Help keep Mob Music Alive! Contribute to a public searchable/sortable database....

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 4, 2021
To any and all collectors of early bay area rap/mob music, please help me try to make a master list of albums! A significant amount of older shit has seen new life via digital release on Amazon, Spotify, Deezer, iTunes, etc, but there is still plenty that has not, and likely never will, see digital releases. I had a hard drive failure probably 15 years ago, and while I have managed to pick a lot of it back up, I remember a bunch of albums I don’t personally have, and can’t seem to find. I’m positive Chunk has more albums, for example, and basically all my discogs are missing early albums. I replaced most of the mainstream shit with scene releases, but it’s impossible to know exactly what I am missing- So I’m like “fk it, let’s make a database for myself and anyone in the same position.” My hope is the value of such a thing will be enough incentive for a couple mfkz to kick down.

I am trying/going to parse the text and read them all into a single SQL database, but that shit is proving to be a fkin bitch. It’s only half the mfkz that named the folder some dumbassshit, or put hella $$ I around it, or wrote !!!dope!!! at the end. Even without rookie BS, it is still proving tricky to standardize shit with cities or other info tacked on in with parens or brackets. It don’t really matter what the files are named- I’ma just store the folder contents in another table with the audio info- all dupes are not made equally, and it’d be nice to see if a mfka could upgrade some of these 64bit POS. (BTW, keep your eye out for Little_Bruce_and_Mac_Dre-The_Super_Sig_Tapes-WEB-2010-DNR I was bitchin nobody bothered to do a WEB rip of it yet, and apparently it happened to be in the room with the right people, lol).

Anyway, parsing a copy of a predb will be cornbread like Jiffy (would ya come and swooop me….I’m in yo citayyyyy), and anything appearing there must have therefore had a digital release. Since ENRAGED were the only cats plugin exclusively digital bay albums (CR is old school and only rip pressies), and they dipped out last April, the predb won’t be an exact copy of what’s available, but it’ll be a shitload and easy to integrate. I know Spotify has a public API, but I am not familiar with it, and I am not sure how readily I could set up an ETL into the same db.

My ultimate interest is a list of albums I couldn’t pay money to get a copy of, even if I wanted to (barring randomly bumping into one on ebay). If I can just bump that shit on Spotify or whatever, I’ma go ahead and do it. However, I started my collection round abouts 95-96, and its 2021. CDs got scratch, lost, or stolen. HDD’s die. Fk, people die...or even just lose interest cause they got other shit goin on in their lives, lol. I’ve taken a couple multi-year sabbaticals, myself- and lost track of almost everyone I know that mighat have an intact repo for me to clone. It’s been like 15years since half my down time was spent eye-fuckin other people’s shares and mentally comparing it to my own. At this point, I don’t know what to look for, unless I know what to look for. We can talk about where to go from there amongst those deciding to participate, but let’s start by getting a communal list, enumerating what exactly there is, and whom may have access to a copy. If any of this sounds interesting to you, shoot me a message so I can keep track- probs just make a discord server or someshit.

I made a gmail account specifically for this, and started a public/unlcoked google sheet. Just make a new tab with your name (or leave it anonymous), and paste your list. You can msg me a pastebin link, if that is preferable.

Props to any/all that fuck wit me. D

Below are simple instructions (Windows only, sorry- no hablo Macs) to produce a text list of your albums, without the need of an external utility. If you can’t get them cleaned up without much effort, just paste it as is, and I will parse it. I am grateful for anyone that takes the time to contribute, and the information is significantly more important to me than uniform formatting

If your parent directory is not subdivided (for example, by year, ABC, etc)

Go to your parent directory
Hit CTRL+A
Hold SHIFT and RightClick
“Copy as path”
Open a blank text file and paste
On the first line, highlight everything up to the album name
CTRL+C
CTRL+H
CTRL+V
Replace all.

If your parent directory is subdivided

Go to top level directory in explorer
Click your cursor in the Search field to activate it
In the newly displayed Search toolbar, find the drop down menu for TYPE
Click folder, and wait for it to finish listing
Hit CTRL+A
Hold SHIFT and RightClick
“Copy as path”
Open a blank SPREAD SHEET
Paste
[I would CTRL+H and eliminate as much as possible before I…]
Text to columns, by delimiter, on the backslash

Apr 4, 2021
https://github.com/D-Noch/MobMusic_TheSQL

I'm a python novice *at best* - I've never in my life fked with regex before - nor have I ever fked with Git. Furthermore, I don't know how much time I am going to have to put into this/when. Nevertheless, here is the progress, for anyone that is interested.

Much gratitude for all that kick in on this - The process is an end in itself, but the final product isn't nearly as useful if it is just my shit, lol

When I get a chance, I will store a copy of the output so there is no learning curve. Pretty sure this is a longshot, but anyone that knows any, or is interested in learning any of the following: python/regex/git/mysql/webdev, get at me. I'd love to be doin this with someone besides myself (If you know literally zilch about any of that, but are still interested, don't let it stop you...pretty much, neither do I- but I got all the resources in the world to learn it)

Props: RAVAGE
Apr 4, 2021
Whats up my boy D-Noch this is JVS, you know me from TheBaySlaps.com. Good to see you on the Siccness.
Lol, people either don't get it or don't give AF- it's good though; digitalec and Remix-Dev have been chill.

Either way, I can't remember who has came through from where - but anyone that ain't swung by the discord to spit shit about music, new and old. It def ain't no tricky shit, but the point is conversation - as an alternative to posts/comment threads

https://discord.gg/tbrkuuJN2k