ILLSTYLEZ.COM - Interview on Playarae & D.U.G.O.U.T.

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
www.dugoutent.com
Exclusive interview with Playarae

1.First things first tell us where you are from?

I am from The Eight playa, betta known as The 408 San Jose, Ca. Heart of the Silicon Valley.

2.Dugout Records is starting too make alot of noise, what is the roster of Dugout Records?

Well, to be honest the roster for Dugout is quite small. Our lead off artist was Gangsta Reese of Full Clip with his solo project "Full Metal Jacket", Doggmatik who is workin on his project now entitled "It's About Time" & myself workin on my project as well titled "November Rain". So, there are 3 of us as we speak and that's more than enough...too many mouth's too feed and not enough money can kill ya.

3.Gangsta Reese just released his album "Full Metal Jacket", a little while ago can you tell us a little bit about the album?

Well, the album has 15 tracks total and 2 skits. It's Reese's first solo project ever and has got to be some of the realest shyt spoken from an underground "Reality Rapper". When I say "Reality Rapper", I use that in place of "Gangsta Rapper" because nowadays there are too many so-called Gangsta Rappers...& not enough Real G'z behind that mic speakin on Gangsta Stories. Reese is the last of a dying breed in that sense. It's too easy to perp nowadays and when you hear his project you'll know otherwise.

The album is filled with club tracks, gangsta tracks, life's struggle & pain tracks...all of that. Anything you need for any occassion is there. Reese laid a thurough album. Very solid for his first solo.

4.When did you realize that the music business is what you really wanted? And what makes Dugout Records different from your average label?

Well...I always had music in me. I grew up in a house with the damn radio blarin at all hours of the day, so I had no choice. I used to sing alot and mimic the words to shyt & developed a smooth little sound for myself but never really took steps to do anything with it at all till after about 4 years outa high school. I could always write so putting words together was no thang to me. I had a few really bad things happen to me after high school, the most tragic and life changing was the loss of my best friend Johnny Rodriguez in a gang shooting in 1995. Johnny was shot and killed in my car while sitting in the driver seat listening to the radio as I tried to pull him out thru the window in a hail of gun fire from 3 gunman. He died in my arms on November 10th, 1995.

Johnny was an aspiring underground rapper who went by the name of Loonatic from HWC (Hard Way Crew). I guess you can say when he passed something was instilled inside of me that night to finally get off my lazy ass and make some fucken moves & see what I could pull of in this industry. I was smart...always picked things up fast so I said fuck it. I felt it in my heart like never before so I went at it full force trying to start small first and put small pieces of the puzzle together one at a time. I went to Multi Media School to learn graphics & webdesign to lock that part in so it would be an inhouse thing. Then I hooked up with my folks Cool Ass Rob at a record release party in San Jose which pieced together the other brain I needed & that was someone who had already dropped a cd. Rob had, we went from there & from then on...it's been like clock work. We stumble a few times here and there but never miss a beat.

What makes this label different is our diversity. We wanna do it all and we can. Yea, I said we "can" and we haven't yet. The reason is because we have the drive and the guts to take chances most folks won't out of fear the public won't respond to it well or it won't sell etc. We feel we can push anything & the longer we are inthis game we are gonna prove it time and time again. Just like one of our next projects "Mic Check - Verbal Soul Searchin". it's a Spoken Word project. Folks don't think we can push it to folks yet we gettin hit from as far as Maine by folks who want a part of it. Prove me wrong...please somebody. We went from a dope Rap Compilation mixed with cats from all over the place to a Gangsta Reese Solo cd to a Spoken Word Project? Is that possible to do without falling off? Keep an eye on us...cause we gonna prove it is and that we can do it time and time again. The indy game is a game for chances, leave the scared shyt to the big labels....they the ones worried bout the public and what kind of taste you leave in the mouths of your listeners. We take chances all damn day thats the difference.

