How MUCH are you worth?!

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 6, 2006
Just a simple question of worth.

What would you charge a music peer for a feature? Services period? Whats your going rate? Shows? What do you expect in return?

Me personally, I have this saying "the people tell you whatchu worth". So with that said, I believe that the MAJORITY of what I do is considered PROMO until the 2nd album is in position (the 1st is just a tinkle in my eye right now). So, I got another year worth of a lot of promo work to put in. And if I scratch your back, I expect the same done in return.

What about you?

Apr 6, 2006
Exactly. But status to what extent?

You mean because E-Dawg, Nutz, S.P., Nonstop, Mr. DOG and others are gettin rec, I should pay more for their feature? Understandable to a certain degree, but there's an issue with that: IN MY CASE, I CANNOT ALLOW MYSELF TO DO IT JUST FOR ME. I love the music...believe that...but it's not my primary source of income. And Im not doing it JUST for myself. I wanna see someone in the Northwess get spins AT LEAST at home, likeEastcoast and South niccas do on OUR stations.

Cost dont indicate quality. I got that quality shit, and I got it for CHEAP. Im workin feature for feature. If I move, you move. Period.

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
I wouldn't pay any of the artists above shit for a feature. That's actually laughable.

I would pay for production, because you have to, that's how the business works, if you want that fire production you have to pay for it, but not a fucking feature.

Let's just say if I was a famous artist and a very successful artist and someone wanted to feature me on their album, and their music was DOPE AS FUCK, I would jump on that shit and network with them I wouldn't even charge them. That's just who I am, I'm about making good music.

If it was wack, I wouldn't collaborate, it would be something like step your game up then get at me again.

I wouldn't care what the price was.

I think when I see artists paying big bucks to feature other artists is a major sign of weakness. If your doing a solo album, better yet a solo debut album, you better have 90% of that shit you with maybe one or two features. Besides production ofcourse.

So to awnser the questions though.

Nothing.
No.
Nothing.
Not sure.
Nothing.

If someone thinks I'm dope and they want to feature me and they make GOOD music. I'm honored to feature. But I'm not going to charge some cat whos just trying to come up but I'm definitely not going to jump on anything, I'm very selective with music.

Oct 28, 2005
www.myspace.com
Mr. Samos said:
I wouldn't pay any of the artists above shit for a feature. That's actually laughable.

I would pay for production, because you have to, that's how the business works, if you want that fire production you have to pay for it, but not a fucking feature.

Let's just say if I was a famous artist and a very successful artist and someone wanted to feature me on their album, and their music was DOPE AS FUCK, I would jump on that shit and network with them I wouldn't even charge them. That's just who I am, I'm about making good music.

If it was wack, I wouldn't collaborate, it would be something like step your game up then get at me again.

I wouldn't care what the price was.

I think when I see artists paying big bucks to feature other artists is a major sign of weakness. If your doing a solo album, better yet a solo debut album, you better have 90% of that shit you with maybe one or two features. Besides production ofcourse.

So to awnser the questions though.

Nothing.
No.
Nothing.
Not sure.
Nothing.

If someone thinks I'm dope and they want to feature me and they make GOOD music. I'm honored to feature. But I'm not going to charge some cat whos just trying to come up but I'm definitely not going to jump on anything, I'm very selective with music.
Very rarely do i quote something in its entirety and co-sign it....but......damn. Well spoken.

If an Artist isn't willing to swap verses with me, then they can go fuck themselves. That is the bottom line. There are OTHER tricks that can be worked out--paying for studio time and giving them the left-over hours, buying beats from "their" producer (resulting in a finders fee for them), and so on. --- But money-for-verses....not going to happen.

On the issue of how much do I charge? Same shit. Its a Trade/Freebie or its Nothing.

With that all being said, I am not going to do verses for, nor do i want verses from, artists that are not going to be out there and doing shows and REALLY DROPPING projects.....not just swearing they have 5 albums coming out this year, then they drop one crap-ass CD-R and upload the rest online.

Now.....How much am I worth? I'm worth my weight in Gold and then some. No question about it.

Apr 6, 2006
KALYN said:
How much you got..?

:lick:

You creatin a lil sexual tension, dearie. :D
*grips broomhandle and sweeps*

Anyways...

DS...I feel that. Harsh an uncut as you put it. I still feel it. One of the issues I see (and I refuse to fall victim to) is lack of being prepared. If my shit aint ready, Ima sit on it. I aint shoving some half-ass undone shit in your disc-tray talkin 'bout "play me!" Thats silly.

