How times have changed!

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 20, 2002
I'm getting up in age so I've been listening to music for a while.

I was listening to the radio last night and I heard NSYNC with
Nelly!!! I guess it's a hit!

Anyway, it blew my mind! NSYNC is the equivalent of New Kids On The Block for this generation.

Nelly is probably the equivalent to let's say a mix between Hammer, Ton Loc, Young MC , with a little Bel Biv Devoe

But even they would have NEVER done a song with The new Kids On The block!

How come it's cool to do it now??? Have we become programmed? . If it's on KMEL and TRL and VH1 it must be cool right? FUCK THAT!

M

MrFreeze

its not cool! there both mainstream sellouts so they probably wanted to combine there fan base to make more money. they both fuckin suck if you ask me.

May 21, 2002
www.dugoutrecords.com
It's because as society becomes more 'advanced' - everyday people are dumb-downed and are accepting mediocre, trite, nonsensical, trash because they eat what they are fed. Anywhere as far as the media outlets go, you hear watered-down hardcore pop..the record executives are pushing it at an alltime high because it sells - to whom? To women. Women are the downfall of Hiphop - once the Middle-Aged White Jewish Record Executive who listens to Barry Manilow realized that if you make music for women, the men have to buy it as well to make them happy - you can double the market, that's the decline of Hiphop. That's just one of the many problems with our music these days - no one else sees it, or wants to do anything about it - they stand on the sidelines and let the QB become intercepted.

Apr 25, 2002
yeah it's some Jewish cat who's the downfall of hip hop
eat a dick gamerec...

anyway one of the dopest hip hop groups ever did a song with NKOB - Nice And Smooth

man like Tre 8 said
i wanna go back to the days where Heavy D and Fresh Prince got as much respect as NWA and Public Enemy

May 17, 2002
Times have hella changed, thats why I keep "Born to Mack" "New Jim Jones" "U.D.I"...........(The list goes on) in steady rotation all the time!!

Apr 25, 2002
To think anybody is 'programmed' or 'brainwashed' is completely fucking ridiculous. I always hear people saying shit like this, usually fans of Bay Area rap... People like what they like, don't get pissed off cuz you don't like it... Of course people listen to what's on MTV and KMEL and shit... Do you expect them to go into a store and buy up some shit like IMP or Ray Luv when they've never heard of them? You can pass out all the flyers and hang up all the posters you want, but if people haven't heard the music they're not going to pay attention.

May 20, 2002
G-Dubb said:
To think anybody is 'programmed' or 'brainwashed' is completely fucking ridiculous. I always hear people saying shit like this, usually fans of Bay Area rap... People like what they like, don't get pissed off cuz you don't like it... Of course people listen to what's on MTV and KMEL and shit... Do you expect them to go into a store and buy up some shit like IMP or Ray Luv when they've never heard of them? You can pass out all the flyers and hang up all the posters you want, but if people haven't heard the music they're not going to pay attention.
Exactly!!! Who decides what gets played? Not us!! So when the average rap fan goes into Tower guess what he's gonna buy?
Ja rule!

There is alot of talent in the Bay that nobody will ever know about because nobody will be givin the chance too..

That's all I was sayin! I bet if you played some of Ray Luv's new shit on KMEL people will dig it! the boy is dope!!!! But I don't think
Clear channel I mean KMEL will give it a chance. Why?

Money talks and bullshit walks... I'm off to San Leandro...

Rene

Apr 25, 2002
No, we (Bay rap fans) don't decide who gets played, because out of all the rap fans in the Bay, we're the minority. How many people do you think are calling in to KMEL requesting Bay rap? More people than there are requesting Ja Rule? I doubt it. Will KMEL even have a radio edited Ray Luv 12" to spin if everyone calls in to hear it? Maybe, but I wouldn't expect it... It doesn't seem like many (if any) Bay rappers press wax for DJ's.

Is anyone really trying to get play? I always see people passing out flyers and putting up posters, but who cares? If you haven't already heard of that person you're probably just gonna throw their flyer away. It would make more sense to press up some wax for the radio stations & some snippet CD's that say "Call KMEL and request _____!"

