Highly Touted Tailback Scott leaving Colorado

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 13, 2006
Darrell Scott chose the Buffaloes over a group of other suitors, including Texas, Florida, USC, Michigan and Penn State. Dan Hawkins is fuckin up the program, can't help his injuries tho. Looks like he's headed to UCLA.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4620608

BOULDER, Colo. -- Sophomore tailback Darrell Scott, the biggest recruiting prize in coach Dan Hawkins' four-year tenure at Colorado, is leaving the program after 1½ seasons filled with injuries and frustration.

Scott told The Associated Press on Tuesday that he's planning to finish out the semester in Boulder as he decides on where he'll transfer, but he acknowledged UCLA remains a strong possibility

Before this season, Scott's uncle, wide receiver Josh Smith, transferred from the Buffaloes to UCLA, where he is sitting out the year.

"They have a really good program," Scott said of the Bruins. "I've been watching them for a while."

Scott was considered a coup for the Buffaloes when he selected them over Big 12 rival Texas and other big-time suitors two years ago.

But the 6-foot-1, 220-pound tailback never lived up to the hype in Boulder, in large part because of injuries. He had arthroscopic knee surgery on Oct. 22 to clean up cartilage after getting hurt in the second game of the season at Toledo.

Injuries also forced him to miss playing time as a freshman, when he was slow to grasp the college game after a stellar stint at St. Bonaventure High School in Ventura, Calif., which he led to a state championship as a senior.

Scott said he has no regrets about picking Colorado, however.

"You can't turn back the hands of time," explained Scott, who said he plans to meet with CU athletic director Mike Bohn on Wednesday. "You've got to do what you do. I chose to come here."

Scott, a dynamic kick returner even while he was fighting for snaps in the backfield, declined to say whether he was dissatisfied with his role in the Buffaloes' offense.

"I think it's the professional thing to do," Scott said.

Scott was contending with Rodney Stewart and Demetrius Sumler for playing time this season. He had just one carry in the season opener against Colorado State but showed flashes of his ability at Toledo when he gained 85 yards on 12 carries. He also set a school record for the most yards on kickoff returns in a game, finishing with 204 on eight returns.

But he dinged up his knee in the Toledo game and didn't play the next week against Wyoming when he aggravated the injury during pregame warmups.

Scott had a combined 10 carries over the next three games before undergoing surgery.

He said his knee is "healing up really good" as he progresses through rehabilitation. Scott was looking at an outside chance of a return Saturday against Texas A&M.

That is, before his announcement.

Hawkins said in a release Tuesday that Scott was leaving for "assorted personal reasons" and thought he would be transferring closer to his Southern California home.

The Buffaloes are off to a rough start this season, slipping to 2-6 after a loss to Missouri last weekend.

As for sitting out the rest of the season, Scott said it will be a difficult assignment.

"But at the same time it will motivate me to do what I have to get done, which is finish strong on the grades, get this knee right and hit the weight room," Scott said. "I made a lot of friends over here. Buff Nation is amazing. I'm going to miss it -- I can tell you that much."

Mar 16, 2005
Hawkins making this program worse. So much for being a saviour. he never utilized the #1 recruit, he leaves his son in too much, and he fucked up the redshirt year and progress of the current starting qb. he needs to be bought out and let go as of yesterday

Feb 13, 2006
^^^^
I agree with everything you said Scary. Why pull Hansen's redshirt?

Who would you like to see succeed him.
I'm thinking maybe Eric Bienemy, Dave Logan, or maybe Mike Shanahan???? Doubt Shanny, but maybe their is a coordinator from Texas, Florida, LSU, or somewhere like that.

Mar 16, 2005
^^^^
I agree with everything you said Scary. Why pull Hansen's redshirt?

Who would you like to see succeed him.
I'm thinking maybe Eric Bienemy, Dave Logan, or maybe Mike Shanahan???? Doubt Shanny, but maybe their is a coordinator from Texas, Florida, LSU, or somewhere like that.
dave logan would be a smart move to gain local trust again. Eric Bienemy may ne more of the same. He has a history of not getting along with his own rb's he coaches wonder how he would do witha full team?