Josh Howard admits to smoking marijuana in offseason

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 24, 2006
www.fucku.com
Cuban: Mavs will deal with Howard's admission of drug use internally
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

Dallas Mavericks forward Josh Howard brought unexpected and possibly unprecedented attention to himself Friday, just hours before Game 3 of the Mavericks' first-round series with New Orleans, by openly discussing his offseason marijuana use on Dallas' ESPN Radio affiliate.

Expounding on comments about marijuana that he made over the weekend to The Dallas Morning News, Howard joined "The Michael Irvin Show" on ESPN Radio 103.3 FM on Friday afternoon and told the Hall of Fame wide receiver that he "probably" would not smoke marijuana in-season even if the league did not have a random testing program. But Howard also described "smoking weed in the offseason sometimes" as his "personal choice and personal opinion."

"I don't think that's stopping me from doing my job," Howard told Irvin.

The 28-year-old from Wake Forest, selected by NBA commissioner David Stern to fill a roster spot created by injury on the Western Conference All-Star team in 2007, added, "I think that everybody in the media world and in the sports world knows that NBA players do smoke marijuana."

It was not immediately clear what sort of punishment Howard could face for his candor, either from the league office or his team. But one source close to the situation told ESPN.com that the league likely "can't" suspend Howard for simply talking about marijuana usage.

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban said before Friday's game against the Hornets that any punishment from the club will be meted out "internally."

"We won't make it public," Cuban said. "But we'll deal it.

"We'll do what we need to do and deal with it internally and then that's it."

Howard told reporters before tipoff that he would not discuss the matter further until after the game but insisted that "it hasn't been a distraction," thanks in part to the support of teammates. He was then cheered supportively by Mavericks fans during pre-game warmups and again when he converted a first-quarter layup for his first basket.

NBA players are required to undergo four random tests every season between Oct. 1 and June 30. But a player who tests positive for marijuana is not subjected to his first five-game suspension -- or even public knowledge he has failed a drug test -- until his third failed test.

There likewise appears to be no penalty precedent for a player who merely shares details about his substance abuse in the media.

Two sources close to the situation told ESPN.com Howard will almost certainly be entered immediately into the NBA's marijuana program -- which would require him to submit to counseling and much more frequent testing, including offseason checks -- but it would appear that he is not at risk for a suspension unless he has failed two previous tests.

Mavericks forward Josh Howard revealed he uses marijuana in the offseason.

The league issued no response to Howard's comments Friday, citing a policy in its anti-drug agreement with the union that forbids the NBA and the Players Association from publicly discussing specifics about substance-abuse issues.

"I haven't heard the interview and I haven't spoken with Josh," Mavericks coach Avery Johnson said during his usual pregame meeting with reporters. "Once I hear the interview and talk to Josh about whatever was said, we'll go from there."

Johnson did add, however, that Howard's decision to consent to the interview and invite questions on this topic on the day of a playoff game was "what I call poor timing and poor judgment."

Dallas is already reeling from a 2-0 deficit to the Hornets entering a crucial Game 3 at home.

Howard has struggled mightily in the series, averaging 13.5 points on 26.9 percent shooting from the floor. But the discussion about marijuana with Irvin came at Howard's urging -- as the station stressed repeatedly during subsequent programming -- to clarify the statements he made to The Morning News.

Asked by Irvin's co-host, Kevin Kiley, if he fears that his struggles in this series will be linked to his marijuana admission, Howard said: "Oh yeah, I understand that. … I know that's not the truth."

Added Howard, "Like I was saying to the [Morning News reporter], it has nothing to do with what I do as far as basketball, when I go out there and perform. That's how I feel about it."

He explained: "What I was stating was just [in response to] a random question he asked me about the marijuana use. I just let him know that most of the players in the league use marijuana and I have and do partake in smoking weed in the offseason sometimes and that's my personal choice and my personal opinion. But I don't think that's stopping me from doing my job."

Asked why he wanted to discuss marijuana on a sports-radio talk show, Howard said: "I was raised on being truthful and honest with myself and my family, so I can say it with no problems and go out there and perform to the best of my abilities tonight and not even think about it."

Howard first publicly addressed marijuana use and what effect it might have had on him slipping to No. 29 in the 2003 draft in an interview with ESPN.com's TrueHoop blogger Henry Abbott before last season's playoffs. The Morning News addressed the TrueHoop interview with Howard in an article that appeared in last Saturday's editions.

The Morning News quoted Howard as saying that he received no flak for the interview. And when asked to quantify the extent of his marijuana use, Howard told the paper that he got "a little crazy" in high school but uses it "less" now and never during the season.

Marijuana is "nothing I'm needing," Howard said. He contrasted that to some NBA players who he says "have to have it."

"What can I say?" Howard told the paper. "If you can do it and it's not affecting your everyday life, why stop? If I'm able to do it, but not while I play basketball, it lets you know I can quit whenever."

what yall think about this??

personally, its not really a big deal to me, but at the same time i could see people making it a big deal because a "professional athlete" should act professional, and be a role model etc. for the young ones.

if it effects his playing ability, then yes id be worried, but if he says he aint smokin durin the season, and it hasnt effected him yet on the court, then why care??? i like josh howard as a player, and watching him play.

Jan 18, 2006
I wish Dallas would be pissed off about it and release him so the Warriors could get him lol but that wont happen in a million years

Stealth

May 8, 2002
LMAO tons of basketball players smoke. When I was doing my "thing" at Pitt, I smoked with Carl Krauser, Jaron Brown, Brandon Knight...

Not that any of them made the NBA...but I don't think the weed really hurt any of them either.

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
I give him credit for being honest. It wasn't the best timing for it, but at least he was honest.
exactly.....if he wanted to make a point of that shit do it after the playoffs or something like that......he's just asking the league to test him even more

I bet there's finna be hella smoking signs in NO when they go back.....lol

Jan 18, 2006
Thats about as stupid as a thing you can do, its like he knew he was gonna fail an upcoming drug test. I dont know its pretty ignorant to me.

phil

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
if more people in this country would be this honest about it, legalization would be that much easier. but theyre not, so this wasnt exactly the smartest thing to do. oh well its his life and his career isnt in jeopardy

Oct 16, 2006
mylot.com
yeah, nba is gay for not allowing its players to break federal laws :ermm:
if he wants to smoke weed in the offseason, then let him. It's not hurtin' his game. I kno me, and many other ballplayers I know smoke tree and it doesn't affect our game @ all. I even had a coach in HighSchool who would be burned out every practice, game... shit anytime. & he still played pro-am in the city with no problems @ all. I wouldn't necessarily do it right before a game or anything, but what's the worst thing thing that'll happen? He gets hungry? C'mon, muh-fuckas is shootin' up with steroids... Now That's a problem. Weed? It ain't no thing. & as far as breaking a federal law goes, you know damn well that smoking weed shouldn't carry a harsher sentence than selling coke. F.T.G.

Jun 15, 2005
I have no problem with him smoking weed, I have a problem with him announcing that shit in the media.

It's irresponsible public behavior. Lotta impressionable young minds idolizing athletes n whatnot.

Defy

Cannabis Connoisseur
Jan 23, 2006
Rich City
I have no problem with him smoking weed, I have a problem with him announcing that shit in the media.

It's irresponsible public behavior. Lotta impressionable young minds idolizing athletes n whatnot.
exactly

its pretty known that foos are burning in pro sports, but once you take that to the media then you're gonna be making a mockery of your team as well as being a terrible role model