is any one EVER gonna be big from the 206

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Aug 23, 2004
when will some true gangsta shit come out of the 206 and will actually be heard. i mean i dont here shit about seattle on kube and nothings going on.no seattle pride or anything. one day id like to have seattle be thought of somrthing besides nirvana! maybe we can do something about our city that people think is a pussy city,, PEACE!

Oct 10, 2003
Ohh shit dude,example,i am in Europe and banging IK and BYRDIE and all that,if u ask me they starting to grow alot.
D-sane gotz the mad producer skills for it,more then enough talented rappers out there in the 206.
COLA,Notes,RHS,Byrdie,Sarkastik etc etc.thats some heavy hitters if u ask me.
Its all about promoting and distiburtion,that shit is hella expensive and it takes alot of hard work.
All i know is,those who keep doing there thang always get what they want in the end/its called being percistent.

Aug 14, 2003
I'M SAYIN, IT'S LIKE ALL OF THE ARTIST FROM HERE GET OVERSHADOWED, SYKO IS ON THE COME UP AS WELL AS DZ, THIS IS GOTTA BE A START. HOPEFULLY GANGSTA NUTT WILL GET SOME SHINE TOO.

Apr 25, 2002
I gotta chip in.

I don't think it is ever gonna happen b/c to be honest, the music has been so good for so long and it still hasn't happened. I don't think the quality of music from the NW can really improve much, it is so fuckin good right now, this summer amazed me in that department, so many heaters released and then the best of them all is Crytical in December (knock on wood for that date). I have listened to underground music from all over the country and despite the fact that the CEO has been known to make an immature (hilarious) post from time to time, SLR is by far the most professional label I've come across.

Whatever the economic, social, psychological, geographic etc. forces operating preventing some of these extremely talented people from exploding all over the globe, they might just be too strong to overcome. I have started to come to this realization.

People like D-Sane & Cool Nutz just might have to retire in x years with a sense of pride that although the masses never heard their music, their product was as good as any in the industry and that they gave thousands of people in their region a tremendous amount of pride in their city and even themselves. I am reminded of the line KRS-One spit when he said "I would rather have 100,000 true heads than one million of your fake followers." Now I know the numbers aren't even this big, but these guys are in Washington and Oregon, not New York.

Now of course what could change all of this is distribution. I toured a building in downtown St. Paul today that in many ways can serve as a metaphor for underground music. The owner told us the biggest challenge is getting people to step inside the building for a look. I think this music faces the same challenge. If an investor of some sort can fund a serious distribution project, I think it could happen. I think that what D-Sane said a few weeks ago is true, that Seattle is a follower town with not enough pride, so I think the path for these NW artists might be to blow up big elsewhere and then the following ass bitches in Seattle would jump on the bandwagon. If I ever get rich enough, I will fund SLR, or another NW label that I truly believe in, any distribution they desire.

Apr 25, 2002
To answer your question, never. To be honest with you, no matter how bad you want it to happen, NW gangsta rap will NEVER bring any attention to the region. The NW has an identity, it's just not the one you want it to have.

Apr 25, 2002
Sick Wid It said:
To answer your question, never. To be honest with you, no matter how bad you want it to happen, NW gangsta rap will NEVER bring any attention to the region. The NW has an identity, it's just not the one you want it to have.
This is essentially exactly what the guy who wrote the "Is the 206 a joke" thread was saying.

Apr 25, 2002
Sick Wid It said:
I do agree with you that it is not the NW's identity. You are correct.

However , I also think that these identities can be socially constructed. That is what happened in California, which I feel has a few hard 'gangsta' spots but on the whole is no different from Washington in terms of gangstaness. I guess I feel the gangsta image of California was constructed by all that great gangster rap that came out early to mid 1990s, and that that image doesn't really reflect reality.

Aug 20, 2004
Southend_206 said:
I'M SAYIN, IT'S LIKE ALL OF THE ARTIST FROM HERE GET OVERSHADOWED, SYKO IS ON THE COME UP AS WELL AS DZ, THIS IS GOTTA BE A START. HOPEFULLY GANGSTA NUTT WILL GET SOME SHINE TOO.
DZ shinin?I dont know about all that...just cus he paid a bunch of well known Cali artists to get on his shit dont mean he can spit...it didnt work for Livio...and Liv actually has telant...why would it work for DZ????

