LEASED BEATS

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 12, 2002
www.myspace.com
It really don't sit right with me. A thousand people can rock the same beat. And take a percent of publishing from everyone who's used it. What if an artist leased a verse to a thousand people for a percentage of their publishing? Find the same 16 bars on a thousand projects? With hella stipulations on views, videos, public performances and mechanical publishing. Is that no different? Recycling is recycling period. Maybe I'm old school so I don't feel that. I pay for a beat and we're done. Fuck I've never leased anything. Shit I'm in a 2016 Lex and never had a car payment. Explain to me why I should lease your beat?

SF TRAXX

Composer / Producer
What if an artist leased a verse to a thousand people for a percentage of their publishing?...
He could possibly make bank doing it if he did it right.
(Small upfront payment / back-end royalty agreement)

Since the same rules would apply, he'd probably catch the same heat that some of these producers catch (eg: devaluing the game, selling his "soul" for $20 etc...) BUT at the end of the day it wouldn't matter.

All that would matter is the $$$ in his pocket.

Think about it. Hella people (artists and Producers) would pay for the rights to use a [insert hot rapper name here] verse if it was $20 a verse and probably wouldn't give 2 sh*ts how many other people have used it lol.

I know I probably would buy a verse or 2 (I buy licenses for hooks n sh*t all the time ~ in my eyes its the same as paying a session musician to play music for you / source material).

I personally wouldn't care if its been used by others.

To me, all that would matter is what I did with it ~ This is the mindset that cats have when they lease beats.

At the end of the day the fans of the music don't care what went into their favorite song.

All they know is that they like it. :eek:k:

My $.02

Last edited:
May 12, 2002
www.myspace.com
I think the consumer would be disappointed because they have been over recycled verses in the past. The bigger the artist and producer the bigger the recycle. I'd expect original material for my money. This industry biting styles and sharing beats is why everything is watered down. I'm glad I came up in an era when that shit was frowned upon. The independent game taught us to protect our publishing. I know it's a new game but that was good game. It wasn't designed to let everyone in. You couldn't just jump into the game for a hundred dollars in leased beats and upload to iTunes. You had to put in work and create a buzz for yourself before a physical distributor like Walt at City Hall would see you. It is what it is. Rappers are only rapping to stay relevant and brand merchandise nowadays anyway. Them half a cent views seem more important than sales. I'm learning but I'm glad I left to get my career straight. I'm only back because I love this shit so I'll conform lightweight. But I'ma keep it original.