Lil Wayne accused of breaking NYC jail music rules

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 11, 2002

FILE - In this Jan. 30, 2009 file photo, Rapper Lil Wayne arrives on the red carpet for the ESPN Next Big Weekend Super Bowl XLIII party in Tampa, Fla. An official says Lil Wayne's efforts to keep up the beat behind bars have gotten him in trouble in a New York City jail. A city Correction Department spokesman says the rap star faces potential discipline after jail officers found a charger and headphones for a digital music player in his cell on Monday, May 10, 2010. The rapper is serving a yearlong sentence after pleading guilty to a 2007 gun charge. (AP Photo/Steve Nesius, File)

Lil Wayne accused of breaking NYC jail music rules
By JENNIFER PELTZ Associated Press Writer The Associated Press
Thursday, May 13, 2010 8:44 PM EDT

NEW YORK (AP) — Lil Wayne's efforts to keep up the beat behind bars have gotten him in trouble in jail, an official said Thursday.

The Grammy Award-winning rapper faces potential discipline after jail officers found a charger and headphones for a digital music player stashed in a potato chip bag in his cell Monday, city Correction Department spokesman Stephen Morello said. Lil Wayne is serving a yearlong sentence after pleading guilty to a gun charge.

The items are considered contraband, as inmates can listen to music only on radios and headphones sold at the jail commissary. Lil Wayne's lawyer, Stacey Richman, had no immediate comment Thursday.

Officers said the music player itself turned up in another inmate's nearby cell. Both men were charged with infractions that aren't crimes and will be subject to a jail disciplinary process, not a court. Punishments can include being segregated from other inmates.

Lil Wayne began serving his term in March in the city's Rikers Island jail complex. He pleaded guilty in October to attempted criminal possession of a weapon, admitting he had a loaded semiautomatic gun on his bus in 2007.

The 27-year-old rapper hasn't had any previous disciplinary problems in jail, where he works as an "inmate observation aide," Morello said. The job entails engaging with other inmates deemed at risk of suicide.

Born Dwayne Carter, Lil Wayne had the best-selling album of 2008 with "Tha Carter III," which won a best rap album Grammy.

As he faced incarceration with his career in high gear, he pledged to keep music on his mind while doing time.

"I'll have an iPod, and I'll make sure they keep sending me beats," he told Rolling Stone for a February story. "I'll be still rapping in there, have a gang of raps ready when I come home."

With good behavior, he could be released as early as November.

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Sep 16, 2008
Fuck this shit,I'm sick of hearing wayne jail news. BREAKING NEWS: LIL WAYNE SEEN EATING CHIPS LIVE FROM PRISON. fuck lil wayne

Dec 12, 2008
Roseville , Ca.
hope he gets more time, im sick of his music.
He should have got more time but why hate on the guy . ? He's rich as fuck , trying to do his time no different than X-Raided only X-Raided did a crime he's gotta do a little longer for . But he will be out in our lifetime . Good/Old Im buying that first CD he drops when he lands back in S. South !!!!!!!!!

Jul 25, 2007
He should have got more time but why hate on the guy . ? He's rich as fuck , trying to do his time no different than X-Raided only X-Raided did a crime he's gotta do a little longer for . But he will be out in our lifetime . Good/Old Im buying that first CD he drops when he lands back in S. South !!!!!!!!!
because us real hip hop fans are tired of his bullshit songs he makes that are considered the "the hottest" tracks on the street and he being labeled as one of the greatest MCs of all time. He'll continue to make bullshit mainstream songs and we will be forced to listen to it. Playing it 24/7 either by radio, TV commercials or during NBA, NFL, MLB pregame shows and during time outs while im trying to enjoy the game.

Jul 7, 2009
X-Raided and Wayne aren't even on the same planet - musically or in terms of "G-Shit"

X-Raided
- Real cat. Belongs to real set. Earned stripes. Walks it like he talks it.
- Respected for his music and his rep.
- Good music. Way better than Weezy.
- Took down and fucked three fools who were armed with shanks.
- Shown himself as someone not to be fucked with.

Lil Wayne

- Funnystyle. Paid real Gs not to kick his ass for making a fashion statement out of something many real Gs have either died, or are doing lifetime bids for.
- Got punked by 40 Glocc
- Music for 90s babies who want to feel less homo than they actually are, and hoodrats rocking multicolored weaves (who incidentally, tend to be the mothers of these 90s babies)
- Paid mucho $$$$ to important niggas in Gen Pop to make he doesn't get seriously fucked up. You can't tell me booty bandits doing triple life, weren't having fantasies about Weezy as soon as they heard he was showing up.
- Kissed a grown man on the lips