Is Hip Hop Influential or Entertaining?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

J:M

Sicc OG
Feb 4, 2004
Here's an interesting piece I found on HipHopDX. I think it can be used to refer to BART. I know we've seen articles this before but hey, here's another one.

http://www.hiphopdx.com/blogs/ShaStimuli/2008/09/09/is-hip-hop-influential-or-entertaining-.html

Is Hip Hop Influential or Entertaining?

September 09, 2008 | Tags: none
I wrote one of these bloggy things last week talking about my experience at the Million DJ March in DC. My entry seemed a little too one-sided with bitterness for me to put it out so I will just say that I was there, I performed and the footage is available somewhere online. Thanks to PMP worldwide for helping me out and showing me love on the site and thanks to my team as well. DJ Victorious and I are almost finished the “Election Edition” of March on Washington and if we can get it done by the end of this week then it will be available October 21st. I honestly don't know if I can do it but I'm having a miserably fun time trying.

Anyway tonight I am opening up for Kardinal Offishall at SOBs in NYC. It should be a good one, come support if you can. 2 days ago I was privileged enough to be a featured guest on Lisa Evers radio show on Hot 97 FM, Street Soldiers. The topic was concerning the youth of today and who's responsible for their lack of education. The candidates were hip-hop, parents, the streets, movies, etc. I didn't do too bad considering I was next to a Pulitzer Prize winning author and school teacher and another teacher from Jersey. Hip-hop was of course the #1 target and I didn't come there to defend it. I came to explore what we can do to fix the problem rather than battle with opinionated people that would rather point to a genre of music and blame it as the cancer of our society. Music is more of a symptom than it is a disease.

The environments that the artists grow up in cause them to pen their experiences and the listeners who haven't lived it have a choice to be influenced or simply entertained. The truth is there are so many negative images out there from reality TV to violent video games to movies and of course there are rap songs that degrade women and praise negativity. There are also parents that don't know what their children are doing; teachers that only desire a paycheck, neighbors that turn their head to wrongdoings and siblings and peers that guide decisions of our youth everyday. We can all look inside ourselves and see what our influences were and still are today. Rap music put me in a mood when I was younger depending on what I listened to. And yes we did have a phase of Malcolm X paraphernalia and African medallions that was inspired by hip-hop and Spike Lee's movement but it is so far removed today that these kids wouldn't accept anything close to that now. Who's to blame for radio not pushing the artists with a message in the same light they push the ignorance. I've said it before but this time I'm done focusing on what hip-hop is doing and what radio or the labels are not doing. If the kids of today are not learning and the parents of today do not care or are clueless in how to raise their children then it is foolish to blame an actor or an entertainer or a culture. Someone has to take responsibility for their actions.

For every negative verse I spew out there I can guarantee I put out 5 records with depth or meaning that can inspire or change a life. As an artist without a deal you're encouraged to make a hit. As an artist with a deal you're pressured to make a hit. As a human with a purpose and a voice you are fortunate to be able to reach people and that is something I do not take for granted.

While I was on the air someone called up and said that his boy got 20 years in prison because of a robbery inspired by D-Block's music. Luckily Styles P was listening and called up to defend himself. He stated that he knows his music is violent but he also pointed out that when he did the record "I'm Black" which was a crazy joint that he couldn't get any spins. For some reason his record "I Get High" was probably his biggest single. It makes me think there's a conspiracy to destroy this genre altogether. That's a whole ‘nother story but Styles became very passionate speaking about the world many artists grow up in and the influences surrounding today's youth that have nothing to do with a D-Block record. He pointed out the fact that artists like Talib Kweli, Common and Dead Prez don't get the same amount of airplay as some of the music that is considered harmful. And he's right. I posed the question to Lisa about the last record Hot 97 spun that was saying something. She mentioned Kanye and it seems he may be alone in that realm. Artists have made attempts but the rotation that sinks into our brains and becomes second nature is what these kids are reciting. I think T-pain and Lil Wayne are phenomenal artists but I also think there are more voices out there that need to be heard. I guess we could go on all day on this topic.

I could blab a bunch of points but the real issue is coming up with something helpful. As my popularity grows look for me to do what I can. I'm no angel or preachy rap guy, I'm not even a parent but I know how much rap music shaped me as a kid so I would like to help make a change...or die trying.

Verses the World may be out before the new March on Washington or it may not. I love controlling my own destiny. 6 more CDs to go and in my mind I may not be able to top the cohesiveness and emotion of the Stevie CD but I'm gonna continue on because I do have more to say. Stay tuned.

Jan 22, 2007
Didn't read the article but Imma' say both.....If its entertaining enough it will eventually be influential....Cause something that is truly entertaining will ultimately have an influence on the people who pay attention to it and cannot be written off as simply entertainment....

Mar 21, 2007
www.com
both

at the end, you'll know whats right and what is wrong

i do think that Dead Prez is kind of harmfull tho,

usually music like that is harmfull, because those people actually preach the shit like its the truth

fuckin up these kids way of thinking, like that guy umm whats his name,

immortal technique, dude has a lot of issues

but i also believe there's also a certain type of LIMIT

May 21, 2008
both depending upon how an individual comprehends it, personally its entertainment to me. i am my own person with my own values and what a song says is not gonna change what i believe. instead, i see it as a reflection of the artist and how they see life, whether it b guns, bitches, poverty, partying, etc.

Jun 27, 2003
both

i do think that Dead Prez is kind of harmfull tho,

usually music like that is harmfull, because those people actually preach the shit like its the truth

fuckin up these kids way of thinking, like that guy umm whats his name,

immortal technique, dude has a lot of issues

but i also believe there's also a certain type of LIMIT
what's your problem with Dead Prez and Immortal Technique?

On a sidenote I always think it's funny when people type there "uhm" and filler words like "whats his name" like you couldn't just think that to yourself than just type his name when u figured it out, haha I dunno shit just crack me up.

I'd say the shit's entertaining, but then them doodes that live out in the burbs and are bored with their lives get influenced by it. They don't have any culture, their culture is living in a big ol house wit they rich ass parents going to violin or piano classes or whatever other shit at they private schools. Them kids get bored with that shit, they listen to rap music and they see it the same way the kids in the hood see gangbangin. It's something to do, it looks more fun than the life they living.. etc. that's why you got so many white boy "gangs" (not them peckerwoods) and upper to middle class Asian "gangs" running around Monterey Park down in So Cal or Torrance, etc.

The problem with the youth today, in my opinion, is that they are reflecting a failed society. That society wants to say oh it's Hip hop, or movies, or video games. Nah, all that entertainment shit just reflects what society's like. Look at the Romans. Were they some weird ass people cuz they were influenced by watching two doodes battle to death in a stadium? Nah, they made those foos fight to death BECAUSE they was already into that type of shit. What a society finds entertaining is a reflection of that society. America aint got no kind of culture, and the actions of the youth reflects that shit, in my opinion.

May 21, 2006
it depends... some songs are influential... while other songs are entertaining... maybe even both... but the mainstream trys to be all about entertainment but usually ends up being wack.

Jan 30, 2007
its both
influential doesn't mean have to be positive.. influential means it has some effect on how you do something
if you think souljah boy isnt influential.. he is. i know he's influencing a lot of kids to be like him. hes that plus entertaining.

J:M

Sicc OG
Feb 4, 2004
^^^^ I agree, and that's why I'm waiting for the next Frontline album more than any release from Thizz, MC Such and Such from insert street here, and DJ I'M A SPAZ mixtape Volume 6 the remixes w/ bonus disc of interludes, color by numbers page, and bay area crossword puzzle.