If you see anything wrong here...

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 25, 2002
Sergeant Hustle said:
I agree with what you are saying, but they do in fact have the right to protest affirmative action if they like. Freedom of speech must go both ways regardless of how wrong the other side may seem.
With me the issue isn't if they have the right to because under law they can but I'm just questioning there thought. I have no problem with white only scholarships but to think your taking jabs at AA is silly.

May 5, 2002
www.karliehustle.com
I'm the first person to defend Affirmative Action, and to take jabs at it is ridiculous, but for me to be able to say that and protest against the banning of AA, I have to allow others to protest its existence. Some minorities feel that AA is disrespect (like the Puerto Rican cat in this case who is protesting it) because they feel that it sets the bar for minorities lower. Like it's a handout...."you aren't smart enough to get the job/get into the college on your own, so here....we're helping you". I disagree with that logic but I respect the fact that that is where some people's ideology comes from. I feel that minorities in this country, specifically Black folks, have been cheated out of the same educational opportunities for hundreds of years. If AA didn't exist, it would be like a race with weights tied only to certain people and not others, but expecting the people with the weight on their backs to run just as fact as those without. It's not logical.

Apr 25, 2002
UNCF and other African American type scholarship funds out there were not jabs at white people who had opportunities that blacks could only dream of, but they were simply put up to work around what they couldn't do. These scholarships were for the intelligent black students who didn't have the money to attend Universities because there parents were denied equal opportunity of work ala Jim Crow Law. And there were other ways of obtaining scholarships. But it was a sense of pride for a group of people that literally had nothing, they were not apart of the consitution when it was written, they did not reap any of the benefits of slavery etc.

Again I have no problem with a White only scholarship, but I think it's funny to attack AA because even though the policy may not seem fair you have to look back at history and look at how yall (not YOU personally but collectively) got to where yall are today. It damn sure wasn't by allowing other groups around you to have equal opportunity whether it was here in the U.S., South Africa, Congo even in Australia with the Aboriginees etc. Thats what I see funny about the whole thing...

May 5, 2002
www.karliehustle.com
Understood and points well taken. I think any use of a white scholarship is in defiance of AA and other black or minority driven scholarships without it being said. Since it has been said in this situation, it makes it worse? That sentiment is always underlying in any white pride or white-only initiative...mocking the struggle of folks who didn't have an equal shot from jump. I agree the ideology is fucked up in terms of doing it to spite AA, but some people don't understand the history behind it and therefore they act upon their ignorance as in this case. But ignorance is legal , and so they can be. It is often encouraged and preferred that you don't know too much in this society anyway. When you do, you usually get fired or murdered.

Dec 25, 2003
No doubt, ethnic-based scholarships and loans do in some instances make for payout college admission. The question isn't whether every single mexican, female, or black person rides to college on a government-induced happy trip, it's whether some do. If you disagree with the fact that 'some do', you must use the same sweeping logic as the affirmative action protesters, which is in fact blanket statements.

Is anyone surprised at this though: Instead of creating a comprehensive, useful, thoughtful protest and intellectual attack of affirmative action, they result to Mclimbaughism and put together a poor show such as this. This, and the Texas bake sale where cookies for Whites were 1.00, Mexicans .50, etc., presents the best intellectual silo at this institution by the Republican party. Mclester will most likely support this, based on a support for the notion that "hey, that's the best we could think of? Idiot shock value tactics! Raise the terror alert level while you're at it!"

May 5, 2002
www.karliehustle.com
You're right, the basis of the "protest" is stupid but they are getting national attention for it. I'm not sure if they would have acheived the same level of hype had they had a peaceful protest or some other cliche way of dealing with their dislike for AA. But to the average white hillbilly (and there are A LOT of them), these guys are geniuses.

May 8, 2002
Sergeant Hustle said:
If AA didn't exist, it would be like a race with weights tied only to certain people and not others
correct^^^^

but instead of tying weights to the others (whites and asians) to make it even we need to work on taking the weights off of the ones who have them (minorities).

two wrongs dont make a right!!!!!!

May 8, 2002
Tenkamenin said:
Again I have no problem with a White only scholarship
i do.

but them again i also have problems with Hispanic and/or black only and/or other minority only scholarihips

in my opinion scholarships should be based on

1st---> intelligence
2nd--> need

Apr 25, 2002
Mcleanhatch said:
correct^^^^

but instead of tying weights to the others (whites and asians) to make it even we need to work on taking the weights off of the ones who have them (minorities).

two wrongs dont make a right!!!!!!
The older I've gotten the less I've cared about Affirmative Action, however theirs no denying that we still have a problem. I would agree that two wrongs don't make a right if the damage wasn't so severe. Unfortunatley the damage has been done, you can't go back and re-erase the Jim Crow Law in the South or the "Black Codes" that happened in the West.

I honestly don't think Affirmative Action is enough to amend the things that have been done. Something much greater needs to happen. I can't deny there are other ways for black folks to succeed, they just need to WAKE UP.

Mar 18, 2003
I think they're both wrong. One the one hand you have minority groups offering a scholarship to only a minority; while that sounds good, if you think about it, what they are really saying is that anyone but white people can be eligible. In that sense they are terribly wrong, they should have focused on income levels or housing projects. On the other hand you have some dumb ass white kids who have no moral backing whatsoever with their scholarship. They offer it as a racially motivated defense mechanism, which is a big reason why afirmative action exists in the first place.

If I were a part of the minority scholarship organization I would target low income neighborhoods where minorities are most prevalent. And if I were one of these dumb white boys, I would be more nationality-specific and not offer a scholarship based on skin color.

::shakes head::

May 8, 2002
Nitro the Guru said:
One the one hand you have minority groups offering a scholarship to only a minority; while that sounds good, if you think about it, what they are really saying is that anyone but white people can be eligible. In that sense they are terribly wrong, they should have focused on income levels or housing projects.

If I were a part of the minority scholarship organization I would target low income neighborhoods where minorities are most prevalent.
[/B]
agreed^^^^^

Nitro the Guru said:
And if I were one of these dumb white boys, I would be more nationality-specific and not offer a scholarship based on skin color

On the other hand you have some dumb ass white kids who have no moral backing whatsoever with their scholarship. They offer it as a racially motivated defense mechanism, which is a big reason why afirmative action exists in the first place.
[/B]
it was a hispanic kid. i think the article said he was a Puerto Rican.

but this is something that was only done in protest of AA.

it wasnt a serious scholarship. if it were a serious proposal i too would, as i said earlier call it wrong. but since it was only done as a protest to AA I see it as a legitimate way to get a point across.