I ain't mad at KMEL for doing what they're doing... They play what MOST people wanna hear... There is a lot of talent and I would think more rappers could probably get radio play (a few weeks ago I'd hear Mr. Kee or E-40's new tracks every time I turned on the radio,) if the stuff was marketed and promoted better.

M

MrFreeze

i been thinkin about this shit...

and the way you become a succesful in the music biz is by makin shit to attract alot of people. one way is makin shit you can play on the radio like nelly and nsync do. we may not be fans of theirs but im sure they give a shit less. 2pac said once that you make music for the women and the guys will all follow. very true. perfect example is these two. most guys wouldnt care if they got hit by a bus but HELLA females are into thier shit. of course most of them are 15 but still. so by makin females there target adience they can almost garunteed of an equal male fan base. more females listen to the radio then males (at least the ones i know) cuz us guys like to bump our cd's of tight shit instead of finding a radio station that plays even halfway good shit. females on the other hand like that mainstream love song bullshit that polutes the airwaves. so they hear all that nelly shit and eat it up. sucks for us but i cant knock nelly and all the others hustle cuz, shit, thier gettin paid and id do the same shit if i was makin hella bread.

Apr 25, 2002
@2NV- I wouldn't say it's lose-lose, but they might be able to get some play if their promotion tactics were different. When The Mighty Quinn came out I saw snippet CD's in stores and hella people handing em out, and they gave the song to KMEL... That got play for a while...

@Freeze- It probably doesn't help either that hella Bay Area shit always has some shit about pimping hoes, slapping hoes, etc., not many females are trying to hear that shit.

May 15, 2002
www.oaklandbanshees.com
And the radio stations can't even play all the hardcore shit but lots of Bay artists come with an album and usually there is 1 song that is "clean" enough to be played on the radio. But I think the bitches from the Bay listen to more underground shit than anywhere else in the US. Most of the girls is other areas (that I know of) only listen to the radio, nothing else. Atleast the bitches out here (again, that I know of) be bumpin that BAY KNOCK

May 21, 2002
www.dugoutrecords.com
YOUNGMOE said:
yeah it's some Jewish cat who's the downfall of hip hop
eat a dick gamerec...

anyway one of the dopest hip hop groups ever did a song with NKOB - Nice And Smooth

man like Tre 8 said
i wanna go back to the days where Heavy D and Fresh Prince got as much respect as NWA and Public Enemy
Re-read what I said. I didn't say that a jewish person was the downfall of Hiphop - I said females were.

Jun 4, 2002
bitches aint the downfall of anything... and hip hop will never totally "fall down". bitches is definitely contributing to the increased faggery, but i got more of a problem with these so called "thugs" than with any pea-brained tramp.

if you judge the state of hip hop by its record sales & radio spins, then hip hop never had a heydey to begin with. but back in the early to mid 90's at least most of the mainstream rap still had a conscience or message. nowadays the shit on the radio is like a dried up fruit. there aint no juice for your mental to savor... its all the same ole "platinum bling balla i'm a super thug killa killa killa drug drug drug but wait i'm a sensitive thug who wants to sing to 13 yr. old britneys.. its murdaaaaaa" say whaaaaaaaaat?!

that shit is NOT hip hop. it's pop music (pretty pathetic even by pop standards) that has been manufactured & is targeted to the average becky watching trl.

then you got your real hip hop cat who is sittin on stacks of shit like nickatina, 40 water, ras kass, big L, devin, the coup... for cats with real knowledge of hip hop music there aint even a question of judging hip hops current state by what is getting played on mtv or radio.

you don't go to your dentist to ask questions about your car do you?

the quality material is existing parallel to the bullshit. it always has been & always will be that way. but since the record biz is all about the chips, companies are going to be behind the shit they think will sell the most.. so thats why we got a shitload of generic ass niggas like nelly, fabulous, ja rule, etc. cause the market aint ran out yet for niggas in the "gay thug" category. but it will, it always does, and niggas who know the difference between that gimmick shit & real hip hop won't even blink when it happens.. we'll still be diggin for that raw shit.