Ive been on a pop-punk kick

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 18, 2003
Also has anyone listened to the NEW Tides Of Man? Some really good songs, and some mediocre shit. But something to listen to nonethess.

May 16, 2002
Been listending to TRANSIT - Listen and Forgive for the last week. Nothing tooo great.
i just saw Transit last week in SF. they opened for the Saves the day/Bayside tour. they were pretty cool.

it was already mentioned...but through being cool is probably the best pop punk record ever.

another band that was on the bill was

i am the avalanche

May 16, 2002
oh...and check out what is perhaps the first "pop" punk band ever. the descendents. they were big influences to that genre.

you may recognize this song as it was covered by sublime and blink.

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
I got really drunk and told I am the Avalanche they were the 2nd coming of Glassjaw when they opened for The Forecast like 4-5 years ago and they looked at me like I was retarded lol

Mar 18, 2003
I hate everything post-1999, but the kids like The Wonder Years and Fireworks.
Just to be clear, you're saying you currently hate everything post-1999 correct? Not that at the time you hated it. Because the majority of what is considered to be the best pop-punk was in fact post-1999. Of course, it's all subjective. Not to mention, I'm pretty sure we all used to post/listen to it years ago in the Random thread. And for what it's worth, kids now-a-days are favoring the hipster shit over pop-punk/post-hc. At least around here that's the case.

Also see what I'm posting below about Saves The Day.

i just saw Transit last week in SF. they opened for the Saves the day/Bayside tour. they were pretty cool.

it was already mentioned...but through being cool is probably the best pop punk record ever.

another band that was on the bill was

i am the avalanche
Still have the Transit CD in my deck and I'm starting to like it more as I've listened to it over the past couple days. Thanks for the other recommendations. Heard of I Am The Avalanche before and think I've listened to them once before but I don't remember shit so I'll check them out again.

As for Saves The Day... sigh.

I don't know what it is but I've tried a few times before and I've never been able to really get into that band. A long time ago someone told me they were the shit and to listen to the song "At Your Funeral" and I did, and I thought it was garbage. Probably just a very, very bad first impression. But when someone tells me to listen to a band, and throws a song at me as an example, and it sucks, then it's hard to go forward from there. Maybe I've just listened to the wrong songs at the wrong time. I'm gonna put Through Being Cool on a disk and listen to it for a week and see how I feel.

B-Buzz

lenbiasyayo
Oct 21, 2002
bhibago
last.fm
yeah I meant I never liked Newfound Glory, Simple Plan, Sum41 or any of those 02-06 bands. I love MXPX's first 2 albums, Blink182's first 2 albums, Descendents, Alkaline Trio...

and this is the shit the kids are calling "the best pop punks bands evarrr XD" these days

(wonder years aren't terrible)

May 16, 2002
As for Saves The Day... sigh.

I don't know what it is but I've tried a few times before and I've never been able to really get into that band. A long time ago someone told me they were the shit and to listen to the song "At Your Funeral" and I did, and I thought it was garbage. Probably just a very, very bad first impression. But when someone tells me to listen to a band, and throws a song at me as an example, and it sucks, then it's hard to go forward from there. Maybe I've just listened to the wrong songs at the wrong time. I'm gonna put Through Being Cool on a disk and listen to it for a week and see how I feel.
that is funny you say this...it seems that they are hit or miss with everyone...with no middle ground. i have a lot of friends that cant stand them for one reason or another (usually chris' vocals)

in my opinion, they are one of the best at their craft, even still chris has managed to reinvent the band and evolve in new directions and it never has gotten stale, although he has alienated a few fans. i love everything they have done, but i always recommend through being cool as a good starting point.

May 16, 2002
i dont know how i could forget another one of my favorites of this genre. the ataris. the whole album "blue skies, broken hearts...next 12 exits" is perfect IMO

Mar 18, 2003
Just burned Through Being Cool. I'm not gonna listen to anything else until after this weekend. !2 years after the fact.

I know about all the popular shit today like The Wonder Years, Four Year Strong, All Time Low, etc. Heard The Upsides was a good album, haven't checked it out yet.

Mar 18, 2003
Over the past 30+ days I've listened to Through Being Cool apprx. 12-15 times all the way through. First, in retrospect, I would have to agree that it is one of if not thee best pop-punk album I've ever heard. I'm not going to review a 12 year old album but I will say that I spent a lot of time trying to figure out why it was so damn good; in short, I came to the conclusion that Chris Conley has near-perfect vocal patterns (not voice), and that this attributes to most of the awesomeness of this album. I mean, I have friends in a band that produce equally-as-good instrumentals as Through Being Cool. That's not to say they suck, because their riffs are catchy as fuck, but without Chris I seriously question how much success this band could ever have.

Mar 18, 2003
This is some pretty good stuff. It meshes older style punk with new-age pop-punk. They do it quite well - I'm diggin it.

The Menzingers - On the Impossible Past
Genre: Punk / Pop-punk

1. Good Things
2. Burn After Writing
3. The Obituaries
4. Gates
5. Ava House
6. Sun Hotel
7. Sculptors And Vandals
8. Mexican Guitars
9. On The Impossible Past
10. Nice Things