How are you promoting your CD???

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 17, 2002
www.xianex.com
Chief 'N' Hay said:
I've found that understanding your target market will help you promote a hell of alot more effectively....

promo materials have to get into the hands of potential buyers... if you pass out flyers don't try to give one to everyone you see... it's better to build a good foundation first.... I've found that different acts have different strengths... My album "the 30 day theory" sells 10 times better to women than men when i'm hustlin' face to face... call it what you want to... but i'm more likely to get a cd off to the ladies and high school crowd because they aren't as judgemental. Plus, if you go with a sure sale it draws more attention to your camp. When a group of people approach you and you're hittin em up with flyers and posters and cd's... if you can get someone interested right off the bat you are more likely to double your sales, as opposed to approaching the wrong person and having the whole group lose interest... i think that's more of a promotional/sales/marketing scheme than anything.... but i do see so many cats waste time and money passing out promo materials that seem to get tossed ninety percent of the time.... if you pay 300 chucks for some flyers, try to get your money's worth... by pushing for a sale with every flyer passed out.... i only leave a small stack in retail stores because i'm better off if i pass the flyers out face to face.... My record label used the "sex sells" tactics for my last album.... the posters have the "Eargasm Girls" with medicine man in the background, and the flyers are similar with Eargasm's Miss Tiza taking up the main focus of the flyer.... first time listeners are more likely to grab a poster based on the fact that there are fine females on the front... and same for the flyers.... since dudes 18-25 seem to be the hardest sales... it makes them feel better about taking a flyer/poster for their own personal reasons.... (fine females instead of interest in the music) then when they do see the flyers, posters, or cd's in stores they will definately have to double take... i've sold more cd's to people that had my posters in thier house prior to hearing my music than i've sold to potential customers who took a poster with them after buying my cd....so my advice is to promote smarter not harder... if you're flyer looks like everyone elses it's more likely to get tossed... you've got to have something that says, "keep me"

med man

The realest shit he ever wrote!

Jul 27, 2005
www.myspace.com
I would just like to thank the people who posted they knowledge in here. It is definatley priceless. As for my promotion, its a bit different as I am selling my beats instead of a cd. We hit up the managers, the REAL business men and women. I think too many people get impatient and waste they hustle on people who will never drop a cent. You can't hesitate to drop a few notes on promo IMO cause when the right person gets ahold of it there's your connect. All it takes is one. From there your connects are infinite.

Y-S

Sicc OG
Dec 10, 2005
well i'd say that if you got connections, you could get your local radio to play your cd or one of your songs, or in other way, you could pay some money to radio to play your stuff

Jul 26, 2005
Aye one thing u gotta have is good social skills when your selling cds face to face in the streets. U gotta know how to take no for an answer as to someone who really is broke u gotta kind of be able to tell who got money and who really don't when they say sorry I'm broke because have the time they lien because people usually always gonna think yo shit is weak right off the bat. Telling them to buy the cd is the last thing I do when I approach someone I put it in there hand let em look at it for a sec let em see its me tell em bout it and get em all interested then tell em its only this much.

Feb 2, 2006
shit me personally i bought cds of a lot of cats in person to support they hustle cuz im trying to do the same shit right? but then now all i got is they cd and i never hear of them again. it seem like a lot of cats just sell they cd in person and dont got shit else to promote. i definetly think in 08 you need a myspace at least so when u do a show or have a slap on your cd that people want to hear again they can hit your myspace. after that have your shit on your own website and get some magazine features so people can see you because otherwise you will be forgotton.

my patnas from "the pack" they actually made it so ill tell u what they did. i seen them i think actually off this message board right here "The siccness" they had a little website in 04 for their music and i went to it because they was from berkeley. turns out i know them thats my skateboarding homies i used to skate too shit. lloyd he had hella beats up there and they had a song called "btown greatest" or some shit. i was in college at the time in chico so i was hella juiced it was cats i knew that was rappin. i come back from college and go to they house and do a track they showin me they myspace - (this is like 05 before i even knew what myspace was) shit was POPPIN! these muh fuckas got hella bitches hella fans listening to their shit every day. they was all through berkeley putting out they cd when it finally dropped they had like 8 or 9 albums done already too. so i guess finally too short got wind of them and it was a wrap.

but see they hopped on the new shit - they was myspace rappin before anyone was doing it. you gotta figure out some new shit not just the same ass plain ass shit. if they hadn't been creative with their promotion i doubt they would have made it. on top of that once they were on they took their own style and now everyone dressin punk rock from here to new york so its all possible if you think creative and stay positive.

MALKI

Sicc OG
Feb 2, 2006
ay i was on the internet the other day and i just want to share some information i found. you know how you be on myspace getting your plays each day but you never can find out who is playing your songs? or if you got a "free download" up and it gets a bunch of downloads and all you can see is how many times its been downloaded but not who downloaded it? thats killing you.

you need to get the e-mail of every person who is listening to your stuff and build you a fat ass mailing list to send updates every time you (have a show, post a new song, release a new cd, come out with a video, etc) because if you can't stay in contact with people who checked your music out your going to have to look for new people every time. thats a lot harder than going back to someone who already checked your product out and liked it, and bought it or didnt buy it but were planning on it. if you don't contact these people 9 times out of 10 they will forget about you or whatever and you will lose a possible sale. you need to find a way to get these peoples contact information.

every time you do a show see if you can have some type of giveaway where people gotta sign they e-mail to get it and whatnot or have something on your website where they can download your songs free if they sign up. It will be much easier for future sales if you build a mailing list.

I used to work for this lady when i was a kid who is a musician and she makes a living off it - which is what i think everyone is trying to do. basically the ONLY job i used to do for her was update her mailing list. every time i come over there 2-4 hours updating her mailing list. she had a lot of contacts that she contacted about shows, cds, and other events every time and i think that is probobly 90% of her business. so if your serious about this shit start keeping your fans contact information

oh yea perfect example of someone who needs this is my patnas "Teamknoc" if you go on they myspace they get tons of plays every day and go look at they "free cds" i think they got 1 cd its got maybe 4,000 downloads and the other one got 2,000 or something. think about if they would have made those 6,000 people sign their e-mail in order to download their music. they would have 6,000 people they can instantly contact about shows, new releases, videos, (call my song and request it!) whatever instead of just putting the music up there.

Oct 8, 2004
t-shirts

bandanas

sticcers

posters

1 sheets

world wide spread paccages

online promotions

magazines

local television promos

radio

you tube

street teams world wide

clubs

AMERICAN NIGHTMARE COMING SOON

EVRYTHING DUDE WAS SAYIN IS DOPE YOU DEFINITELY NEED A STREET TEAM
AND SOMEBODY TO HELP YOU PROMOTE ONLINE BUILD A GOOD REP WITH THE STORES KEEP A GOOD REP WITH FANS AND STAY IN THEIR EAR WHEN EVER YOU CAN. ITS ROUGH BUT ITS A CONSTANT GRIND IF YOU AINT GOT NO MONEY AND NOTHING TO DO YOUR LYING LOL ITS ALWAYS SOMETHING YOU CAN DO ESPICIALLY IF YOUR INDEPENDANT.
:siccness:

http://WWW.MYSPACE.COM/ALIASJOHNBROWN http://REVERBNATION.COM/ALIASJOHNBROWN

Oct 8, 2004