5.In 2001 you released Hustlin City2 City (correct me if the dates wrong) feat Mr.Kee,Dutch,Gangsta Reese with no distribution but made a impact with the streets still, majority of the albums need dist too do that how did you make it happen?

You are correct and it was released on August 14th of 2001 independently with no distribution. The way we setup this thing was like a stepping stool. This was gonna be the project we used to make a statement that we were here & also that we were droppin a quality sound. We hustled this thing differently than most 408 initial releases. WHat we noticed was that most were just aiming for San Jose streets and sales to start...we were told to own your home first then expand. Rob nor I was feelin that. We felt we had something other than that. We took our hustle all thru cali, the midwest, down south & in europe.

The goal was this; if we could get one or two in each area to buy or just listen to our produc, they would like it and pass it around. We had that much faith in it. Not too mention networking skills. Muthafuckaz don't like when you treat them as another dollar or a fan. They like real shyt & real people. If you come like you a star with a cd, what makes you different than the guy accross the street sellin his shyt? Nothing. You gotta know how to talk and make a cat feel like he doin you a favor...and not you doin him a favor. We sold cats on the cd before we were half way done with recording. We had folks puttin banners on their sites for Dugout Records & our cd just by becoming friends first. We hit message boards, setup a Dugout mass e-mailing list that folks could join. Threw parties for Dugout and folks to come join in and get to know us and the whole time had NO cd out. Believe it? Please do. It worked. Folks got to know the name & new our cd was comin.

We had so many believing in us because we knew how to sell ourselves. Most folks have big mouths and it gets them in trouble...ours worked to our benefit. No boundaries playa...none. We did not let ourselves fall victim to the myth's that NorCal cats could not sell to SoCal cats or that East Coast cats wasn't into our kind. We pushed it anyway we could, that way when it dropped...we hit all of the people who had our backs and felt part of this thing called Dugout we created. It worked like a champ. I bet yall think we sold like 3 or 5,000 copies huh? Not even close...we just got in the right hands and did a major thing & that was make it REAL EASY TO GET AHOLD OF US OR FIND US. If ya needed to find us, we had e-mail addy's, a guestbook, a website, a flyer, a hotline, a messageboard anything you name it we made it easy to access us & that helped alot. Amazing what hustle can do.

Apr 25, 2002
www.dugoutent.com
6.When you released Gangsta Reese album it was on Fortune Ent/Dugout Records,can you sprinkle us with the relationship between Dugout Records and Fortune Ent?

Well we hooked with Fortune back in early 2001 when Kee had finshed his BNB Classic 14kt Dreams and was really doin alot of features tryin to blow the fuck up like he has. We met him at Club 369 in San Jose at a Record Release and he came off as a real cool cat. Found out he was Cuban and I was part Rican so we just clicked. Talked business etc and I told him I could sing & whatever...then we swapped #'s. A few weeks later we hooked up in the Rich (Richmond) and my cousin Joe Rico and I were gonna try and lay some vocals for one of his tracks called "Who's Comin Home With Me?". It turned out that the track need to be layed like real fast cause Julio wanted to hear it done and see what Kee had, so we really didnt have time to lace it like we could & should have. Not too mention this was my first real time trying to record vocals and it wasn't the most ideal time to learn ya dig? (giggling) Anyway...needless to say it didn't go down but we kept ties and ended up gettin Kee to feature on our comp HC2C with his folks & now mine Dutch & Shady Shay.

They came to the studio laid the track and it was on from there. We all became good friends and kept in touch quite a bit and did a show in Santa Cruz together etc. So, when Fortune Ent was thrown the opportunity to become a Sub Dist. of Bayside they gave us our first opportunity. We decided to take a chance and see how our young ass company would do nationwide. It's been cool. A very nice learning experience and just giving us another notch in the lessons of this business. I have also designed the F.E. site as well as a Showcase ad for them a while back so we do other thangs together as well. The relationship is strong between us...and we got alot of love for them cats. They've taught us alot.

