over 9th Wonder beats today and that's entirely their fault - if you from the South and you really want your message to reach the people that need to hear it, deliver it over some hard 808 beats - if you don't, don't cry why you're not getting the anttention you deserve

PE and KRS-One had not only great lyrics but also great production back in the days, that's why they succeeded while other conscious rappers didn't

it's not that hard to understand, if you don't get it, then you're probably not such an inteligent rapper as you claim to be

Mar 12, 2006
ThaG said:
They are tight but you are not going to make it with conscious lyrics over 9th Wonder beats today and that's entirely their fault - if you from the South and you really want your message to reach the people that need to hear it, deliver it over some hard 808 beats - if you don't, don't cry why you're not getting the anttention you deserve
So you're blaming lack of respect and airplay is because of 9th wonders beats... You've got to be kidding me... Really, are you serious?

Jake

Sicc OG
May 1, 2003
Nuttkase said:
I didn't even know Justus League had a new comp. out. I'll have to check it out. Good looking out Jake.

http://www.undergroundhiphop.com/store/detail.asp?UPC=ABB1081CD

its cool if you are a big fan of the league,has everybody on there. just not too many songs that really stand out. the one with little brother and cormega is fuckin dope though.

please dont quote me on this...but even the joe sucka solo track is cool

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
Crash '85 said:
So you're blaming lack of respect and airplay is because of 9th wonders beats... You've got to be kidding me... Really, are you serious?

exactly, if you sound like a backpack group, do not expect to get respect in the hood

don't get me wrong, 9th Wonder beats are good but that's not what sells today;

of course it doesn't matter what sells and what doesn't if it's about quality music, but if it's abot sales and popularity it does; so either make some hits that will both appeal to the masses and to the hood and in the same time bring some message (which can be done) or don't complain about how underrated your music is

Jake

Sicc OG
May 1, 2003
Nuttkase said:
How is that C-Rayz Walz in your sig? Is it even out yet?
not out yet,comes out on halloween

could download it if i wanted just havent yet,going to wait till it drops.......maybe

Ry

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
  • Ry

Ry

I personally think Chitlin Circuit is thier best release so far. I thought Seperate But Equal was really tight as well. I think they appeal to true fans of hip hop because they have that old tribe/pete rock sound plus they are actually saying something lyrically. The whole JL camp is tight i pick up most of thier releases...

Mar 12, 2006
ThaG said:
exactly, if you sound like a backpack group, do not expect to get respect in the hood

of course it doesn't matter what sells and what doesn't if it's about quality music, but if it's abot sales and popularity it does; so either make some hits that will both appeal to the masses and to the hood and in the same time bring some message (which can be done) or don't complain about how underrated your music is
The whole reason I started this thread is because they have songs that have that radio friendly sound... "Not Enough", "Hiding Place", and "Lovin' It" all have that radio appeal to them... I think if most people just gave some of their songs a listen to, they would like them... I don't think they should change their sound at all... It wouldn't be Little Brother without 9th wonder...

Feb 8, 2003
ThaG said:

THATS BULLSHIT RIGHT there,Theres nothing wrong with 9th wonders production he produced for Jay-Z & Boot Camp Click and many more he ahs respect all in the East coast and thats as hood as it gets. I consider Lupe Fiasco back pack rap and he gets hood respect. Its just they havent dropped that right hit yet. All it takes is one hit song or affiliation then your on. If you actually think people buys albums today for quality then you trippin. The ladies buy a album for two reasons either if they physically attracted to the artist or if the artist have a track for them to dance too, they dont give a fuck about no lyrics. IMO the thing thats holding Little Brother back is the promotion Alantic Records didnt push them like they shouldve.