IS RACE STILL A FACTOR IN RAP MUSIC????

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 28, 2002
With the emergence of artist like Em latin artist like fat joe, Big Pun RIP, even locally with loki, C-Dubb etc...Is race still a factor in what sells or doesn't sell? Or is that thought process overrated because even back in the day you had artist like 3rd bass the beastie boys etc. i'm just wondering what the people here on the siccness think about this subject... With hip hop now changing the culture of every part of our society you are seeing it on talk shows, commercials even with the president. Bigger then just race has rap 9hip hop) changed the whole culture of how america and the world looks at Race, whether in music or not???

Food for thought holla at your boy....

Tre-8

Bootleggs from the B side album

You can download it from these places NOW!!!

http://konnektgrafix.st/tre-8
Megaupload
Rapidshare

UGT

Sicc OG
Sep 15, 2002
u either can spit or u cant regardless of race musics universal i know sum ol skoool gansta rap fans only like people from certain hoods etc blah blah but if u look at people like drake,asher roth,chamiilion,paul wall they anit g'z but there successful n hip hop thats my 2 cents for now

May 31, 2006
it's only a factor for people that are quick to judge. Nor Cal got some white boys that can flow: Young Dru, Malice, Woodie (R.I.P.), Loki, Cognito and so on. it's sad how some people sleep on artists just cuz of their skin color, that goes for all races.

Jan 24, 2010
www.myspace.com
If you got spitters it really don't matter. Hip hop has always been full of different ethnicities. But I think white or latino cats gotta gotta prove them selves a little more because most people are gonna look at them different until they hear what they got.

Nov 26, 2007
only if you are a complete faggot and think that the color of someones skin makes them inferior... if anything people think its weird if you're a white dude like me listening to rap... but i listen to all types of shit... gangsta shit, hip hop, jazz, funk, metal... its all good as long as you love the music you make... people need to also understand that there is no GOOD music or BAD music (yeah i know i really hate mainstream music too) but its all based on opinion... the same thing that makes you hate broccoli when you eat it is that same think that makes you hate little wayne. im digressing from the topic though... i think that for anyone who has a solid grip of how the world really works (which unfortunatly isnt most people) then someones race woulnd matter in ANYTHING! if they are lame they are lame no matter if they are fucking PURPLE!

Oct 9, 2008
It is still a MAJOR factor! I rap and i go out and hit the streets to slang some cds and muthafuckas act like you from a different planet or something..I know the 1st thought in there head is like "yeah right i know this guys music is gonna suck!" The funny thing is after i play them my shit they look at me in shock like, "thats you?" I've had people tell me they thought my music was gonna be garbage before they heard it based on my race alone! You gots to hustle your cds but i guarantee without playing shit for someone muthatfuckas is way more likely to buy a "Rap" cd from a brotha who sucks rather then i white dude thats tite! Real talk i know from experience..

Oct 9, 2008
I could go on bout this shit for days but the thing that really pisses me off is it's my own race thats the most judgemental..I've actually had better luck sellin my shit to black people. I can't really blame anyone you just don't associate white people with rap music... I've actually caught myself doin it! I remember being at a club and some white dude stepped to me tryna sell his shit and i was like "nah i'm good.." (based on his appearance) Then i thought bout it for a second like hold up what the fuck am i doin? I chased dude down and was like "my bad dude let me cop that!"

MysticOracle

si vis pacem para bellum
May 4, 2006
707- VALLEJO
its always been fed to us that rap/hip hop culture is a black culture, much like country to white culture...i remember being 5 years old and listening mostly TO rap and even when i got a bit older buying rap music ( ice-t, public enemy, nwa, kool moe dee, CMW ETC..) ice-t did rock music ( body count )...i never gravitated towards rock music like other white kids...most of my friends listened to rock/country shit and the rest of us listened to rap..i guess with rap i could relate more to it because i grew up poor as fuck...food stamps,welfare, in the bad neighborhood...i never lived in a suburban white area....i lived in latin/black areas...i wasnt the only white kid....but its funny to see how many think because of my skin color i have had it better or havent lived through shit...when i was growing up it was almost like you were shunned for listening to rap...like it was a bad thing...i think the media plays a huge role in how we perceive things around us...like all of the sudden hip hop is everywhere you look and its widely accepted yet i then i get bashed for not being cool with it because hip hop has turned soft and really its been repackaged as pop music...

