Help with beats

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Dec 10, 2006
So I'm trying to get into producing and I obviously have a LONG way to go and a lot to learn but I made 4 beats and I would like some opinions on them. Constructive criticism would be nice, that way I know what to work on.

Beat 1 uses the same sample that Roblo used for Jacka's "Never Blink." The reason I took it was to use as a learning tool when it came to sampling because I knew where the sample came from. Hopefully I don't get too hated on for it, like I said it was used as a tool to help me learn sampling.

Anyways here are some of my beats, let me know what I need to work on.

http://www.myspace.com/kave100

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
Producers use common samples all of the time it's nothing rare, what matters is how you flip the specific sample.

Beat 1: I like it a lot, I would turn the levels on the Clap up a bit, add some wetness to it, maybe some EQ. This beat needs a solid hook, I was sitting listening waiting for the hook to kick in and it never did, I was disappointed. Add some Synth to this track, different hits on the beginning of every other bar, you want to build up towards the hook, etc. Add more to it. I could hear Jay Tee on this.

Beat 2: This isn't my style, I can hear the bass sounds, and it sounds like a beat boxer? Vocal bass, or whatever. Reminds me of Doo Wop. The main bass doesn't sound good, and it also goes out of tone/pitch, which should be fixed. You flipped the sample well, I don't like the snare, I like the kick drum.

Beat 3: Snare is way too low. You need to turn those snare drums up. Your snare drum should be louder than your hats, you don't want the levels of your hats interfering, so, bring that Snare/Clap up, and maybe layer it. You want those snares to stand out. Rest sounds ok.

Beat 4: Won't Play? For some reason. Might want to re upload that beat unless it's me, but I tried several times and it doesn't play.

Overall, for just starting out, you have a good style devloping. Beat 1 is by far the best sounding beat on the page, melody wise, percussion wise, and mix wise. For tips, there is not much I can tell you, you know if you are a composer/producer, you need to work at every part of your game. From making your drums/percs as tight as possible, to developing your melodies, your bass lines, to getting the proper sounding mix. Work at everything. That's what I do, I pay attention to every aspect, and if I bring one part of my process up a notch, it all has to come up a notch, feel me?

So, excel, practice, practice, practice. And don't get too attached to your beats, they are only beats. If you want to get out there, shoot your music to artists you want to work with, and see if they will get down on one of your beats, don't worry about the money right away, you need to build a name for yourself too and once you start working with more artists and developing your sound, you can develop your worth, and when you find out how much your worth, you can put that on your music. But, don't be afraid to give beats away, or sell them for very cheap $50-$100. Build your name.

Dec 13, 2006
www.stashonline.com
Check out the "Instrumental" section in Stash Magazine where we interview producers such as Amp Live, JR Rotem, Domino, Dan the Automator, The Mekanix, Genessee, Cozmo, and more about what type of equipment they use and tips and advice.

stashonline.com

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
Focus on a basic arrangement also.

For example,

4/8/16/8/16/8/16/8/4

Or

4/16/8/16/8/16/8/4

Or

4/8/12/8/12/8/12/8/8

In Rap music, a typical verse is 16 bars, chorus is almost always 8 bars, intros and outros are 4 bars. However, your verses don't need to be 16 bars, most commercial songs and modern songs, pop songs, want to get right to the hook. The point being, the hook is the main part of the joint, if you have a banging hook, you want it all over the song. Due to this, verses can range anywhere from to as little as 8 bars, to 10 bars, 12 bars. Bridges can be 8 bars. Learn about arrangement, listen to how songs are arranged.

Focus on everything.

Hope that helps,

Samos

Dec 10, 2006
Thanks for the input and I'll definitely check out that section of Stash Magazine.

To be honest with you, I didn't make these beats structured as a song. I guess you would call them more like blueprints or a skeleton. I know they're probably missing a hook, bridge, change up in the tracks etc. I also know my mastering on them are poor but it's something I'm still working on. I'm doing a lot of research and a lot of trial and error.

Anyone else feel free to comment, I know there are a few producers on here.

Jun 5, 2004
i make a couple beats but i aint like a experienced producer... i make most of mine from scratch, no samples so...

but your beats are pretty tight for just starting out. but it seems like all it is is the samples from other songs and just your drums....like they sound like therye gonna be tight and change and bring it back, but its way too repetitive... u need to add some sounds, drop some sounds, somethin... try doin like samos was sayin and try to work an arrangement... u will get the hang of it easily.

try adding your own shit, synths, bells whistles, bass, whatever, so the beat sounds like you incoorparated some originality into it. u would be surprised how you can put your own keys on top of a sample and it goes together hella good

overall i would say that u got some hits in the making, they just need work

Dec 10, 2006
uhhh is it me or is beat 1 an exact copy?????
Did you read my post at all? I used that sample purposely because I knew the sample and used it as a learning tool since I'm just starting out. For sampling I needed to learn how to pitch change, time stretch, loop, and set the right tempo and I used that sample to help me out.

A few big time producers recommended trying to "recreate" beats when first starting out so you learn how everything comes together. Well I'm just starting out and that's what I attempted to do with that sample...

Apr 7, 2006
i think its better to dig up ur own samples, or if ur gonna a common sample flip it in your own style. beat 1 is the prime example of that. yeh the drums u switched up but switch up the actual sample at hand. but i see it was a practice thing to learning sampling so cant really criticize.

beat 2.. not sure sure about that sample. and it has no real bass in it, and imo bass really gives the beat dimension.

beat 3 is pretty sick. just give it a bit more. if u know wut i mean.

beat 4 the choir seems offbeat. u compose everything on that? sounds good just get he choir to go with it.

and im with Samos.. develop a pattern or how the beat is arranged.