ITS BEEN 50 YEARS SINCE THE UFW, AND FARMWORKERS ARE STILL BEING POISEND

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Oct 12, 2003
Marjie Lundstrom: A bounty of apathy as farm workers plagued by pesticides
By Marjie Lundstrom -- Bee Columnist - (Published May 22, 2004)

They're still getting sick in Kern County. And whatever the excuses, whatever the reasons, whatever the rationale this time around, it's becoming clear that business as usual isn't working - and some of California's poorest, most vulnerable workers are getting hurt.

Again and again.

Last Saturday, I told you about the May 2 mass poisoning of at least 19 farm workers when a cloud of highly toxic pesticides sprayed over a potato field drifted into a peach orchard where a large crew was laboring.

Given the number of ill workers taken to hospitals - and the toxicity of the brew, notably methamidophos - the state Department of Pesticide Regulation promised to closely monitor the county's investigation, which could result in hefty fines.

Then, lo and behold, on the very morning that column appeared, more farm workers were getting sick at a Kern County grape farm.

Again, the apparent culprit: pesticide exposure.

"The leaves were all wet, but the man told us it was just dew," said Ramon Hernandez, 29, who was working in the field with about 20 others last Saturday when he suddenly felt nauseated. His head ached, his eyes and throat were irritated and he and the rest were "all wet with that chemical stuff."

Hernandez was among five taken to a clinic.

Investigations into both incidents are continuing, but a reasonable person has to ask: What's going on here?

"These things happen all the time to individuals, but to have these mass poisonings is more unusual," said Marc Grossman, United Farm Workers of America spokesman. "To have them so close in time and a short distance from each other is very disturbing."

But maybe they're what it will take to force change.

Maybe the vision of five-months-pregnant Bibiana Torres, exposed May 2 to the highly toxic Monitor 4, will get someone's attention. Perhaps lawmakers will note the story of Maria Guevara, a mother of two whose heart now beats wildly as she climbs her apartment stairs after her brush with the same pesticide.

Maybe timing really is everything, even with tragedy.

As it happens, next Tuesday is the UFW's lobbying day at the Capitol, where farm workers and activists will press for passage of a new bill by Sen. Dean Florez, D-Shafter. (Florez's hometown is near the sites of both recent pesticide exposure cases, as well as more widespread incidents several years ago in Earlimart and Arvin.)

Florez's bill, which deals specifically with pesticide drift, would establish a fund to help pay the medical expenses for those exposed. It would be funded by penalties and settlements assessed to violators. The bill would also mandate more training for emergency and medical workers in those counties with heaviest pesticide use.

"In the general public, farm worker pesticide drifts are unfortunately seen as part of the harvest," said Florez. "They basically say, 'Well, that's going to happen, they're farm workers, they work out in the field and that's to be expected.' "

Florez knows it sometimes takes the face of human suffering, plus press attention, to shake such ambivalence. In 1999, after a van packed with farm laborers crashed in Fresno County, killing 13, the Legislature passed a Florez bill requiring seat belts in all farm-labor transportation vehicles.

Florez's new bill, of course, deals with pesticide poisonings and their treatment after the fact. But other ideas may find new impetus in the wake of these illnesses. The California Rural Legal Assistance Foundation has long tried to get a law requiring growers to post the chemicals that have been sprayed on fields, and precisely when.

Kern County's preliminary investigation suggests the required wait period was observed last weekend, when workers were exposed to ProGibb Plus 2X, a plant growth regulator.

Ramon Hernandez isn't convinced, as he and others described the vines as soaking, with foam on the ground.

His headaches have subsided, but new problems loom. He and three others who went to the clinic suddenly are without work. They are told things are slow, but they suspect otherwise.

"I'm very worried, because I'm the one to feed my family," said Hernandez, a married father of two.

He is afraid of getting cancer.

So tell him - and Bibiana and Maria and all the rest - that it's just part of the harvest.

Oct 12, 2003
For what almost 200 Fuckin Years we've been doing the work for this goddamn country for nothin! Our people always do the jobs that none of the gabachos want, and they cant even ensure that we can work in a safe enviornment. I had the opprotunity to volunteer for a few months for the UFW, and I met this one man Named Fernando, He has 4 children, all of which he supports himself, and he has cancer for workin in the fields for 20 years. We all need to let our voices heard, we cant just let the UFW do it by themselves, We all need to stand up and let the Govt. KNOW WE WILL NOT STAND FOR THIS SHIT!

Oct 20, 2003
that shit is hella fucked up- but the media hides it. if u wouldnt have had posted this info i woudlnt have knwon and i bet a lot of the ppl in here wouldnt have ethier. its all MEDIA. . i bet it wouldnt even get aired on the news. But that shit is fucked up ..smh

Oct 12, 2003
Sad Eyez said:
that shit is hella fucked up- but the media hides it. if u wouldnt have had posted this info i woudlnt have knwon and i bet a lot of the ppl in here wouldnt have ethier. its all MEDIA. . i bet it wouldnt even get aired on the news. But that shit is fucked up ..smh
EXACTLY. Shit like this will never make the 5 a clock news. But Thankz for the reply homegirl, but the fucked up thing is alot of people on here Try to rep the HUELGA FLAG but most of em dont even care about shit like this. Motherfuckers need to be schooled on La Causa

Jul 30, 2003
thats fucked up what happens to the campesinos, i bet any other race and they would be looking for new ways to make pestisides so they dont poison. its hard to imagine sometimes that we buy a apple for like 50 cents and they get paid like 50 cents a crate, supposibly justice exists, but i don't see it there. the governments more concerned in overseas conflict, instead of the well being of its own residents, that legal or not include the campesinos. i dont like sportin a huelga shirt n stuff cuzz then people r gunna think i'm an ene n since i dont bang there gunna look at me like a wannabe, ya know what i mean ?