I wont hold out on another mufucka either. If I go, I gotta go hard for you, yuhdig?! If I shine, we shine. Feature for feature is the way to gain exposure. I keep tellin some of these nobody niccas that make beats that they needta just chalk it up. Shoot some fire to a rapper or two who GOES and add it into their advertising costs. Marketing or somethin. Words on a beat many carry it somewhere your instrumental couldnt go...like a club.

Jan 30, 2005
www.myspace.com
i disagree . . . somewhat, if both of you are at the same point in your career, yeah swap'em, but . . . if you haven't done what the next man has, - shows & tours, paid for promotions & advertisement, invested time AND MONEY for a few years, i think u should come out your pockets. i dont think the 'bus stop CDR rappers' should trade verses with artists that have been puttin in the work. but some times an established atrist will get down with an 'unknown' if your dope enough, i've seen it plenty of times, . . . if your dope. but if your gettin yourself started out here and everybody with a name is tryin to bop you over the head with prices you cant afford . . . your shit might suck.
music is an art, but its also a business, if they think its a good investment to do a track for free, you can probably spit some shit, your probably hustlin your music, or your the homie. but you gettin charged $500 & up for a verse and you cant even get down on their mixtape . . . ??? draw your own conclusion.

and on a different angle, . . . create an economy, if everyones payin for their shit, every one gets paid! i think thats one of the few things that are holdin the NW back. everyone doin shit for free, who's gonna make any money? the more money = more opportuintys for exposure. i think it would thin the herd a lil bit too. the NW is oversaturated with rappers half assin, one way to stop that - pay your way. invest in your career and to NW rap. theres enough money for everybody to eat if your good at what you do. and if you still aint gettin nowhere your in the wrong business. everybody cant be a rapper, and everybody shouldnt be.

Apr 6, 2006
thirdeye253 said:
and on a different angle, . . . create an economy, if everyones payin for their shit, every one gets paid! i think thats one of the few things that are holdin the NW back. everyone doin shit for free, who's gonna make any money? the more money = more opportuintys for exposure. i think it would thin the herd a lil bit too. the NW is oversaturated with rappers half assin, one way to stop that - pay your way. invest in your career and to NW rap. theres enough money for everybody to eat if your good at what you do. and if you still aint gettin nowhere your in the wrong business. everybody cant be a rapper, and everybody shouldnt be.
True as fuck to an EXTENT. But of course I gotta rep for low budget niccas in the Wa.

You should know better than that tho. Graphics, right? (Ima holla atchu) But you PROBABLY didnt start chargin niccas hard right out the gate, did you? I mean, that would suck knowin that now-a-days every nicca with some half-assed art skills got photoshop 7 w/ all the plug-ins and can use it decently enough to make somethin lookin good. Or (if you're like me) you got the bootleg 10 w/ the dating issues. If you all you've got under your belt is some PROMO shows and a couple mixtape freestyles, why would you even have the audacity to charge?

I understand that you mold and shape your economy, but should NICE niccas (and chicks) be penalized on quality product because they're broke? And you say it would weed out the half-assin, but the niccas half-assin is spendin up a lot more cake now! Them "bus stop" niccas is shellin out clams for studio time, duplication, websites, mixing, graphics and the whole nine but they MAY still be boo boo. I dont care what you add to shit stew, carrots, potatoes, beef and all that, it's still SHIT!

I dont know why I voice my opinion so adamantly, and frankly some of you may be tired of my posts, but I try to look at things full circle. I consider myself nice. Period. End of discussion. If the nice niccas is crawlin from outta rocks and creepin outta shadows, like I did, how is that artist to be treated?

Jan 30, 2005
www.myspace.com
MrSniccrs said:
True as fuck to an EXTENT. But of course I gotta rep for low budget niccas in the Wa.

You should know better than that tho. Graphics, right? (Ima holla atchu) But you PROBABLY didnt start chargin niccas hard right out the gate, did you? I mean, that would suck knowin that now-a-days every nicca with some half-assed art skills got photoshop 7 w/ all the plug-ins and can use it decently enough to make somethin lookin good. Or (if you're like me) you got the bootleg 10 w/ the dating issues. If you all you've got under your belt is some PROMO shows and a couple mixtape freestyles, why would you even have the audacity to charge?

I understand that you mold and shape your economy, but should NICE niccas (and chicks) be penalized on quality product because they're broke? And you say it would weed out the half-assin, but the niccas half-assin is spendin up a lot more cake now!

