Is there such thing as too many options?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 5, 2002
www.karliehustle.com
57 different flavors/brands of toothpaste in the aisle.

354 ways to customize your checking account.

900 channels to watch.

5 remixes to your favorite hip-hop song.

Do these kinds of sensory overloads slowly make us batty? Do they contribute to ADD or ADHD? Are we so distracted by all the clutter that we are unable to make simple decisions between white paste and green?

I have to wonder how all the options and gadgets will effect us in the long run. There have to be some psychological effects.

Apr 1, 2008
You are fucking deep.
I think it was spawned from something psychological. Maybe, peoples nature to hunt was carried on from animals and fruits and what in the wild to the grocery store. It is like hunting the right type of cereal, or toothpaste.
Not saying it is a good thing, but that is my idea of why.

May 9, 2002
Funny, as I have thought about this on many occasions. A good example of this is candy bars. I remember being 10, going to 7-11, and seeing 3 Muskateer, Snickers, Butterfinger, Mars, Skittles (orginal), Skor, Heresy's and Almond Joy. Now, you go in, and not only is there 5X the brands, but now they have white chocolate Peanut Butter Cups, Dark chocolate everything, 5 different KINDS of Skittles (including a chocolate variety?), and NO bin candy (remember 5 cent Jolly Ranchers?)....

Dec 25, 2003
Or bipolar people named Karlie who have a personal crisis everytime they have to pick between Dentyne Ice and Orbit

lmao

j/p

Good to see someone actually contributing to the boards

Could I do the same? Probably not.

Nov 20, 2005
they do not contribute to add or adhd. you would have add or adhd even if you only had one channel to watch, no way to personalize your checking account, one mix to a hip-hop song, and one flavor of toothpaste.

also, i believe you are confusing sensory overload with information overload.

~k.

May 5, 2002
www.karliehustle.com
you don't think all of the gadgets and the internet and TV and multi-tasking and options in everything can contribute to creating a mimicking of ADD or ADHD over time? i feel that the clutter in general that attacks all senses will foster some kind of disorder that could effect people's ability to just sit still and do nothing because their brains are stimulated by so many messages of all kinds.

Dec 25, 2003
Indeed

How can I stop smoking cigarettes?

1. Quit being a bitch

2. Quit being a bitch

Apparently I will never stop smoking cigarettes

I dont know if thats related but its sort of in the ADD realm

Mar 30, 2006
Take a car for instance: People "try" to separate themselves by adding rims, spoilers, and tinted windows. The next person's opinion counts more than yours if you have to add all the extras to look "different". At the end of the day, it's still a Honda.

Apr 25, 2002
Many options are bad when they interfere with you making the correct choice.

Many options are good when they help you make the correct one.

The outcome is dictated by necessity.

Do you really need the option of milk, dark, or white chocolate peanut butter cups? No.
Do you really need the option of a ball point, fountain, or ink well pen? Probably, yes.

short

Sicc OG
Feb 2, 2006
theres like 47 cereal brands in boxes and 56 kinds in the plastic wrapping......to me cereal is cereal......no major difference that i can taste