Hotmail, No Inbox?!

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 6, 2009
Windows Live e-mail outage creates scare
Users sent incorrect message they have no inbox; problem fixed for most
A "temporary outage" of Microsoft's MSN, Windows Live and Hotmail services resulted in users being told they didn't have an e-mail inbox when they signed in, and they also were directed to sign up anew for e-mail.

Microsoft said late Thursday night that users' inboxes — and e-mails —are "safe," and that the problem was due to an "incorrect message" that was sent out during "routine maintenance." (Msnbc.com is a joint venture of Microsoft and NBC Universal.)

The problem has been fixed, Microsoft said, although "some of you are still reporting problems signing in. Our staff is working on getting the sign-in problem fixed as soon as possible."
Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here

"If you are seeing a message that you 'don’t have an inbox, the message is incorrect," the company said on its blog. "Your messages are still intact on our servers, and you will have access to them again as soon as this temporary outage is resolved.

E-mail customers were both frightened and frustrated by the outage, with some thinking it was caused by an Internet virus or worm.

"OMG! I was absolutely panic-stricken all night!" one user said on Microsoft's blog. "This morning I am both celebrating and feeling wiser. My project today is to get all that 'valuable' info mined out of those saved e-mails and onto paper!

"I thought that I had lost everything, like eight years of contacts," wrote another.

"Rest assured that your inbox is safe!" the company said on its blog. "The incorrect message was sent out, caused by a networking issue that we encountered while doing routine maintenance. We have corrected the problem and you should be able to access your Hotmail and other Windows Live services again now."