How come KMEL stopped playing local artists?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

206jb

Sicc OG
Nov 17, 2009
Fucc kmel...I remember bacc n the day when I would go down to the bay I wouldn't even listen to my CDs..I would just turn on the radio. Now they sound just like the stations up here.

Sep 12, 2005
I don't listen to the radio too often, but to be honest, every time I have turned KMEL on in the last few weeks, I do hear bay songs. I hear Erk Tha Jerk "Right Here" the new E-40/Too Short song and songs by Laroo and the Jacka too. It is true that they play too much watered down shit, I also hear the same beyonce or rihanna or new boyz song too, but at least they're playing some bay shit. You just gotta make a hit for them to play it.

Dec 3, 2009
fuck kmel and the radio.. since they play gay music..
i don't listen.. and everyone should boycott them..
so they can't make any money off advertising..

the real mutha fuckaz.. need to start their OWN radio station.. and play real music..

fuck the weak shit.. im sick of this..
radio gets no support from me

Handz

Sicc OG
Jan 28, 2006
I stopped listening to the radio when XM and Sirius came out...nobody listens to the radio not even 14 year old girls their on facebook :)

May 5, 2005
Im not saying that , but everybody knows money talks. Radio is a business not a hand out. Its boils down to who can make the station money (Record label advertising space) The lil waynes, the gucci's mans record labels PAY for advertising space with CBS and Clear channel if im not mistaken, thats why the get spins. I dont like how it goes down my self and i feel it damages local talent and makes it harder to get exposure, but are you going to whine about it and be pissed or are you going to find different avenues such as getting your music to Dz Nutts, or Sac town radio, or KPOO, or KPFA, or college radio.....GET IT ! Kmel and 949 are only 2 stations, but there are a lot more in the Bay on a smaller scale that will give you the opportunity your looking for and if people took more advantage of the community/internet stations you can create just as big of a buzz as big radio in your region.
I see what you saying but KMEL used to be the most unique station in the country. They did care about the community and local artists. The Dj's were actually dope on the turntables and played all kind of local artists. The fact bay area artists have to go way out to sacramento or go up to tiny radio stations like KPOO with a weak signal is foul. KMEL has a huge audience and people all over the country know of it or used to.

If people don't speak up on the bullshit antics nothing will ever change. Being content with their wack way's and just saying "oh well it is what it is", is why this shit continues. Erk the Jerk , Jacka etc, basically owe their exposure to KMEL becuase they made the much bigger than just remaining how they were. At one point there was a gang of local artists with more exposure than they are getting. I think yall tend to Underestimate the power of a major local station.

May 5, 2005
No I agree with you bro.... But this is like the 100th thread like this... Making this topic Sour Milk
I feel you, I'm just in a bad mood today, I think i'm going to just subscribe to XM in the ride. I can't take Scotty Fox and his wack ass gucci mane mixes anymore. He needs to stick to house music, because he's trash. All them fake ass dj's up there are garbage. I miss Franzen and Glen Aurie etc.

B.C.

Sicc OG
Mar 12, 2005
It's all about the money with a lot of these stations. There are a lot of good hungry up and coming artists out there that have good quality music that can't get air play. To me their quality is better than some of the artist that are getting air play. But it's stilll all about the money. I remember when I used to do marketing and promotions for AWOL Records and I used to call all of these radio staions that I sent out singles to. I had a conversation with a program director at one of these stations and told me he likes the music and he like's C-Bo but you gotta pay to play. What he told me always stuck with me.