How come Double R Richie Rich wasn't successful in the mainstream?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

BFIWB

Peasant
Feb 12, 2008
That other Pac thread got me thinking why wasn't Richie Rich successful when he got signed to Def Jam? He only did one cd with them and then all indie shit after that.

Jan 1, 2006
There were a lot of Bay artists that looked promising when Pac was around... Guess they all fell short after his death. Look @ the Outlawz, even though they weren't from the Bay they sorta fell off.

Richie Rich is still the shit IMO, But I feel on you that. Same with the Whoridaz

Mike Manson

Still Livin'
Apr 16, 2005
He was workin on a second album on Def Jam, but I guess they treated him like all the other Westcoast Rapper that where signed to em, so that he left...

Still got a promo vinyl from Def Jam with two songs that he then released officially after he left...

Feb 4, 2005
Def Jam fucked off alot of westcoast rappers at that time, didnt they also have Jayo Felony? I think they wanted a quick cash in on Pac and when his album only when gold they slowed down his projects.

BASEDVATO

Judo Chop ur Spirit
May 8, 2002
I've also heard Richie Rich blew a lot of advance money on studio and did not deliver on his fallow up music.

Jayo and Rich coulda of been huge way bigger then there one/two hit wonder mainstream appreance's

I thought the Outlaws where going to be major post Pac( I was suprised no major label grabbed them) but Pac after all was there mentor, and leader and really had them step up there game on tracks. After pac died Outlaws seemed to lack there song writing ability, and beat selection.

Feb 4, 2005
I've also heard Richie Rich blew a lot of advance money on studio and did not deliver on his fallow up music.

Jayo and Rich coulda of been huge way bigger then there one/two hit wonder mainstream appreance's

I thought the Outlaws where going to be major post Pac( I was suprised no major label grabbed them) but Pac after all was there mentor, and leader and really had them step up there game on tracks. After pac died Outlaws seemed to lack there song writing ability, and beat selection.
Well remember they had all that internal beef which resulting in Hussien leaving and getting his verses taken off of songs. I guess majors didnt want none of those politics affecting sales. I was hella pissed when Fatal wasnt on the albums although i understand why he left. But didnt the 1st 2 albums go plat and gold?

Feb 12, 2008
i thought RR album on def jam was good too I bought that shit and liked it. He reworked the Lay Your Head on My Pillow track(which is a classic in itself) and had the video with TBoz and shit. So i bought his next cd The Game and that has to be the most disappointing cd i ever bought the best song on there was that's what i ain't gone do.

Dec 13, 2003
i use ta sellll crack rock but now im an emceeeeeeeee....... that shit slapped. the cd overall wasnt that great tho. cant really blame richie rich on this one. Def Jam is notorious for dickin people they sign unless they got dummy hype behind em.

Mar 3, 2008
I was thinking the same thing when i read the pac post. Richie Rich is a street guy he ain't gonna rap for peanuts though. Basically that is really messing the game up, labels aren't going to pay anybody no real money right now because when 50cent,busta rhymes and other big names flop they are shaking in they boots. If Rich would of followed up on time and appear on other peoples albums after 96 on the reg he would be mention with the b-legits, figaz, keaks at least.

Mike Manson

Still Livin'
Apr 16, 2005
Def Jam fucked off alot of westcoast rappers at that time, didnt they also have Jayo Felony?
Yea, Jayo Felony got fucked as well. Same shit as RR. Also got his promo vinyl from Def Jam for the second album which was never released. Those songs then made it to Crip Hop. In the booklet he also talks about what happened (for example that he pissed in the elevator on his way out and shit lol). WC also got fucked on Def Jam.