Jayo Felony - Interview - GGGG Unit???

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 17, 2003
Source - Ballerstatus.net

BallerStatus.net: I've heard that you have left your situation at Treacherous Records. What made you leave the label?

Jayo Felony: I mean, we just parted ways because I felt that my album needed a bigger push than what they could give me. I'm not in a rush to fail or put out an album that is gonna do mediocre numbers. A lot of people are anticipating my project, but I just need the proper channels to put it through, so it will be done right. For now I'm postponing my album for a minute, until this deal I have in the works goes down.

BallerStatus.net: Ok, well what made you sign with Treacherous at the time, when you say now that you felt they couldn't give you the right push?

Jayo Felony: The bottom line is that they have distribution with Universal, but the thing is can they set up an album the proper way to get it out there to the masses? Basically, they are a new company starting out, and there is a lot to making an album successful, something I feel they may or may not be able to do right away. Nothing against them, but there's just a lot to making an album successful. Right now, I'm at a point in my career, where I have to be with the right machine -- who knows what they are doing.

BallerStatus.net: You were able to take your music and album with you right?

Jayo Felony: Yea.

BallerStatus.net: Now, you were recording your album, In The Trenches, while signed to them. What are your plans with the album, now that you are currently without a deal?

Jayo Felony: Sh-t, I'm blessed to not have a deal. I'm just happy to be free right now, and don't have to trip on doing everything myself, as far as push the record, promote it, do the radio, and be the f--kin' artist. That's too much muthaf--ka work that I ain't trying to be doing. I'm trying to rap and be where I'm supposed to be -- performing, getting my money and getting the f--k on.

BallerStatus.net: The album's title really reflects your position right now. Tell me about why you decided to go with the name, and what people can expect from the music on it.

Jayo Felony: In The Trenches represents the hood; it's basically letting people know I'm in the hood. I'm working on what I do, and everybody can relate to it, you know what I'm saying?

BallerStatus.net: Who are some of the artists you working with for it, and are you planning on going back in to record new stuff for it when it does drop?

Jayo Felony: Yea, I mean the album is off the hook. I got a lot of hot producers on there and artists like Jelly Roll, who did the lead single coming out; my boy Havoc from Mobb Deep, Scott Storch...my boy DJ Silk that did "Whatcha Gonna Do" I did some sh-t with Kurupt, Sleepy Brown from Outkast...it's off the hook, man! My boys from Mobb Deep also did some sh-t with me, so I'm straight.

BallerStatus.net: Speaking of Mobb Deep, you hooked up with them last year and announced plans for a Riflemen album. Is that still in the works?

Jayo Felony: Yea, it's definitely in the works. We will put that out when we find the right situation for it. It's definitely going down, and everybody is looking forward to putting that out. Just making an album together is off the hook, so it's only a matter of time before we get everything together. But it's definitely gonna kill 'em though.

BallerStatus.net: With Cali back on the rise, how do you feel your chances are to become the next rapper out of the West Coast to blow up?

Jayo Felony: It's a blessing, man. I'm just happy to be a part of what's going on and happy about the whole movement on the West Coast -- just being a part of it. It's just really time for me to really be heard and be able to put out project consecutively, like I should have been doing in the past. It's basically like I'm a new artist; I got a lot of sh-t to say. I don't try to say the same old sh-t all the time; I try to come up with different things, rap about it in different ways and just be creative with the way I spit. I think that's what the business is lacking right now -- a lot of muthaf--kas being different and creative. Everyone now a days sound the same. You gotta come with some different sh-t.

BallerStatus.net: What do you feel the West Coast needs to really do to actually make it the driving force it once was in the industry?

Jayo Felony: Sh-t, we just need more outlets, as far as getting strings pulled for the coast. Muthaf--kas that is putting out music from the West, just need to be heard in different outlets and avenues, then we have been heard in. That's basically what it is man. Muthaf--kas just don't have the deals like they used to have.

BallerStatus.net: The West doesn't get the radio play or the love in other parts of the country as well. Why do you feel that is?

Jayo Felony: Bottom line, it's who you are affiliated with and having hits, you know? If you affiliate yourself with the right team, then anything is possible. Once that takes place, [the industry] don't have no choice but to give you that love.

BallerStatus.net: Earlier in the year, Snoop held the Protect The West conference and deaded his beef with you, along with others. How has that step effected -- if any -- the West Coast movement?

Jayo Felony: It's definitely a positive step -- trying to squash all differences and make sh-t happen, so everybody can be successful. That's just one step towards bridging the gap between a lot of different artists that could be working together. The point is muthaf--kas gotta stick to what they say and can't be just hyping it up for the media and nothing transpires afterwards. We just gotta stick to our guns, and stick to what they are talking about for anything to come of it.

BallerStatus.net: That was a few months ago. Since then -- from what you've seen -- does it look like people have been standing by their words and trying to unify for the sake of the West Coast?

Jayo Felony: For the most part, yea. I see, just from that conference, it settled and squashed a lot of differences that were out there -- even myself. Muthaf--kas have been coming to the table, trying to make sh-t happen, put their differences aside, move forward and make money. It's definitely something that was on a positive level for the coast in general, so we can at least have our own backyard straight, and get those opportunities that are out there for us.

