Leaks: Cost-Benefit Analysis

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 22, 2006
I was trippin off how The Team has had like 7 or 8 of their songs leaked from World premiere while San Quinn's Rock had virtually no leaks whatsoever.....with that in mind, I pose the question to the Bart board of what you think the pros and cons are of leaks.....IMO to borrow from a Political Science term; "Strategic Leaks" can actually help an artist sell more records....of course this is also context dependent......enough of my opinion though.....lets hear some feedback......Peace, Jordan aka J-Jonah

Do it

Sicc OG
Mar 11, 2005
Good question, something else than the average "Yadida, could someone upload some slap?!"-thread.

I believe leaks might be a good "marketing-tool", BUT only if it`s used carefully.

Feb 8, 2006
Leaks are good, but there has to be a limit on how much you give away. Leaking 7 or 8 songs seems like a lot to me. I think about 4 or 5 songs is more like it. Give your audience the single and 3 other tracks to see what a good follow up might be. On most albums, artists release about 3 songs as singles. If you have a hot single and a popular follow-up, you can be flexible with the third song you release. And of course, when the album drops the streets and DJ's will bump other songs they like. In the end, an unexpected track may catch a buzz.