7.The album is a classic of that year too me, were the record sales as expected?

1st of all thanks for the compliment. The record sales are average I can say and that is alot considering how horrible the music market is right now. Folks just aren't buying music these days like they used to especially underground bay shyt. We've promoted our asses off every weekend since the release and have done all but drag people to the store physically. After all of that all you can do is hope they hit the store and make the purchase. To answer your question however, we did expect more sales and I guess that is gonna happen even when we sell our 1st million...we're gonna expect 2 million. Who knows. Just keep on pushin, thats all you can do.

8.The fans and I would like too no what you have lined up for us for 02 and 03, can you speak on a few of the albums in the works?

Right now we have alot in store. We are working on our 1st Spoken Word Project titled "Mic Check Verbal Soul Searchin"...which will feature alot of upcoming poets, rappers, hip hoppers etc. including David Banner, K-Rino and more. It promises to be BIG. Also in the works and damn near finished is HC2C Vol.2 which may turn out to be a doulbe cd with us already having 24 tracks total. The lineup ranges from Mr.Sche from Tennessee to U$O from Denmark to Syko in Seattle and then some. Man, we hit spots folks thought we couldn't hit and it's gonna be a blessing when Vol.2 hits the streets...yall are gonna love this. We also cut down on the BIG feature list and kept it to the real up and comers makin noise.

In 2003 We shall be releasing another Dugout Camp album intitled "We Move In Silence" as well as Doggmatik's Solo & mine. It is gonna be a busy year and a half I tell ya. Keep up with us because it's gonna be hard!

9. Is there any shot outs that you wanna give out? And thanks for your time for this interview.

I just wanna give shots out to all those who stuck with us and kept their mouths shut when we hit our ruff times in the latter part of last year. That was our hardest moment and we cut alot of ties due to drama. We are passed that now and have come a new again. Also a shot to Bayside & F.E. for the love & helpin hand. A shot to my crimey Cool Ass Rob who may be a silent one and in the cuts but man do you not know what this man is cookin up business wise for us...he is a money maker. Last but not least our Dugout OG Board members at the Dugout Site: Heitic, Cutmirez, Sydal, AntDawg,Young Joe, KrazieOne, Gemini, Doom, Ike Real, Fukemiftheyhate, Thirsty B, II SICC, ViewofAOD and of course Sweet916 and her ontourage of Ladies of The Dug! I love these gurls with all my heart man, they help me keep my sanity and not to mention show me and Dugout more love than I ever thought we could recieve from folks. Thanks yall...you know I bust ya balls for a good reason! One love and stay Dugout.

Look for Dugout Records artist on these up and coming albums,

Sinways Makes Paydays (Sinister Records)
Skrilla Warfare (Money Tree Records)
Wut Liez Beneath (Abducted by Alienz Muzik)
Young Cap (Blaze One Records)
Cucizy (Unkown Muzic)
Droop aka Mr.Sinn (Sick-N-Twisted Ent)
Doxx Comp (...Apt.3 Maybe)
Killa Sharks 3 (Crazy Times Records)
Gemini (2 Face Ent.)
NorCal.com (Sidwayz Muzik)
Bart 2 91Siccness (Tact Out Muzic)

plus more....

interview done by: Paso of illstylez.com

Aug 5, 2002
www.myspace.com
Gotta give you props Rae... and all of those that are on the label or work with them... I don't think anyone ever realizes what exactly goes into producing a song... or promoting it... until they feel it or see it first hand...

Keep doin' what you do best my folks! :lick:

Apr 25, 2002
www.dugoutent.com
GAME!!! Gawd Damnit....I was just waiting for someone to say what you said, cause I felt like I did forget someone...I apologise man. Damn, how could I forget you for all the hustle you doin in Kentucky for Dugout & this Spoken Word Project. I truelly apologise, it was not intentional pimp...a mere fuck up on my end!

PR.