How the DEA came to Exist.

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 27, 2007
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]
US CA: Letter from Debra Triplett, November Coalition to MAP

URL: How the DEA Came to Exist By Debra Triplett

[/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] Newshawk: http://www.november.org/

Pubdate: Sun, 23 Mar 2003
Source: Letters to MAP (The Media Awareness Project of DrugSense)
Author: Debra Triplett[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] I've never smoked pot. I've never taken illegal drugs. The key word is 'illegal'. I take prescription pain pills for the metal plate in my neck...

I was raised to believe that we did all that we could to obey the law, and to respect our elders. Now, I believe that the law needs to learn to respect us - the people that make this country... While I've not chosen to smoke pot does not make me any better than a person that chooses to smoke it. People who chose alcohol and drive drunk, kill someone while doing it, then confess to their AA meetings does not make them saints, nor should they hoard it over a person that is addicted to meth simply because their drug of choice is "legal."

Many, many years ago, while the Chinese labored toward making the railroads, the government could not determine who to tax for the opium houses. They formed a task-force to collect taxes, following their decision to tax the opium houses, not the end-users. When it was decided that these drugs were to be declared illegal, they kept this task-force, and it grew into what we know today as the D.E.A.

It was ignorance then, and it is ignorance now that keeps the government and their "war on drugs" in business. They manufacture FEAR as a means of keeping the American people from educating themselves as to the true issues in the world today, instead keeping themselves in high-paying jobs where they are allowed to bully us and deprive us of our rights.

I personally appreciate the website, www.mapinc.org, as well as organizations such as the November Coalition, and many others, those who, in a tireless effort, attempt to spread some sort of sense into the American people.

As an advocate in California for people with disabilities, I fully understand the hard work and long hours put in by these dedicated advocates. I hope that some day people like my own brother will reap some benefit from our efforts - he is spending 21 years in federal prison for $240 worth of meth. If nothing else, perhaps we can at least save some of our future generations from similar terrors.

[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica] (The November Coalition is a grassroots organization that is fighting the "War on Drugs." I volunteer as an advocate and assist ex-cons in adjusting to life following incarceration.)

http://www.november.org/WAState/KCBA2005Conf.html

[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]