Oct 12, 2003
By The Year 2010, 45% Of America will be latinos, and only 13% White, So If we are the actual majority, Why will always be the "Minority"??? Cause the policitians know they can do shit like this and we wont don nothin about it. They know they can deny campesinos I.D's and basic Human Rights and we wont do nothin about it, They Know they chain up our gente in the pinta and we wont do nothin about it! Why wont we ever advance??? Cause for some reason we gotta fight and kill each other, when thats EXACTLY WHAT THEY WANT US TO DO

Feb 1, 2004
FUCK ALL THESE WHITE PEOPLE FUCKING WITH OUR PEOPLE WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF THE U.S DIDNT HAVE MEXICANS THEY WOULD ALL GO BROKE BECAUSE 4 1 WE DO THEIR LAWN WE PICK THEIR FRUIT WE CLEAN THEIR PADS WE PLUMB THEIR FUCKING TOILETS WE ALL FUCKING WORK 4 THEM BUT FUCK THEM IN 50 MAYBE 100 YEARS THEY'RE GONNA BE DOING THE WORK 4 US AND FUCK WHAT THEIR DOING TO THE FARMEROS MY GRANDMPA WAS A GOOD FRIEND OF CESAR CHAVEZ AND HE TOLD ME IF HE WAS HERE EVERYTHING WOULD BE DIFFERENT 4 OUR RAZA THE FUCKING GOVIERNO NEVER WNATS 2 LISTEN 2 US THEY TREAT US LIKE SHIT AND WE CANT DO SHIT ABOUT IT THEY HISE ALL THE MEDIA ABOUT US WHEN ONE IF OUR RAZA GETS SHOT OR KILLED U NEVER SEE THAT SHIT IN THE NEWS OR THE FUCKING NEWSPAPER BUT WHEN A WHITEBOY GETS SHOT ITZ A BREAKING NEWS POSTED UP IN FRONT OF THE FUCKING NEWSPAPER WE NEED 2 BE HEARD AND ON E DAY WE WILL IF WE WERENT AROUND THEY WOULDNT BE AS RICH AS THEY ARE FUCK EM THESE FUCKING PECKERWOODS TREAT US LIKE SHIT LIKE MY POPZ TOLD ME DONT EVER TRY 2 FIGHT A GRINGO THEY WONT FIGHT BACL THEYLL SUI U AND THATS TRUE THEY'RE PARANOID OVER US THATS WHY THEY HAVE US LOCKEDDOWN IN PRISON.

Apr 2, 2003
WWW.PICTURETRAIL.COM
^^^^ YUP, I FEEL U BRO.... I BET IF THEY READ THIS RIGHT NOW, THEY WOULD SUE US ALL FOR "VERBAL HARRASSMENT" OR SOMETHIN LMFAO.... AND ITS NOT EVEN A RACE ISSUE, BECAUSE THERE IS RAZA UP THERE WIT THEM WHITES, HELPIN THEM KILL US SLOWLY! ITS ALL ABOUT MONEY. IVE SAID IT B4 N I WILL SAY IT AGAIN.... "FREESPEECH IS LIKE MONEY, SOME PEOPLE JUST HAVE MORE OF IT THAN OTHERS" SO FUCK THIS SHIT.... WE SHOULD PICKETTE THEM FUCKIN FIELDS LIKE WE SPOSED TO!

Oct 12, 2003
The thing is, we need to educate our children so that the next generation can be aware of this shit. Put down the guns and pick up some books. I know alot of kids look down on the farmworkers, as if they were better than them. How and the fuck are you gonna look down on your own people and despise them like that?? Their your hermanos tambien and its not their fault they arent as priviledged as some of the chicanos these days. I've seen alot of Norteños pick on campesinos too, and little chicanos pick on the migrant kids at school and call them "Wetbacks" and "pisas" . Motherfuckers are just ignorant as fuck

Oct 20, 2003
^ thats real as fuck- but like i said many times b4 in so many threads , the school systems are the worst in cali - besides AS A STUDENT no one wants to wake up every morning to deal with bullshit n harrasment. i was doin hella good in school ( grade wise ) and they " lost " 2 years of my credits and now im in continuation school. there is no motivation to really want to stay in school. :| and thats me speaking on a lot of ppl i know. they kick everyone out or they just treat u liek ur stupid in class.
@ newark - i feel u on that shit.

Aug 6, 2002
que desmadre!!! my jefe is a field worker and he said the times have changed for the better yet they still aren't good. but good shit on posting this shit. shit I worked in the fields for 5 summers and shit and there are hella shitty ass conditions out there. Everyone of our gente should support the HUEGLA and what it stands for. SI SE PUEDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apr 6, 2004
Fuck that shit homie.
That's why i said fuck it, people like to say shit, I can't B down cuz i go 2 college, but that's why I'm going to study law 2 B a civil rights lawyer N help out those getting fucked by the system

Oct 12, 2003
Good Shit JD. Get into school bro. I wish I had done that sooner, I didnt get my GED intil i was Incarcerated. But now im in college tambien, gonna get my Business Degree in december

Jun 5, 2004
i studied this shit in one of my classes. an ive done that type of shit for no pay, so i feel all the farm workers. what i cant stand is the company's or whatever sayin theyre givin non-english speakers an oppurtunity to support all they family, but then they dont give em no liability insurance shit or workers compensation. which basically means, if you have something bad happens to your body from work, they dont owe the workers shit. kind of makes me sick to see the conditions, i even saw a big truck carrying a big ass trailer full of field workers,like 20,30 people, and two fuckin porta potties behind it. thats the closest shit to slavery i seen in a long time, thats fucked up shit.