I Need CD info: Original (97-98) vs Repress (2008)

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Oct 9, 2007
www.Travlyrics.com
We found some of my original "5.0 REASONS" CDs and Vinyl (1997-98) in storage. A few CDs are still shrink-wrapped, others are unwrapped, never played, traycard intact, no insert (I can explain why later). Vinyl is in white sleeves.

We've sold about 20 CDs over the past few weeks, so I know what the Originals are worth?

I see a few folks on Siccness.net have requested "5.0 REASONS" over the years. and believe me, I know how rare the CD is; not to mention the vinyl and cassettes.

Good music never dies, so after these are gone, we're thinking of adding 4 unrealeased tracks and repressing the "5.0 REASONS" album for Collectors.

I want to add 4 tracks, because 10 songs is a very short album compared to today's standards.

These are my questions:

Are the Original CDs (97-98) preferred over Repressed CDs (2008)? Why?

Does extra songs matter?

Should we add extra songs or keep it as is?

We have the original masters. Does that matter?

As a collector, what would make sense for you? We want to maintain a premium price for the "5.0 REASONS" Album.

Thanks

Aug 18, 2002
As a collector I'm always going to want the original press but I would also think about buying the re-release if it had extra tracks. If the 2008 version had no audio difference I'd probably just leave it alone. On this CD in particular I let it slide from me a couple times over the last 7-8 years but wish I would've just paid the $12 and brought it home...I know it's value has risen a bunch over the last 2-3 years. Do you mind me asking what you're selling them for?

Feb 21, 2006
www.trunkmuzik.blogspot.com
Sup Black Ice,

if you re-release the album, i think you should re-press them with 4 extra tracks so that way people with or without the album will go out and buy it. what i mean is...collectors who already have the original album will be interested in the re-release too since theres 4 extra tracks on it. AND those without the original album (who have been searchin for a copy for many years) will rush to buy the re-release just to have it also. so yeah, re-releasing it with 4 unreleased tracks would be a smooth move

by the way, do you have anymore vinyl left over? i use to own a copy way back but it got stolen from my crate at a party. ive been trying to find another copy since then. let me know if you have a couple vinyl i can buy...i can paypal you or whatever. get at me, i sent you a Private Message with my contact info. peace.

R8R

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
As a collector id love to see og stay Og and re-issue with bonus tracks its own set of inserts and what not this way the OG keeps its value somewhat....

Mar 29, 2006
925 Deep East Bay
Damn! I still have your snippet cassette from 98. It has snippets of the following tracks on it:

3Ds
Life After Rap
5.0 Reasons
Step Away
Kitchen Magician
Still Slippin
? I Gotta Do
Parking Lot Pimpin
Livin In The Town
Stepped On Stepped Over

I never could find a tape or CD with the full tracks on it. Was it ever released?

L-wood said:
As a collector I'm always going to want the original press but I would also think about buying the re-release if it had extra tracks. If the 2008 version had no audio difference I'd probably just leave it alone. On this CD in particular I let it slide from me a couple times over the last 7-8 years but wish I would've just paid the $12 and brought it home...I know it's value has risen a bunch over the last 2-3 years. Do you mind me asking what you're selling them for?
Original prices were:
$20USD+s/h Original CD w/o promo insert
$30USDs/h Original CD sealed

Then this happened. Our most recent sell was to a French guy, who put one on Ebay. It sold for $70. We decided to pump the breaks, do some homework, and let the market decide on these last few original pieces.

Auction history.
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZganxtaQ2dfunk

We created this ad for Myspace after the find.

Written '92-'95. Finished '96. Released '97

Mexicalian82 said:
Damn! I still have your snippet cassette from 98. It has snippets of the following tracks on it:
I never could find a tape or CD with the full tracks on it. Was it ever released?
Man, I forgot about the snippet tape. I can't find the words to express what it means to me, that you still have the snippet tape.

The album was finished in 1996. Released 1997 locally in stores and online (but who was online in 1997?). I put 1998 on the art, only so the project would appear "newer".

Clearly my timing was off. Gangsta was King back then. Yeah I'm from the bottom of Richmond, CA, but my content was borderline anti-gangsta. People didn't know where to put me. I wasn't "hard" enough for the Killers, Gangstas, and Dope Dealers; and although 5.0 REASONS was polished, I wasn't popular or ballin enough for radio play. So I was sent to limbo.

Like everybody else, we did shows and hustled CDs; until my Graphic Design Business consumed the majority of my time.

I apologize for the essay. I don't get to talk about this shit too much.

Mar 29, 2006
925 Deep East Bay
YaBoy Black Ice said:
Man, I forgot about the snippet tape. I can't find the words to express what it means to me, that you still have the snippet tape.
If I remember right, I picked it up for free at a local CD shop (Rock Bottom in Antioch) when I bought something else. I used to listen to it all the time even though it was just snippets. You had some tight beats on there bro. I was hella anxious to get the full album, but I never did find it.

If you want, I can upload the tape so you can download it. Let me know.

Thanks, but its okay.

Mexicalian82 said:
If I remember right, I picked it up for free at a local CD shop (Rock Bottom in Antioch) when I bought something else. I used to listen to it all the time even though it was just snippets. You had some tight beats on there bro. I was hella anxious to get the full album, but I never did find it.

If you want, I can upload the tape so you can download it. Let me know.

Thanks, but I'll be okay. Eventually, I'd like to have a copy for the official "Travlyrics Hall of Fame" or "Shoebox of Success".

FYI: Download Four Free Tracks and my entire catalog + all the feature I could find at http://www.travlyrics.com/irap.htm