Jim Ross retires

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 12, 2012
WWE Hall of Famer Jim Ross announced that he is retiring from WWE today, after 20 years of service, to focus on his personal business endeavors.

Jim has had a long and storied career at WWE, both on the corporate staff as well as his television persona, calling some of the most memorable matches in WWE history as the voice of Monday Night Raw and SmackDown for more than two decades. He made his debut with WWE at WrestleMania IX in 1993 and was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame in 2007 by his long-time friend “Stone Cold” Steve Austin.

Jim has made many contributions to WWE and the sports-entertainment industry, and we thank him for his many years of service and wish him well.

May 24, 2002
As noted earlier, WWE announced that Jim Ross is retiring from the company. Ross met with Vince McMahon earlier today, and the decision was made to end his tenure with the company. WWE's reason for Ross' departure is that he wants to "focus on his personal business endeavors."

The final decision was made by Vince McMahon, and it's being said that Ric Flair's unruly behavior at the WWE 2K14 panel during SummerSlam weekend was one of the contributing factors in his departure. Management felt that Ross, who hosted the event, should have cut off Ric Flair when he went off-script and made several controversial remarks in front of WWE & 2K Sports executives.

Feb 17, 2009
www.twitter.com
As noted earlier, WWE announced that Jim Ross is retiring from the company. Ross met with Vince McMahon earlier today, and the decision was made to end his tenure with the company. WWE's reason for Ross' departure is that he wants to "focus on his personal business endeavors."

The final decision was made by Vince McMahon, and it's being said that Ric Flair's unruly behavior at the WWE 2K14 panel during SummerSlam weekend was one of the contributing factors in his departure. Management felt that Ross, who hosted the event, should have cut off Ric Flair when he went off-script and made several controversial remarks in front of WWE & 2K Sports executives.
Just read that and thought is was crazy.
Who is going to control The Nature Boy?
Granted he could have cut him off but who knows.

I'm 25 and I kid you not that JR and The King were a massive part of my childhood and teens as my parents had a nasty divorce an wrestling was my outlet.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2008
San Jose, Ca
Dave Meltzer of The Wrestling Observer just released a breaking audio update, and has provided even more information on the developing story of Jim Ross announcing his retirement from WWE.

According to Meltzer, JR met with Vince McMahon in Connecticut last night, and all but a handful of Vince's inner circle had any idea why the meeting was taking place.

The reason why Jim Ross was let go from WWE was due to his inability to control Ric Flair at the WWE 2K Sports panel that took place the night before SummerSlam. As we noted earlier, there was talk of letting JR go "the minute the panel ended," as WWE felt he should have cut Flair off and regained control of the event.

Meltzer further noted that the part of the panel that drew the most heat for Flair was when he made mention of his son Reid's death and when he joked that John Cena never used to drink before they met but now he downs a six pack of beer every night.

The update went on to note that WWE is using the "retirement" excuse as a PR move to avoid major uproar over the firing of a beloved WWE talent and Hall of Famer. Meltzer stands by his belief that Ross was let go entirely due to the 2K Sports panel because just a couple weeks ago during his Q&A session in The UK, Ross said he had no plans to retire from WWE.

Another interesting note is that aside from Vince McMahon, Triple H and a couple other employees mentioning it on Twitter, no WWE wrestlers have commented on the news of JR retiring.

BUTCHER 206

FREE BUTCHER206
Aug 22, 2003
Seattle, WA
fuck the mcmahons. and vince is a dumbass, i bet this is a part of his whole keeping wwe rated pg crusade. well too bad, the company has always been filled with barely functioning drug addicts and alcoholics and steroid junkies and he'll never be able to keep that hidden. the wwe wellness program has always been a joke. he would never dare fire flair because he knows 1. flair would kick his ass and 2. flair would run his mouth off for the rest of his life about all kinds of shady dirt on the mcmahons and the wwe and it would damn near ruin the whole wwe. instead he fired JR cause he knows the guys in poor health and can be walked all over because he has a lot more class than flair

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2003
if thats true and real reason they fired him then thats some hoe shit. bc all them wrestlers drink beer except for a few. and its a no brainer taht cena, triple h are steroid users still. looks like Orton is back on the juice to. i noticed when ever they push a guy he always gets more bulk and tone up during the push then deflates or turn back flabby when he demoted.. they even had cm punk on the juice for min while he was champion you can see the difference if you watch matches from year ago. watch if daniel bryan gets the belt back for a good run you will see him bulk up also.

