I'VE ALWAYS WONDERED

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 14, 2006

I've always wondered if a person's education level,how they were raised or just how smart they are.. has anything to do with the type or Rap music they choose?or the lyrical content? what I mean by this is ..(and some people might get offended by this) ... but I've noticed that "most people" who only listen to rappers with no lyrical skill... really have a hard time debating about music ..and most of them are stuck in "im a hardcole cholo type of mentality. as when you talk to fans of rappers like "blunts LLA, Psycho Realm, Immortal Technique, Tupac, have better knowledge of the music itself.. I mean dont get me wrong I bump gangsta shit and some sicc shit like Brotha Lynch,shadow, but... i listen to both .. and I say this Because I have 2 examples ... this are both chicanos ok, the first one all he listens to is lil rob,caponee,payaso, ONLY music thats like "ey mija this and that or "ponte trucha en lacarrucha" type of shit lol.. so i tried to expose homie to rappers like Sick Jacken and Blunts LLA, and he hated that shit .. but it seemed to me like he didnt understand the methaphors used in the songs in other words the songs were too complicated for his mind to understand ...
the 2nd example another friend of mine chicano as well ...who all he's into is its that kind of rap plus other rappers like KRS1 ,chino xl, nas, tupac, I tried to bump some Mr.shadow and he' was like "fuck that kind of rap that shit its too simple" do u guys think you have to be somewhat smart to understand certain rappers and that theres people outhere that listens to shit like "..In the pacific to be specific.." because thier brain can't analize methaphors and put them together like those songs dont make sense to them.. I love west coast gangsta music but if you become repetitive or have some wack ass methaphors i aint bumping your shit ...

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
I don't think so

some people are really educated and they listen to "ignorant" rap music (hardcore gangsta rap)

I am a perfect example

and it's not because they can't understand the metaphors or lyrics, it's just because most of the "intelligent" rappers' music just sucks - they are too obsessed with lyrics and forget that they have to make good music before everything else

In the Golden Era rappers had both the street and the complexity in their lyrics

Now it's all divided and the street rappers don't have the complexity any more (which makes their music simple and "ignorant") , while the conscious/backpack rappers forgot about the street and threy don't appeal to most people as they used to

KRS-One and 2 Pac were perfect examples how all these can be balanced into some classic shit

today's artists fail to do it

Ry

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
  • Ry

Ry

^^^I agree with what you said there...

I think it depends on how open minded people are. There is some dope gangsta shit, and I will always be ino this type of rap because i pratically grew up on it. A lot of people that listen to gangsta rap thoguh look at listening to someone like MF Doom or Murs, LB as being soft where if they just opened thier mind to it they would see it is just tight music. Its the same with people that are heavy into underground hip hop, they think they are better than the avergae hip hop fan and wont even give some gangsta shit a listen...

T.C

Sicc OG
Jul 22, 2003
Grimy said:

I've always wondered if a person's education level,how they were raised or just how smart they are.. has anything to do with the type or Rap music they choose?or the lyrical content?.
it sometimes seems like education level has a lot to do with the type of rap people listen to...but i think it has to do more with what Mr Ry said about cat's open mindedness....because i know a person who is working on their masters degree and only listens to that simple shit and a thugged out cat who only listens to Mf Doom/Def Jux/Anticon type shit

RB20

Sicc OG
Aug 22, 2003
I dont think it is a matter of intellect or education level. I htink it mostly boils down to as someone else said...an open mind and what they grew up listening too. I got into rap listening to NWA....and I lived on the westrcoast pratically my whole life, so I was fixated on westcoast artists.

I remember I wouldnt touch a non westcoast artists CD. When I finally listened to, wu-tang. for example, I was hooked. It was different than what I was used to and I was feeling it. I still have a preference for westcoast music and westocast artists though.

May 2, 2006
It's all about open-mindness of people. I got an example too. Yesterday I went to Busta Rhyme's concert. Understand went, to see friends from other cities, cuz I'm a little short right now. Fuck that. I brought my CD Player. They listen to eastcoast from mid 90's - Tim Dog, Show & AG, Big L, Raw Breed. That's dope as fuck as we all know. BUT! I put one of my cdz, where I've put my favourite SPC tracks. First I played K-Rino - The Man In Da Mask. All that've heard the track know of the lyrics and the wisdom put in that one single track. Sense in this track is bigger than a whole Sage Fracis album. All of 'em were like: manne(maina), fuck this shit, enough with that bling bling, why do you even listen to such south side crap, rap is all about the lyrics.
My point is that it's all about the mind. One of em works at a constrction site. the other one just graduated uni with English (not sure bout the word). It's all about the mind. Not the brain, not the intellect.