Hip Hop Album Sales: Week 7/25/2010 (Hiphopdx breakdown)

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 25, 2010
Hip Hop Album Sales: The Week Ending 7/25/2010
by Jake Paine

July 28, 2010 at 9:12AM EDT

Rick Ross and Eminem battle for the #1 spot, but who gets it? Usher climbs nine spots, and The Roots crack the 100,000 mark.

Eminem's Recovery just will not budge from #1. Rick Ross gave Slim Shady a run for the money however. The Miami rapper debuted at #2 with the praised Teflon Don release. Scanning just under 177,000 units, the Def Jam rapper's fourth official album features work from veterans such as No I.D., DJ Clark Kent and Cee-Lo. Drake's Thank Me Later fell to #4, as Sheryl Crow's latest album debuted at #3. The Toronto rapper still motions towards its million-mark.

Usher's Raymond v. Raymond climbed an impressive nine spots. The veteran Pop entertainer's "divorce album" is marching its way to a platinum plaque for Mr. Raymond and his longtime backer, LaFace Records. The album will feature two deluxe/additional material releases next month. Outkast's Big Boi bumped one spot to #15. The Atlanta Hip Hop pioneer is 10,000+ units shy of the six-figure mark with his critically-acclaimed Def Jam debut, Sir Lucious Left Foot: The Son of Chico Dusty. The release features artists such as T.I., Gucci Mane and Too Short, with production from Organized Noize, Scott Storch and Lil Jon.

* Please note: figures below approximated to nearest thousandth.

Top 200 Album Sales (Top 5 Hip Hop/R&B)

Rank Artist Album This Week Est. Total
Eminem
Recovery

Rick Ross
Teflon Don

Drake
Thank Me Later

Usher
Raymond v. Raymond 21,000

Big Boi
Sir Lucious Left Foot: The Son of Chico Dusty

The Roots' acclaimed How I Got Over release crossed the 100,000 mark. The Def Jam release features extended Roots family Dice Raw, Truck North and others, in addition to Blu, Phonte and Peedi Peedi. Damian Marley & Nas' Distant Relatives album remains a Top 75 album, working its way to 200,000 units.

Former Young Money and No Limit Records artist Curren$y slid to #86 debut with his Def Jam-distributed Pilot Talk. Produced by Reasonable Doubt architect Ski Beatz, and featuring Mos Def and Jay Electronica, the New Orleans emcee cleared over 10,000 first week units.

Paul Wall's latest, Heart of A Champion moved to #124. The Swishahouse/Warner Brothers/Asylum release featured surprise collaborations courtesy of Jay Electronica, Raekwon and Kid Sister. The release fell just shy of a Top 50 debut. Meanwhile, despite critical acclaim and plenty of anticipation, Capone-N-Noreaga's War Report 2 is in the last 15 spots of the charts. Executive produced by Raekwon, the EMI-distributed project features Nas, Busta Rhymes and several personnel carry-overs from CNN's acclaimed 1997 first War Report.

Rank Artist Album This Week Est. Total
The Roots
How I Got Over

Damian Marley & Nas
Distant Relatives 5,800

Curren$y
Pilot Talk

Paul Wall Heart of A Champion 3,800

Capone-N-Noreaga The War Report 2 2,500

Will Fat Joe go Top 5? Can Slum Village get the fanfare necessary to make another album? Stay tuned to HipHopDX to find out.

Hip Hop Album Sales: The Week Ending 7/25/2010 | Get The Latest Hip Hop News, Rap News & Hip Hop Album Sales | HipHopDX

Jul 25, 2010
True, but many of the artists on this list would have done platinum instantly back then. Now, only Eminem and pop artists are doing those kind of numbers.

Feb 10, 2006
Shit I haven't even heard em's shit yet, prolly never will he has no intrest 2 me anymore jus fell off, shit like hiz last three albums, I didn't bump 2 em

Ricc ross also, dude jus bores me

I do like that big boi album tho, he's still dope 2 me

Feb 10, 2006
Shit I haven't even heard em's shit yet, prolly never will he has no intrest 2 me anymore jus fell off, shit like hiz last three albums, I didn't bump 2 em

Ricc ross also, dude jus bores me

I do like that big boi album tho, he's still dope 2 me

Feb 8, 2003
pretty sad to see that CNN album do that low of numbers, was a good album
They not relevent no more tahts why.

Im shocked Usher isnt platinum yet bc they play the shit outta OMG & THERE GOES MY BABY every where.

I bet Eminem & interscope buys his own shit top make his numbers look even higher bc i when im in the hood I havent heard not one person in the hoods bumping eminem. all i heard was a few preppy kids driving playing it in intersections thats it.

Jul 25, 2010
They not relevent no more tahts why.

Im shocked Usher isnt platinum yet bc they play the shit outta OMG & THERE GOES MY BABY every where.

I bet Eminem & interscope buys his own shit top make his numbers look even higher bc i when im in the hood I havent heard not one person in the hoods bumping eminem. all i heard was a few preppy kids driving playing it in intersections thats it.
Thats because statistics show that 98% of hiphop/rap records are sold to white men & women. Look at the audience at any famous rappers concert, shit matter fact, any rapper. The audience is 95% white.
Which would be the reason that you dont hear anyone playin that shit in the hood. Em doesnt make hood music either.

Jul 27, 2009
go out to wherever the white boys hang out.

im not an em hater, but this album was weak as hell.

Feb 8, 2003
Thats because statistics show that 98% of hiphop/rap records are sold to white men & women. Look at the audience at any famous rappers concert, shit matter fact, any rapper. The audience is 95% white.
Which would be the reason that you dont hear anyone playin that shit in the hood. Em doesnt make hood music either.

Bullshit about only whites buying black music theres plenty of street niggas in the hood bump waka, gucci, oj, yo gotti, rick ross, 8 ball & mjg, styles p & jadakiss, gorilla zoe, Wayne, drake thats all i been hearing all this year in the hoods. This not the 90s no more

I ask mass of my niggas do they fuck with the new em album and they all say no i dont bump that goofy shit.

Jul 25, 2010
Bullshit about only whites buying black music theres plenty of street niggas in the hood bump waka, gucci, oj, yo gotti, rick ross, 8 ball & mjg, styles p & jadakiss, gorilla zoe, Wayne, drake thats all i been hearing all this year in the hoods. This not the 90s no more

I ask mass of my niggas do they fuck with the new em album and they all say no i dont bump that goofy shit.
Im not saying that they dont bump it, they just dont BUY it. We're talking about record sales here.

Feb 23, 2003
EMINEM APPEALS TO WHITE AMERICA.. IF NOT 1 BLACK PERSON BOUGHT HIS RECORD THATS NOT GONNA HURT HIS SALES TRUST ME

Jul 22, 2008
www.youtube.com
EMINEM APPEALS TO WHITE AMERICA.. IF NOT 1 BLACK PERSON BOUGHT HIS RECORD THATS NOT GONNA HURT HIS SALES TRUST ME
white people really dont give a fuck about his music like that anymore

at least not the ones i know

my take is that the label bought most of the albums, he still has a shady/aftermath fan base but i doubt anybody really takes em seriously anymore