Kansas Citys' Rap Scene Question

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 24, 2002
why isnt their some unity with folks in kc? with most of the artists they keep to their own group of folks they colab with and rarely venture out to say have rich, tech S &S, lejo, trajik n shit. seems like tech has a few kc folks he deals with other than strange music and rich got his too lol

Jul 7, 2002
The rap scene here is VERY much like a big high school...every rapper has his group of friends and they rarely move outside of that group. And as a bigger division there seem to be 2 distinct categories...those who "fuck with" Tech and those who don't.

Jul 7, 2002
It is a given that Tech is the most powerful in sales number overall.

As for the groups you find most of the more artistic and juggalo type rappers side with Tech and most of the street cats side with the more "street" characters. This isn't true to everyone, but is pretty much the rule it seems.

May 2, 2002
The rap scene here is VERY much like a big high school...every rapper has his group of friends and they rarely move outside of that group.
That, and location (i.e gang affiliation). I think a lot of it has to do with egos. Muthafuckaz thnk they're too good to work with anotha muthafucka. There's money to be made in the rap game. I applaud cats like Van Brunt Ent. for puttin' together that RED RAGS AND BLUE FLAGS CD. That was a good move on their part.

Rappers need to get this money while its out here to get, The rap game is bigger than anyone's hood, set, block or turf. GET MONEY.

May 2, 2002
just seems like most folks in kc kinda despise tech and the strange crew cause compared to them they are huge
There's a lot more to KC than just Tech N9ne and Strange Music though. Granted, they're a large part of it, but there are a lot of talented rappers out here. IMO, rappers in the town shouldn't try to duplicate Tech N9ne and Strange Music's success. Rather, they should look at what labels like Strange and Major Factor have done to get them where they are and use that as a blueprint to get them where they want to be. Not so much "emulate" or "immitate" them, but use them as an example of what they should do.

Otherwise, KC will continue to be in a box. We have Underground Heat. Why not take advantage of that opportunity. There's also The Wire (90.1 FM). Obviously, those aren't a lot of choices, but considering the situation and or circumstances, do rappers in the town really have the option of being choosey? Why not use what we have as opposed to complainin' about what we don't have?

Oct 2, 2006
The city is separated because thats how it always has been. Major Factor and Strange are actively available to network with the common street rappers either. If they haven't heard of you chances are they aren't going to do a verse for your album unless you are willing to pay high costs. There is no discount for living in the same city as the artists.

Oct 25, 2006
Weird thing is, the only KC artists I've ever actually heard are cool as fuck and don't seem to be on any hater type shit. And I'm always trying to expand my music horizons. There must be a reason these self-centered, hater types that everyone speaks of from KC are unheard of.

Oct 25, 2006
Well no city is really "unified", but every city that isn't, most likely has already blown up or doesn't really have much to offer at the moment. KC seems to have a lot more to offer, which makes the whole lack of unification and amount of hate around the city a situation.

May 20, 2006
I am somewhat out f the loop with the KC rap scene besides the artist I've heard Tech collab with. Could anybody give me perhaps 3 I should check out?
Big Ben

Tay Diggs

Kwik Cash (Swisha Mane & Dosia)

Paul Mussan

WesCrook

D-Locc da Chop

Ron-Ron

Rico Ricardo (Camp 400)

.....I got plenty more 4 ya:cool: