How are you promoting your CD???

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Mr Ceza

Xplosive Magazine
Jul 10, 2002
Tell me some of the ways you are promoting your CD. I know, everyone does the flyer thing. Most do posters, flats, stickers. What else? Radio commercials, TV commercials, bus stop benches, whatever. Share some of your methods and the results you feel you got out of it. :siccness:

well heres some tips

internet and getting ure album seen everywhere possible also if they dont know u flyers mean nothing so hit off mad people with free sampler cds.....you gotta approach people and try to get on their tours etc etc....................those are my only tips for the day

May 13, 2002
www.myspace.com
I've found that understanding your target market will help you promote a hell of alot more effectively....

promo materials have to get into the hands of potential buyers... if you pass out flyers don't try to give one to everyone you see... it's better to build a good foundation first.... I've found that different acts have different strengths... My album "the 30 day theory" sells 10 times better to women than men when i'm hustlin' face to face... call it what you want to... but i'm more likely to get a cd off to the ladies and high school crowd because they aren't as judgemental. Plus, if you go with a sure sale it draws more attention to your camp. When a group of people approach you and you're hittin em up with flyers and posters and cd's... if you can get someone interested right off the bat you are more likely to double your sales, as opposed to approaching the wrong person and having the whole group lose interest... i think that's more of a promotional/sales/marketing scheme than anything.... but i do see so many cats waste time and money passing out promo materials that seem to get tossed ninety percent of the time.... if you pay 300 chucks for some flyers, try to get your money's worth... by pushing for a sale with every flyer passed out.... i only leave a small stack in retail stores because i'm better off if i pass the flyers out face to face.... My record label used the "sex sells" tactics for my last album.... the posters have the "Eargasm Girls" with medicine man in the background, and the flyers are similar with Eargasm's Miss Tiza taking up the main focus of the flyer.... first time listeners are more likely to grab a poster based on the fact that there are fine females on the front... and same for the flyers.... since dudes 18-25 seem to be the hardest sales... it makes them feel better about taking a flyer/poster for their own personal reasons.... (fine females instead of interest in the music) then when they do see the flyers, posters, or cd's in stores they will definately have to double take... i've sold more cd's to people that had my posters in thier house prior to hearing my music than i've sold to potential customers who took a poster with them after buying my cd....so my advice is to promote smarter not harder... if you're flyer looks like everyone elses it's more likely to get tossed... you've got to have something that says, "keep me"

med man

May 13, 2002
www.myspace.com
all in all, it really depends on your budget.... I'm not afraid to say that I came into the game with very little. It only makes for a better success story. My advice to someone dropping their first album is to promote within your means. Exhaust all options that are feasable. If you concentrate too much of your time and money in the wrong area. (magazine ads for instance) no offense.. lol... your promotional budget could be improperly managed. Magazine ads sell records... but sell records to established fans. A magazine ad will not establish fans... quality music, and smart promotion will establish fans and then magazine ads will let established fans know when your next album will be dropping... all the while you will be promoting to new potential fans alike. I read the book "Ruthless Self Promotion"... i forget the author's name at the moment, but there are plenty of pages filled with quality info that any aspiring artist/company can utilize. One more thing that i've found to be very successful is.... Creating a street team... i'm sure that sounds like second nature... but seriously.... it's better to have a 10 person street team that really loves your music and helping you out, than having 1000 people that are really only in it for some free shit... I've got cats at numerous local high schools, skate parks, junior high schools that help promote my albums... the biggest problem i've seen with indy rap artists... they can't seperate artistry from business... so instead of being business minded and attacking the potential market from the inside out.... they are too busy worrying about who's buying thier music... i don't give a fuck if a 90 year old woman buys my album.... that's bread either way.... you've got to learn to seperate business from the artistic side.... if high school girls like your shit... sell it to high school girls... it doesn't mean cats on the block aren't gunna bump your shit.... ya feel...

well i've already said too much.... keep hustlin'... maybe this will help someone out....

med man

Mr Ceza

Xplosive Magazine
Jul 10, 2002
Good Shit Chief!! Anything you do in print (Magazine Ads) back up what your doing on the streets. If you have bben all over the Bay Area-San Francisco, Pittsburg, Vallejo, Oakland, Concord, then print backs you up, solidifies your hustle, like see, even this newspaper said this, or this magazine said that. Its not the first thing I would do, but when you get to a certain point, you have to be seen in the most popular Magazines.

May 13, 2002
www.myspace.com
i feel you 100%... I'll be at you when the time is right... If you haven't heard of Med Man and the skills, then the time isn't right just yet lol... When's the next time you guys are gunna put that spotlight on sacramento again? We should connect when that happens... I've got the hook-up on some pretty fat interviews if you need any more connects in my area. get at me bro..

med man