Hip Hop Songs about Jazz?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 18, 2005
Hi, I am currently in a teaching credential program and will be teaching about the Jazz era and the Harlem Renaissance in an 11th grade US History class. I am brainstorming different ways to approach the unit and am considering using hip hop as a way to introduce this period of cultural change.

Are there any hip songs that lyrically address the Jazz Era, the Harlem Renaissance, and key figures of each period? I am also thinking about using hip hop songs that use recognizable Jazz samples, but lyrically I thought it would be an interesting way for them to be introduced to the names and contributions that constituted these periods. Any suggestions or thoughts are welcome, thanks.

Feb 5, 2006
Hi, I am currently in a teaching credential program and will be teaching about the Jazz era and the Harlem Renaissance in an 11th grade US History class. I am brainstorming different ways to approach the unit and am considering using hip hop as a way to introduce this period of cultural change.

Are there any hip songs that lyrically address the Jazz Era, the Harlem Renaissance, and key figures of each period? I am also thinking about using hip hop songs that use recognizable Jazz samples, but lyrically I thought it would be an interesting way for them to be introduced to the names and contributions that constituted these periods. Any suggestions or thoughts are welcome, thanks.