Hits Daily Double Estimated Sales For Tech Next Week..

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Kain

Sicc OG
Jun 16, 2004
#2 rap album in the country. tripled the sales of Triple C's...and they had Def Jam backing them and heavy rotation on BET.

diggin' it...
I wouldn't be so sure, Identity. It's not as simple as counting the Hip-Hop and/or R&B releases on the "200" to calculate the Rap and R&B/Hip-Hop charts. Using that method, the last few Tech albums would've been around 3rd but placed 6th instead.
Told you. Despite HDD indicating that, as you put it, K.O.D. tripled the sales of Triple C (which is funnily ironic)... it's Triple C that is Number 2 in the country in terms of Rap (K.O.D. sits at 3rd). It also only placed #7 on the Hip-Hop/R&B chart, seeing Triple C, Whitney Houston, Brian McKnight and a few others above, despite again, HDD indicating K.O.D. outsold these releases last week.

Yet, both of those charts, as well as the 200 are "ranked by sales data as compiled by Nielsen SoundScan." It seems it's only the 200 that is a straight rank based solely on total sales within a week. No idea what factors into the other charts the give such strange results.

... and to round things out: 14 on 200, 1 on Independent, and 16 on Digital Albums.

Aug 26, 2002
www.missouri.edu
Yet, both of those charts, as well as the 200 are "ranked by sales data as compiled by Nielsen SoundScan." It seems it's only the 200 that is a straight rank based solely on total sales within a week.
indeed, the top 200 has been strictly soundscan since the early 90's. or soundscan and, until a few years ago, digital sales? shit i forget.

the rap/hip hop and rap charts include radio plays i think. if it's anything like the top 200 used to be, then a sample of radio stations send in a ranking of who they think are the hottest.

record stores used to do the same thing and that's how the top 200 was determined until the early 90's. a lot of researchers think rap would have started making chart moves much quicker in the late 80's if it was based strictly on sales because store owners often overlooked rap releases

i had to figure this shit out when i was working on my masters thesis and will need to do it again when i work on my PhD dissertation in a couple years. Confusing as hell, especially given how often it changes and how quickly the industry has changed with the internet and with legislation that was passed at the end of the 90's. gives me a headache...