Feb 2, 2006
cena, triple h are steroid users still. looks like Orton is back on the juice to. i noticed when ever they push a guy he always gets more bulk and tone up during the push then deflates or turn back flabby when he demoted.. they even had cm punk on the juice for min while he was champion you can see the difference if you watch matches from year ago. watch if daniel bryan gets the belt back for a good run you will see him bulk up also.

yup...orton was on the juice when he was champ...same exact thing happened for alberto del rio...lol if they ever make hornswoggle the wwf champion...imagine if that midget starts roiding up...hornswoggle be like
and nobody would know

Props: Darkshowdown
Jun 6, 2008
San Jose, Ca
Ross "Retirement" = No Mystery

by Mark Madden September 13, 2013

Jim Ross didn’t retire. Vince McMahon got rid of him.

Anybody who knows anything knows why.

Ross’ alleged mishandling of that goofy video-game panel discussion that featured Ric Flair was just an excuse. Ross wasn’t drunk, and who gives a frig about a stupid video-game panel discussion? The manufacturers didn’t. THEY LOVED IT. What was said didn’t matter, because none of it was over-the-top controversial. Nobody besides the IWC heard it, and nothing said was new to the IWC.

Ross (and Flair) weren’t given any parameters regarding content by WWE ownership before that panel discussion. All bitching was done after the fact. Ross and Flair merely did what they thought would entertain – and it did.

To be mad at Ross, you’ve got to manufacture an excuse. His professionalism is beyond reproach, as is his knowledge of and love for the business.

Vince, Chyna Jr and the son Vince wishes he’d had pushed J.R. out the door for one reason: ROSS KNOWS MORE ABOUT WRESTLING THAN THEY DO.

People like that make Vince and Co. nervous.

Not that Ross flaunted that. But whenever WWE got it wrong, and whenever an angle went awry or underachieved, the McMahons knew that Ross knew. The McMahons knew Ross could have gotten it right. No one’s thought process has ever bridged the gap between this wrestling and that wrestling like Ross. Ross never said, “I told you so.” In fact, Ross never even told them so.

But Ross could have. Knowing that drove the McMahons crazy.

Ross found a way to don the thickest skin possible to endure the slings and arrows of the McMahons' shameless bullying and baiting. That drove the McMahons even crazier. Having to pay Ross, but not getting their money’s worth – certainly not in the way they wanted – drove the McMahons nuttier still.

Ross led the McMahons a merry chase – and just kept contributing.

Finally, they could take no more. All the crap the McMahons used to try and humiliate Ross backfired. It made Ross noble. Ross outsmarted them without even having to think. He did it merely by being Jim Ross.

I won’t discuss Ross’ career. Everyone else will.

But only one man can say he’s the greatest play-by-play announcer in wrestling history. It sure ain’t Vincent Kennedy f’ing McMahon.

Ross should not have been off WWE television for EVEN ONE SECOND. J.R.’s looks are a problem? A) Announcers are on camera for a couple minutes per show, tops and B) Ross sure ended up with a hotter wife than Vince. Yo, VKM...ever hear of the Americans With Disabilities Act?

Vince, in screwing Ross, screwed his own show, thus screwing himself. No competition leads to serving agendas leads to dumb-ass decisions.

I wish J.R. well. If he wants me to help write his book, I’m right there. If he takes over a wrestling company and sees a role for me, I’m right there. There are only two people I’d ever come back to work in wrestling for: J.R. or Paul Heyman.

But I don’t want to see J.R. take over TNA. Working for Dixie Carter would be a different kind of torture. But it would still be torture.

Follow Mark on Twitter: M @mark MaddenX

Props: Premo