Aug 27, 2002
www.felonyhits.com
The internet won't do shit for the Streets as far as Music goes But we can blow up in tha W making good music folks need to be more business minded and view there good music as a product like anything else consumers buy Money makes all possible yall not who lives in Seattle because K.U.B.E CAN MAKE ANY ARTIST BLOW But that's a long story,That's why i refuse to diss another rapper again well for now i 'm only riding on K.U.B.E 93 and All the jockeys except Tiffany and Drea for personal reason's.As we all know they think they are the northwest biggest stars

Apr 25, 2002
YOUNG KRIME said:
The internet won't do shit for the Streets as far as Music goes But we can blow up in tha W making good music folks need to be more business minded and view there good music as a product like anything else consumers buy Money makes all possible yall not who lives in Seattle because K.U.B.E CAN MAKE ANY ARTIST BLOW But that's a long story,That's why i refuse to diss another rapper again well for now i 'm only riding on K.U.B.E 93 and All the jockeys except Tiffany and Drea for personal reason's.As we all know they think they are the northwest biggest stars
Yeah it's my dream to own KUBE one day and put all you'all on there. Fuck KUBE and rap radio in every city for the most part.

Oct 26, 2004
Will the 206 blow up??

xpanther206 said:
Yeah it's my dream to own KUBE one day and put all you'all on there. Fuck KUBE and rap radio in every city for the most part.

I think that the twomp o six gets recognized in different cities/states in different ways.

We have alot of bomb ass artist out here!

FOR A FACT I KNOW A COUPLE THAT ARE IN THE LAB RIGHT NOW WORKING ON MAKING IT HAPPEN FOR 05' AND SO FOURTH

But also the best tool is word of mouth, you want the city get out there you help promote. TALK ABOUT IT DON'T BE ABOUT IT!

THAT'S WHAT'S UP

Apr 25, 2002
Shasta said:
TALK ABOUT IT DON'T BE ABOUT IT!
[/FONT][/SIZE]
That's the problem I do and it hasn't worked except for a few isolated examples. W/ my 500+ NW album collection and friends who like rap and have disposable income for the most part, I have netted a total of 0 sales in the past four years, even after I stopped being willing to burn stuff for them.

Apr 25, 2002
JusFamilyRecords.com
@ Everyone

It isn't about gangsta rap from the NW, it's about good music from the NW. People said gangsta rap was dead until 50 Cent blew the shit back up. It's about someone coming with the right shit, and the right connects. There are a number or artist from the NW, that are gangsta, underground, and mainstream that if they had the same backing from a major they could succeed. The problem is funding, and the lack of connects with the right people. This is what it will take for the 206 or NW to pop for that matter. Good music sells, and it doesn't matter the genre. I think that Kanye, 50 & G-Unit, Snoop, Mos Def, Common, Scarface, Jay Z, and more have proven that. The NW has some cats that can do it, we just don't have the platform yet. Nelly and Ludacris were no different the Cool Nutz and Street Level at one point. They just were in a position to be heard by people that could actually make shit happen. People aren't coming out here looking for the next hot thing, and the radio isn't really concerned with breaking the next hot thing. They want to break their friends and shit. The NW will have something big happen. Someone will come out of the region. We have already 2 record deals, and done things to get the shit started. The label that is behind you is responsible for helping you finish what you get started. I have been there.

@ Sick Wid It

I'm curious to know what is the NW sound?

May 5, 2002
Cool Nutz said:
@ Everyone

It isn't about gangsta rap from the NW, it's about good music from the NW. People said gangsta rap was dead until 50 Cent blew the shit back up. It's about someone coming with the right shit, and the right connects. There are a number or artist from the NW, that are gangsta, underground, and mainstream that if they had the same backing from a major they could succeed. The problem is funding, and the lack of connects with the right people. This is what it will take for the 206 or NW to pop for that matter. Good music sells, and it doesn't matter the genre. I think that Kanye, 50 & G-Unit, Snoop, Mos Def, Common, Scarface, Jay Z, and more have proven that. The NW has some cats that can do it, we just don't have the platform yet. Nelly and Ludacris were no different the Cool Nutz and Street Level at one point. They just were in a position to be heard by people that could actually make shit happen. People aren't coming out here looking for the next hot thing, and the radio isn't really concerned with breaking the next hot thing. They want to break their friends and shit. The NW will have something big happen. Someone will come out of the region. We have already 2 record deals, and done things to get the shit started. The label that is behind you is responsible for helping you finish what you get started. I have been there.
I AGREE COOL NUTZ.REAL CHOP.