BallerStatus.net: As far as your music, fans will have to wait for your official album to drop. But will you be dropping any mixtapes or street albums, so people can get a taste of what Jayo Felony has been doing?

Jayo Felony: Fo sho, I got a mixtape coming out in the Fall. I'm making it right now as we speak; it's gonna be off the hook. It's gonna let muthaf--kas know my new affiliation with the people I'm about to be dealing with -- letting the rabbit out the bag on that level. Once it's out there, it's out there. It's definitely going down. I'm looking forward to being apart of the situation I'm about to be apart of, and finally being able to be heard, and having that machine behind me. Regardless if the fans will have to wait a few more months for my album, I know it's gonna be done right, so I can give the fans what they want. The anticipation is gonna be there, and I'll finally be able to be heard by the masses and have that big machine behind me.

BallerStatus.net: In the past, you were signed to big labels such as Def Jam, and also signed to Jam Master Jay's label when you first came out. Why do you think those situations didn't help you reach the masses that you feel you are about to reach?

Jayo Felony: The bottom line was when I was signed to Jam Master Jay, I didn't go through the same sh-t as other artists. I went through an independent system, which didn't even have the experience to really put sh-t out. That was one mistake. The other was at Def Jam; I just didn't have the proper representation pushing my sh-t. It's all just bullsh-t, but at the end of the day, it was all gravy. I still made hit records and been on successful sh-t. Now, it's time to really reap the benefits of what I do. It's all gravy; I don't regret none of it. I'm just ready to make it happen, and put my foot down officially.

BallerStatus.net: Do you feel with all the mistakes and steps you've been through in you career, you've been able to learn and know what steps need to be taken now to be successful?

Jayo Felony: Hell yea! I've learned a lot and you just gotta do what you gotta do, work hard at it and stay focused. I know one thing is for sure, that muthaf--kas ain't f--kin' with me on that mic.

BallerStatus.net: What else is on your plate right now?

Jayo Felony: Right now, I got a couple movies that I'm gonna be directing and executive producing. I'm also about to make a big move in my career, as far as who I'm signing with. Just from that alone, I'm gonna be successful. I got a couple of independent records I'm working on, but right now, I'm getting this situation done, so I can drop this album and give the fans what they want. Just being able to come back consecutively with albums without being held up by the business is what I'm working on right now.

BallerStatus.net: Any last words?

Jayo Felony: Watch out for this new album. Much love to all the fans for putting up with my sh-t. Its finna go down. I just getting in the right situation and I didn't wanna disappoint anyone or myself with not being with the proper team or proper channels. It's time to step up to the plate and make this right!

Jun 9, 2004
i didnt read this, just skimmed thru it, but i didnt see anything that was remotley talking about him joining G-Unit, besides his ties with Mobb Deep. that was it.

Sep 17, 2003
BallerStatus.net: As far as your music, fans will have to wait for your official album to drop. But will you be dropping any mixtapes or street albums, so people can get a taste of what Jayo Felony has been doing?

Jayo Felony: Fo sho, I got a mixtape coming out in the Fall. I'm making it right now as we speak; it's gonna be off the hook. It's gonna let muthaf--kas know my new affiliation with the people I'm about to be dealing with -- letting the rabbit out the bag on that level. Once it's out there, it's out there. It's definitely going down. I'm looking forward to being apart of the situation I'm about to be apart of, and finally being able to be heard, and having that machine behind me. Regardless if the fans will have to wait a few more months for my album, I know it's gonna be done right, so I can give the fans what they want. The anticipation is gonna be there, and I'll finally be able to be heard by the masses and have that big machine behind me.

Jun 9, 2004
Soze said:

im not saying it isnt... but it doesnt ness. mean its G-Unit.

Jun 2, 2004
i refuse to believe mase would sign to g-unit. 50 stole his flow. but i do remember hearing that mase was gonna start back rapping using cuss words & everything

Jun 9, 2004
i just found this on another website.

copied from another board...dis dude attended da Boston show last night and here are his thoughts on da BOSTON concert below.....
from my view points basically official though...I listened to da radios here in MD dis morning and da DJ said da same thing that Mase had on a spinning G-unit chain..he wore a G-unit shirt..I am sure they will OFFICIALLY announce da signing soon but its a done deal...rememger mase rocked da chain at MSG 2 dayz ago...

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok so I know its been being talked about all week but I can confirm tonight in Boston, Mase again showed up..50 brought him out and mase came out yellin "GGGGg-Unit thats what it is now, this is history in the making." I was there I saw it personally, it wasnt a one time thing in NY..For any and all Mase fans this is so big for him, he has needed that promotional vehical and I know this is a bad boy forum but bad boy is not the place where and artist is gonna blow up now, we can all pray it would be like it used to be but we gotta start facing that it may never be, but Im a Mase fan and this will give him the ability to get back where he used to be, and he's not in the g-unit he will likely be signed to g-unit records so I doubt it will effect his relationships w the lox ect, business is business and brothers understand that.. Big News though I thought I would share with you guys..