I started out doin everything and anything i could for free, and once people started to recognize what i could do for their product i started chargin, and ive been at this for 6 years now. i busted my ass and now i have some shit to show for it. now i wont even open photoshop (still a bootleg) for free.

if your dope you dont need features, you need hustle. or if you've been puttin all sorts of chips & time in to your career, for a few years and still aint sellin enough cds to eat, you should think about a different profession. or put your time & money into someone cats are feelin, invest in them.

if you've been slangin cds like crack for a couple years, doin shows (in & out of town), workin hard, and you got a good buzz in the streets, i think you should charge some one who hasnt done the same. be rewarded for your hard work.

a new artist has to build a resume, for free most of the time. if your gonna do any thing succefully you gotta GRIND & HUSTLE, eat, sleep & shit your craft. i dont think anybody just startin out should even buy features, let yourself shine. and build that resume. open up at any show you can, bug these promoters, get in their ears and hustle. perform in front of 5 to 5000 people, and when your not on stage, be in the crowd hustlin your cd, and when they leavin be out front doin the same, and if they dont buy a cd give'em a flyer, make yourself known, dont give'em an option. i go to a lot of shows, anybody i see rappin, i give my card & flyer, and find the next one.

Oh yeah, i peeped your tracks man you got some shit, your dope, keep hustlin man. get at me when your ready.

Apr 6, 2006
thirdeye253 said:
I started out doin everything and anything i could for free, and once people started to recognize what i could do for their product i started chargin, and ive been at this for 6 years now. i busted my ass and now i have some shit to show for it. now i wont even open photoshop (still a bootleg) for free.

if your dope you dont need features, you need hustle. or if you've been puttin all sorts of chips & time in to your career, for a few years and still aint sellin enough cds to eat, you should think about a different profession. or put your time & money into someone cats are feelin, invest in them.

if you've been slangin cds like crack for a couple years, doin shows (in & out of town), workin hard, and you got a good buzz in the streets, i think you should charge some one who hasnt done the same. be rewarded for your hard work.

a new artist has to build a resume, for free most of the time. if your gonna do any thing succefully you gotta GRIND & HUSTLE, eat, sleep & shit your craft. i dont think anybody just startin out should even buy features, let yourself shine. and build that resume. open up at any show you can, bug these promoters, get in their ears and hustle. perform in front of 5 to 5000 people, and when your not on stage, be in the crowd hustlin your cd, and when they leavin be out front doin the same, and if they dont buy a cd give'em a flyer, make yourself known, dont give'em an option. i go to a lot of shows, anybody i see rappin, i give my card & flyer, and find the next one.

Oh yeah, i peeped your tracks man you got some shit, your dope, keep hustlin man. get at me when your ready.

Thanks fam. I'm tryna get my ducks in a row. And once my project is 75% you are my guiding light (I got mad questions, b).

I know whatchu mean tho. Thats why Im tryna build my resume up in stride with the region. Spreadin MY sound, spreads OUR sound. Thats why I talk that "I'll work PROMO on ANYBOYBODY's shit". I want niccas to hear my shit and be like "I wanna use his sound on a song" Workin together more often we're creatin a web that will have the whole Northwess tangled into it, in some way or another.

Mar 25, 2003
www.myspace.com
i completely agree with 3rd eye on u have to work at ur craft and at first do ish for free, as i did for videos when i first got started. as far as paying artists for collabos i think u have to look at it like this...if u pay Twista or Paul wall for a verse and then u promote the song the cd most likely will sell more just off the strentgh of their names. If you would have put out a cd with paul wall, mike jones or slim thug on it right when "still tippin" dropped you would haved more then likely sold more units then a cd with just yourself featured on it. That is of course looking at it from a purely business perspective, for newer artists i would say work at ur craft and keep grinding until artists start to recognize you and will be more likely to meet you halfway on a feature. people in this industry give respect where its due and allot of times you may have to break bread on traveling, videos, or marketing yourself to let others know you even exist.

Aug 27, 2002
www.felonyhits.com
This is a JOB And Hustle so Business is Business sometimes you got to let things fall in place,Let the lord and faith guide you to where ever or whatever or even however you do what you do to be successful and most of all make you and your peoples fans and all happy at the end of the day.............

Apr 6, 2006
YOUNG KRIME said:
This is a JOB And Hustle so Business is Business sometimes you got to let things fall in place,Let the lord and faith guide you to where ever or whatever or even however you do what you do to be successful and most of all make you and your peoples fans and all happy at the end of the day.............
Spoken with outward prestige.