J-RITZ "Contradictive Thoughtz" Review by -K- of SuperHappyWax

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 23, 2003
www.unionavenueproject.com
Big thanks to -K- of SuperHappyWax.com for the review. This man is a true professional, and one hell of a writer. Check out the review and let us know what you think.

http://www.superhappywax.com/messageboard/topic.php?tid=1156

J – RITZ “The Contradictive Thoughtz” LP www.havdreamz.com

First off thanks to JRITZ for hitting me off so quick with a copy of this disk,first thing that is noticeable is that the cover design and interior of this album has many different images of RITZ which after a listen or two you’ll see the connection – many different pictures of the artist make up the whole picture presented on this CD.
The Album Kicks off with some shit I think to myself every day with “Dead Man Walkin” solid production with some funeral parlor type keys chiming in with a nice chorus, this is nice right off the bat J-RITZ definitely establishes some good rhymes with storytelling ability to match. I like when a record grabs you from get go and puts you in the artists mind-state, nice. RITZ’s flow is very steady and concentrated throughout, the mood set here is very affecting as we see through the eyes of a dead man who thinks he might still be alive, kinda like that Jacob’s Ladder flick which is also highly recommended by the way.

Following this though the reason this album is labeled “Contradictive Thoughtz” becomes more apparent as it transitions into “Every Dog has itz day” a tale in which a player ultimately gets played. Definitely more club friendly sounding not an anthem at all, in fact the storytelling holds it together well – I guess if anything it caught me off guard considering how the whole joint started off. Actually the payoff on this one is the ending, which is pretty humorous.

“All I got” is a heartfelt ode to his Mom, J –RITZ remininces on his family’s life coming up with just a Mom to look after kids and how he is aiming to make the come up as an artist to make her proud, kinda made me feel all sad and happy at the same time since I put my Mom through hell too, shit she deserves at least half a mil for that BS. A big thanks to all Moms worldwide!

The next jam “Ritzy Love” well, I probably don’t need to say more than your Mom probably would blush if she heard this one. For only the first four songs I’m fairly surprised at the diversity represented style wise on this record – dudes delivery stands up though whether rappin on some introspective shit or otherwise – it’s cool to hear some stuff that actually catches you off guard.

“Getto Propheit” RITZ speaks on the realities of growing up poor and the need for unity in the hood to make a come up “Makin money in the Ghetto off the Ghetto as a people”
– definitely a standout track, how many times should I mention that I was caught off guard as to what to expect next?

Following this “All Night All day” (Feat Brotha Love) kicks some hanging with the homies type style, not necessarily my favorite piece here

“Dreamz” expresses how his hunger to attain his dream of making a career of music drives him on a daily basis and the distractions that can threaten to divert one from attaining success. Sick opening on this one, the beat is very fluid and the bassline is tight as well. As far as the lyrics man, I dig when I can really identify with what’s being expressed and J-RITZ really hits the core on this one – this could defintitely be a single.

Krayzee is perhaps the darkest piece I’ve heard up to this point, the beat on this one is great as are the subtle samples and back up vocals droning the chorus. Very nice production on this joint too,

Dear Dad is a spoken word acapella on J-RITZ life growing up with a father who was never there when he should have been. Damn this one is very real and totally raw. By far the darkest and most harrowing piece on here, poetic though.

Fuck Lyfe, chaotic very driven as if a progression from the first half of the album to a much more focused anger, conversely there is a feeling of fun here in the flow.

NPS2303 ? song title or? The guitar riffs here are cool, definitely can feel this one too. Expect the unexpected on this record, and expect to nod your head a lot.

“Hell on Earth” As the title suggests the song is about dealing with life.

“Secret Place” This one flip that song from the tv show “Cheers”! Damn the music on this one cinches it up nice as an ending piece, essentially this record just took me on a journey and brings it back home with this one. Tribal’s production on this and every other joint on this album is solid and definitely pushes J-RITZ rhymes with some bounce.

All in all a very nice record, definitely worth picking up – if one track doesn’t hit you chances are another one will. It’ll be interesting to see what the Havdreamz crew brings us in the future considering the level of professionalism on display here on “Contradictive Thoughtz”, solid work folks.

review by:
Karl Lind 2/29/05
- peace -

Tracks

1. Dead Man Walking
2. Every dogg has itz day
3. All I got
4. Ritzy Luv
5. Getto Propheit
6. All night All day (feat Brutha Luv)
7. Dreamz
8. Krayzee
9. Dear Dad
10. Fuck Lyfe
11. NPS2303
12. Hell on Earth
13. Secret Place

Dec 5, 2004
J-RITZ said:
I THINK YOU GOT A POOPY ATTITUDE, & I DONT UNDERSTAND THE REASON FOR YOUR SMART AZZ ...OOPZ I MEAN...SMART BUTT POST JERK FACE.
BUT KEEP IT RITZY, & BUY THA ALBUM AT www.havdreamz.com & I'LL BE A "DUMMY" CHUMMIE,
J-RITZ
YEA IT'S A PITTY HOW I COME SO SHITY LIKE DIAREIA AY FOR REAL THOUGH IF YOUR ON A RAP SITE AND SOME ONE SAYS ''DO YOU LIKE RAP''? COME ON MANYE. ''IT'S NOT WHAT YOU SAY, IT'S HOW YOU SAY IT'' I JUST DIDN'T THINK I WOULD HAVE TO SPELL IT OUT FOR ANYBODY. IT'S TURF ETEQUITE YA-DID-I-SAID-SO

Dec 5, 2004
Tribal said:
I believe I said Hip Hop. But you must not know nothin about that there, huh?
you said NW HIP HOP alright and I am on NW hip hop web site so when you asked does anybody in here or here like N.W. HIP HOP it's kind of like no shit that's why were all here. When I was talking about rap it's a figure of speach like if your in 31 flavers and some ask's do you like ice cream...I guess.. no shit that's why your there. so something I wrote as a joke you guys are taking way to personal. I don't have any problems with you or J-RITZ so relax....yes I do like NW HIP HOP

Mar 23, 2003
www.unionavenueproject.com
Just though you all should know. Is the NW ready for an Emcee like J-RITZ?

Post by ALLcity @ SuperHappyWax.com

That review was on point...that's how I pretty much felt about the whole album. Good production, good lyrics, and i enjoyed how each track was about a different topic...and stayed ON topic. That kind of creativity and originality is not seen very often with many of the rappers out now...even some of the best lyricists tend to stick to only a handful of subject matters. Props to Ritz for expanding beyond the typical...