Lilly signs with CUBS

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Oct 20, 2003
ORLANDO, Fla. - The Cubs continued their off-season spending spree Wednesday, reaching preliminary agreement with free-agent left-hander Ted Lilly on a four-year, $40 million contract, FOXSports.com has learned.

Lilly, who turns 31 on Jan. 4, becomes the Cubs' first major pitching acquisition. The team has now signed seven free agents for a total of $272.5 million, spending $251 million alone on Lilly, third baseman Aramis Ramirez and outfielder Alfonso Soriano.
The Blue Jays badly wanted to retain Lilly, who went 15-13 last season with a 4.31 ERA. They are now battling with the Cubs over right-hander Gil Meche. Both teams entered Wednesday with the goal of signing both pitchers.

Lilly, 59-58 lifetime with a 4.60 ERA, will join a Cubs' rotation that already includes right-hander Carlos Zambrano and left-hander Rich Hill. The Cubs are not counting on right-hander Mark Prior, figuring that if healthy, he would be a bonus.

Oct 20, 2003
yea it's ridiculous. 2 years ago he would of warranted a 24 million contract and that would have been pricey back then....oh well, he's left handed and struck out twice as many batters as he walked last year. as long as he keeps us in the game and reaches near 200 innings he'll help us out big time and with the Cubs offense we should score plenty of runs for him......my take, yet another great signing for Hendry. hopefully he's feeling better.

CUBS IN 2007

Oct 20, 2003
MrFedEx503 said:
YEEE, hope he can be a little better then a .500 pitcher
yea no shit, he'll start out as the number 2 starter but as the season goes on i have a feeling he'll fall to 4 or 5, only because i think Prior will surprise everyone and come back healthy and ready to pitch and the same can be said for Wade Miller. If Rich Hill continues where he left off he'll move up to 2 or 3, so with Lilly down in the 4 or 5 slot he'll be facing other #4 & 5's and that will be to his advantage and give him more victories than he'd normally have......my prediction anyway

Projected Cubs Rotation (opening day)
1)Zambrano
2)Lilly
3)Marquis
4)Hill
5)Prior/Miller/Marshall/Marmol/Guzman

Projected Cubs Rotation (mid-season)
1)Zambrano
2)Hill
3)Prior
4)Lilly
5)Marquis/Miller

also i heard the cubs were making a hard push for Suppan....now that would be a great deal

Oct 20, 2003
^i agree and i hope it happens in a cubs uniform as there is speculation Marshall will be sent to washington for Ryan Church, i hope it's not true cause i was really impressed with his stuff and his poise oh and he's a lefty