sorry for my rant...been drinking and for some reason this subject got me

Nov 12, 2002
www.MSMOfficial.com
I'm white and mexican even tho i dont look it...and people look at me fuccin crazy when I tell em I rap....especially since i moved to the south.....People automatically assume that since they see the color of my skin that they know who the fucc I am....How I grew up, shit Ive done and seen. Like KG said once people hear my shit the first reaction is usually "That's You?"...Its harder to get people to take you seriously and actually give ya musicc a look....

I've actually had dudes at shows when Im tryin to hustle my CD's blow me off just on appearance then when I get off stage rush up tryin to cop a disc.....shit is crazy

Jun 10, 2002
naw not really at least not to me. I didnt think too much about white rappers because of dudes like Vanilla ice and then Eminem came along and blew damn near everybody out of the water with his rapping ability and proved that white dudes can rap. basically its about skill not race

Dec 12, 2008
Roseville , Ca.
Yes - Just look @ the cover of your favorite hip-hop magazine , they all look , sound , act , do stupid shit , fools .........

The standouts - don't need a chain sayin " brick Squad " or " my big ass chain " they always gonna sell -

ex. - The roots will always sell good #'s Same w/ others .

Oct 9, 2008
Aug 5, 2009
With the emergence of artist like Em latin artist like fat joe, Big Pun RIP, even locally with loki, C-Dubb etc...Is race still a factor in what sells or doesn't sell? Or is that thought process overrated because even back in the day you had artist like 3rd bass the beastie boys etc. i'm just wondering what the people here on the siccness think about this subject... With hip hop now changing the culture of every part of our society you are seeing it on talk shows, commercials even with the president. Bigger then just race has rap 9hip hop) changed the whole culture of how america and the world looks at Race, whether in music or not???

Food for thought holla at your boy....

Tre-8

Bootleggs from the B side album

You can download it from these places NOW!!!

http://konnektgrafix.st/tre-8
Megaupload
Rapidshare
music is for everybody dawg, it dosen't matter what colour a human being is, so long as they ain't corny mudda fockers and are themselves on the mic and ain't faggots, rats or sex offenders, then its all good wit me, so long as the said human being artist has talent wit the above criteria i just mentioned, then its a go, then they can go through, that artist, whatever the colour of that human being will get my support, yes they will

but your right, music has brought a lot of heads together that wouldn't normally associate wit other, worldwide, you see what i'm saying, thats a beautiful thing

the only thing that puzzles me though, is internet boards, the majority of the forums i've been on, you seem to get a lot of fags and sex offenders and bougie weirdo's hiding behind all colours checking for street music, i just don't get what would attract these type of weirdo's to street music when they know on the roads, everybody is anti-fag, anti-sex offender, i mean what lyric did whichever artist buz thats made these weirdo's think, "yeah that represents my fag lifestyle, that represent my sex offender lifestyle", you get what i'm saying fam, there proper creepy like, like on some, there the only creatures out here on and off boards that gay groupie mudda fockers, because that's what a male groupie is, a faggot, these internet boards in general, have proved this cuzzy, i ain't gonna lie or front or anything, but i find them mudda fockers repulsive and creepy like, you get me and don't no, thats the way it see it, true story

fuck faggots, fuck sex offenders, fuck rats and fuck bougie weirdo's and big up all my human beings of every pursuajon thats on a level, worldwide, salute, salute, salute

Jun 28, 2002
^^^^ homie i agree with you somewhat but come on now !!!! the crazy shit i use to be the first muthafucka like fuck faggots etc... but lets keep it real how do wiedo's relate tohip hop ? because they 2 are not excepted by society. but that is changing for hip hop the president listens to rap, commercials have rap talk shows are influeneced by rap so things are different. i loved all the comments because they all seem to relate to how i've thought. i just wonder with so many people say just on this website that relate to the concept ofmusic being music by the FUCKEN BIAS!!! that part i don't get....