Is street Credibility really neccessary?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 13, 2004
was just wondering why people put so much on a rappers "street credibility"? Its a business its entertainment. Cuz a rapper been shot what does that mean or prove? Cuz he sold dope and been to jail..and? What does that have to do with him delivering a dope album. I'm sure Brian DiPalma "The guy who wrote and directed Scarface" has never seen any part of the street or the drug trade but made a gangsta classic. But do u hear white folks or black folks sayin "well I dont know if I wanna watch this cuz I dont know if Brian is real" It sounds fucking retarded! But as I said in another thread, I guess these thundercats have to live vicariously thru these so called "real" rappers because thats the closest they'll get to some drama. Look at X-Raided, C-Bo,Flesh N Bone, Beany Sigal, C-Miller, Pimp C, Gucci Mane, Shyne and now Cassidy, all their careers suffered tremendously to say the least. I dont understand it...I mean your offered oppurtunities to better your situation but in the name of "keeping it Gangsta or real" you fuck yourself. But its funny cuz you never hear about Icecube, Scarface, Jay Z"except for the lil Lance thing", or somebody like Ice T who does have street cred never get into bullshit. But mufuckas will get on hear and call Will Smith a bitch or soft but..a recent platinum album and 20million a movie and he get to go home to Jada and his kids and aint gotta look over his shoulder..thats keeping it "real" Icecube keeping it "real" Master P keeping it "real" Jay Z keeping it "real" cuz they learned the game and ran with it and aint get caught in that bullshit. The object is to win. Battle rappin and fightin in the club tryin to snatch niggaz chains is some faggot shit.

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
In America it does play a role. Don't ask me why, it just does. It's different all over the world though. When hiphop started, you had to be known in the community. This was a part of street credibility. Street credibility doesn't specifically mean you were in jail or you sold drugs, it means you have or have had credibility in the streets, which can be achieved in many ways positive or negative. It's all about recognition. The truth is, this has NOTHING to do with delivering a dope album or not. One can produce a classic album and not be a gangster, clearly, it's been done over and over hundreds or thousands of times. A large percent of people involved in rap music probably wouldn't be doing many positive things if they weren't involved in rap or hiphop in some way, and that's just the truth. Poverty, drugs and gang violence, these have always been connected to hiphop and rap because rap is the voice of the unspoken youth, the oppressed child, the have-nots, the average african american who has been exposed to the streets. It just so happens that this same truth is what sells most rap music. People want to hear it, and they know when something is fake. Street credibility is neccessary, most definetly.

Nov 30, 2003
www.kcghostt.com
i think it is, to a point.. i mean justin timberlake could record an album with hard lyrics and beats.. but its still gonna be a justin timberlake album...

and will smith aint rappin about drugs and killin fools and all that.. so he doesnt have to keep any certain "image" to show people that hes really livin grimey, so niggas who say shit about him bein soft are foolish cause he aint trying to portray himself as being a gangsta..

i gotta run, or i'd post more

-ghostt

Aug 2, 2002
It depends on the content of the rapper. I mean unlike most other music, hip hop is from the STREETS. You can't have a nigga like Urkel come out rappin some Brotha Lynch type shit but at the same time you don't have to be a drug kingpin to make a hip hop record. The threadstarter had a point though, I've heard people say I'm not buying so and so's record cause he's a studio gangster, but you wont hear someone say I'm not going to see Al Pacino's movie cause he's a studio actor, he ain't really livin that Montana life. It depends on how the artist presents him self.

Although actors portray drug dealers and killers, they acknowledge they are portraying a role and don't claim it to be their lifestyle. But you have rappers who are portraying killers and pimps and claiming it to be their lifestyle when it's not

Oct 15, 2004
itsronron.com
I don't wanna hear Jerry Seinfeld give a speech on his struggles as a blacc man in America the same way I don't wanna some lame cat tell about a street life he's never lived. People adopt the music they listen to where I'm from. Some guyz are raised on music. If you can't believe the messanger then you can't believe the message...

Movies aren't music. The same way rap isn't football.

I could watch WWE to get "entertained" but I love the NFL because it isn't "scripted"

I respect ya point but movies don't have anything to do with the price of tea in China as far as I'M concearned.

But I've been wrong before

Oct 15, 2004
itsronron.com
If keeping it real can go wrong then it was never real in the first place

Let me ask you ask you a question.

If real violence turns you off so much then why would you enjoy listening to or watching it?

How can you sit here and call yourself mafia queen and say what you say. Do you think the word mafia got it's mystique and reputation from movies or fantasy? How can you glorify something fake and hate the orginal that it was copied from.

I'm not saying I love violence and I'm not saying I hate it. It's a part of the world. You were talking like Fat Tone's death was justified because of his past, but he died from....yup...violence

I'mma tell you a quicc story then I'mma lay it to rest.

I read about a major league baseball manager that was pretty successful one season. His whole team from owners to the bat boys were interviewed alot and spoke about how inspiring of a coach he was. But the way he would lift his teams morale and confidence would be by telling them Vietnam war stories, hundreds of 'em. And these were grown proffesionals so they must have been some damn good stories because everybody could remember at least one or more. But a reporter found out about it and tried to dig up his past, found out the man never was even in the army. He was blaccballed from the majors.

People were more upset that he lied about a topic as delicate as war, and whether you're pro or anti you just don't lie about it. On top of that his job was to lead and he did that by lying. He got paid to lie.

It's not even about baseball after that it's about character.

If you being true to yourself and your past whether good or bad then that's real. Aint nothin wrong wit that.

Aug 18, 2002
rappinronron said:
If you being true to yourself and your past whether good or bad then that's real. Aint nothin wrong wit that.
Exactly how I feel...Don't speak on shit you don't know. But I personally think that many rappers that aren't from the street don't get respect as mc's whether or not the subjects they talk bout are street or not. Rap/Hip-Hop is bigger than that now and people need to accept that. Just be real with yourself.

Aug 26, 2002
WWW.YABITCHDONEME.COM
rappinronron said:
I don't wanna hear Jerry Seinfeld give a speech on his struggles as a blacc man in America the same way I don't wanna some lame cat tell about a street life he's never lived. People adopt the music they listen to where I'm from. Some guyz are raised on music. If you can't believe the messanger then you can't believe the message...

AMEN...

basically..